Which Harvard course should I take?

In summary, the speaker is considering taking math courses at Harvard and is seeking advice on which course to start with. They have a good background in high school math and have studied calculus using Apostol's two calculus volumes. They are interested in math 25* but are unsure if it is the right choice. They are advised to attend the first week of classes and consider their goals and time management before making a decision. They are also advised to meet with the math undergrad chair for guidance.
TheLastMagician
Hi, apologies if I'm on the wrong website or anything. I'll be starting math at Harvard next year but am at a loss as to which course I should start with. I have a good background in competition math (so I know the essentials of most elementary math topics), finished working through Apostol's two calculus volumes a few months ago and have been dabbling into things like linear and abstract algebra but with no clear direction. I would say I'm fairly strong at proofs but I will probably end up taking math 101* at some point.

To summarize, I know high school math well and have studied calculus using Apostol's two calculus volumes.

Would you say math 25* is a good choice? I heard it's pretty tough-going...

Thanks

*The courses I'm referring to: http://www.math.harvard.edu/pamphlets/beyond.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
25 sounds like fun, depending on how proof heavy it is. I haven't really had intensive proof classes, but I'm about to take one here next semester or so; it's required for a maths degree. So that really seems like the big difference between 23 and 25 to me. Also, the maximum allotment for the homework is the same for both classes (15 hours/week).

My opinion, if you're into math, and are going for a math degree, go for gold. If you think you're capable of it, then you probably are. Sign up, and do it. :smile:

You should attend all of the courses you are considering for the first week to get a better idea of what you want to do. It would also be very informative to look at the q scores as this will give you a very good idea of the workload.

TheLastMagician said:
To summarize, I know high school math well and have studied calculus using Apostol's two calculus volumes.

Would you say math 25* is a good choice? I heard it's pretty tough-going...

You say where you are coming from but not where you're going. What classes you ought to take depends almost entirely on your goals. If you have done all the problems in Apostol I & II, and understood the proofs, and preferably can work them out yourself now that you understand them, then you should find Math 25 to be mostly straightforward. The advice http://www.math.harvard.edu/pamphlets/freshmenguide.html is quite good.

But it's a matter of time management. There are many other things to do at Harvard. What else do you want to do? There's time for only so much.

Incidentally, the page you reference says "Those who are taking or have taken Math 23, 25, or 55 should not take 101." Why do you think you'll want to take 101? If, after Apostol, you feel unsure of your ability to deal with proofs properly, then something is wrong. But regardless, things are set up for you to try the level of course you want and then drop back to something easier after a couple of weeks if you think you made a poor choice.

You should try to meet with the math undergrad chair to help you decide. Harvard has a very long time you can add courses and an even longer drop period so just attend the classes you are interested in and you will be fine.

have you read this page?

http://www.math.harvard.edu/pamphlets/freshmenguide.html

It gives explicit criteria for choosing among those courses.

I am a little puzzled by your description of your background since you say you have read apostol but mention only beginning to dabble in linear algebra. apostol devotes some 150 pages to linear algebra in volume 2, and has already treated a lot of it in volume 1, which is repeated in volume 2. and when you say you have worked through apostol do you mean you have done most of the problem sets?

in my view, much depends on who is teaching which course. the harder courses often have excellent professors. I gather from online viewing that Benedict Gross e.g. is quite good, and he apparently often teaches some of these courses.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a Harvard course?

When deciding which Harvard course to take, you should consider your academic interests, career goals, and any prerequisite courses you may need to fulfill. Additionally, consider the course format (lecture, seminar, etc.), class size, and the professor's teaching style.

2. How do I determine the difficulty level of a Harvard course?

You can determine the difficulty level of a Harvard course by looking at the course description and syllabus, reviewing feedback from previous students, and speaking with the professor or academic advisor. Additionally, you can consider the amount of reading, assignments, and exams required for the course.

3. Can I take a Harvard course outside of my major or field of study?

Yes, Harvard encourages students to explore courses outside of their major or field of study. However, be sure to consult with your academic advisor to ensure the course fits into your overall academic plan and schedule.

4. How do I know if a Harvard course will count towards my degree requirements?

You can check the course catalog or speak with your academic advisor to see if a Harvard course will count towards your degree requirements. Additionally, you can see if the course fulfills any general education or elective requirements.

5. Can I switch to a different Harvard course after the semester has started?

In most cases, it is possible to switch to a different Harvard course after the semester has started. However, you may need to get permission from the professor and make up any missed coursework. It is best to speak with your academic advisor before making any course changes.