Which of the functions are diffeomorphisms

In summary: Just show that e^x+x is bijective and you're done.In summary, the homework statement is that there are three diffeomorphisms: 2x, x^3, and e^x+x.
brainslush

Homework Statement

Decide which ones of the following maps f: are diffeomorphisms.
f(x) = 2x, x^2, x3, e^x, e^x + x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think 2x, x^3 are diffeomorphisms. They are bijective and their inverses are differentiable

x^2 and e^x are not bijective. => no diffeomorphisms

Well I'm not sure about e^x+x. I guess that's it is an diffeomorphism but I haven't found a way to proove it, since I don't know how to derive the inverse.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you certain that x^3 is a diffeo? It is certainly bijective and differentiable, but is it's inverse invertible?

I was also under the impression that diffeomorphism were infinitely differentiable (=smooth). You might have defined it another way, but if my impression is correct then you're not done with showing differentiability...

You are right.
According to my textbook and the lecturenotes, a diffeomorphism is a bijecctive map f:M->M' between smooth manifolds s.t. f and f^-1 are both smooth.

Well, this would lead to the conclusion that only e^x + x is a diffeomorphism.
In this case I need a hint how to derive the inverse of e^x+x.

brainslush said:
You are right.
According to my textbook and the lecturenotes, a diffeomorphism is a bijecctive map f:M->M' between smooth manifolds s.t. f and f^-1 are both smooth.

Well, this would lead to the conclusion that only e^x + x is a diffeomorphism

2x will still be a diffeo too...
e^x+x will probably be a diffeomorphism but did you prove it yet?

And again you are right. I forgot that also a constant can still be diverentiated.

To be honest, I've no idea how to proove that e^x + x is a difeomorphism, without finding its inverse. I read something about the Lambert W-Function but I've no clue how this fits into the image

brainslush said:
And again you are right. I forgot that also a constant can still be diverentiated.

To be honest, I've no idea how to proove that e^x + x is a difeomorphism, without finding its inverse. I read something about the Lambert W-Function but I've no clue how this fits into the image

I have no idea how to find the inverse of e^x+x, but all is not lost however. You could apply the inverse function theorem. It would be very easy to show that e^x+x is a local diffeomorphism with that.
The only thing which rests you is showing that e^x+x is bijective. You could prove this by showing that e^x+x is a continuous, increasing function whose limits satisfy
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \pm \infty}{f(x)}=\pm \infty[/tex].

Thanks. I never used the inverse function theorem before but it looks quite simple.

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that preserves the smoothness of a space. It is a one-to-one and onto mapping between two different spaces that is differentiable in both directions.

2. How is a diffeomorphism different from a regular function?

Unlike regular functions, diffeomorphisms preserve the smoothness of a space and are differentiable in both directions. This means that the inverse of a diffeomorphism is also a diffeomorphism, whereas the inverse of a regular function may not exist or may not be differentiable.

3. What are some real-world applications of diffeomorphisms?

Diffeomorphisms are used in many areas of science and engineering, including computer graphics, fluid dynamics, and robotics. They are particularly useful in creating smooth and realistic computer animations and simulations.

4. How do you determine if a function is a diffeomorphism?

To determine if a function is a diffeomorphism, you need to check if it is one-to-one, onto, and differentiable in both directions. This can be done by finding the inverse of the function and checking its differentiability.

5. Are all diffeomorphisms bijective?

Yes, all diffeomorphisms are bijective, meaning they are both one-to-one and onto. This is because a diffeomorphism is a type of isomorphism, which by definition is bijective.