Which of these transformations are linear?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary conditions for a transformation to be linear, which are satisfying the equations T(v + w) = T(v) + T(w) and T(kv) = kT(v). The variables v and w represent vectors in the domain of the transformation. The problem statement did not provide any additional information.
mahrap
$$y_{1}=2x_{2}$$
$$y_{2}=x_{2}+2$$
$$y_{3}=2x_{2}$$

I know that in order for a transformation to be linear it has to satisfy:

I) $$T(v + w) = T(v) + T(w)$$
II) $$T(kv) = kT(v)$$

But what are v and w in this case?

note: v and w are vectors and are suppose to have arrows on top of them but I was too lazy to figure out how to type this out :P

Physics news on Phys.org
mahrap said:
$$y_{1}=2x_{2}$$
$$y_{2}=x_{2}+2$$
$$y_{3}=2x_{2}$$

I know that in order for a transformation to be linear it has to satisfy:

I) $$T(v + w) = T(v) + T(w)$$
II) $$T(kv) = kT(v)$$

But what are v and w in this case?
v and w are vectors in the domain of the transformation. Presumably they would look like this:
$$ v = \begin{bmatrix} v_1 \\ v_2\end{bmatrix}$$
$$ w = \begin{bmatrix} w_1 \\ w_2\end{bmatrix}$$

Is there information in the problem you haven't provided? When you post a problem, you need to provide the complete problem statement. Also, the three parts of the template are there for a reason - don't just delete them.
mahrap said:
note: v and w are vectors and are suppose to have arrows on top of them but I was too lazy to figure out how to type this out :P

Mark44 said:
v and w are vectors in the domain of the transformation. Presumably they would look like this:
$$ v = \begin{bmatrix} v_1 \\ v_2\end{bmatrix}$$
$$ w = \begin{bmatrix} w_1 \\ w_2\end{bmatrix}$$

Is there information in the problem you haven't provided? When you post a problem, you need to provide the complete problem statement. Also, the three parts of the template are there for a reason - don't just delete them.

Sorry about the formatting. I'll keep that in mind the next time I post. However, I did not leave out any parts of the problem. The problem simply asked which of these transformations are linear and then provided the 3 equations given.

Do you have enough information to start the problem now?

Related to Which of these transformations are linear?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that takes in a vector or matrix as an input and produces another vector or matrix as an output. It is characterized by two properties: additivity and homogeneity.

2. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can check if it satisfies the two properties of additivity and homogeneity. If the transformation preserves addition and scalar multiplication, then it is considered linear.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation is one that preserves the properties of additivity and homogeneity, while a non-linear transformation does not. Non-linear transformations can exhibit more complex behaviors and do not have a constant rate of change.

4. Why are linear transformations important in science?

Linear transformations are important in science because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena, such as physical processes, using mathematical equations. They also provide a framework for solving complex problems and making predictions.

5. Can a transformation be partially linear and partially non-linear?

Yes, it is possible for a transformation to have both linear and non-linear components. In this case, the transformation would be considered a non-linear transformation overall, but may exhibit linear behavior under certain conditions.