Which Prominent PhD Astrophysicists Have Pursued Different Fields?

• Thread starter Wastrophysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses several individuals with PhDs in Physics who have moved on to different branches, such as humanities, aerospace engineering, and music. It also mentions the importance of promoters in popularizing physics and retaining intelligent individuals in the field. However, some argue that individuals like Neil deGrasse Tyson, who are primarily known for their promotion of science, should not be compared to world-class scientists.
Wastrophysicist
Among some MIT professors, we find Alan Rickman has a PhD in Astrophysics, and he is a professor of Humanities, without even having a degree on it! Jeffrey A. Hoffman too, and he is a professor of Aerospace engineering. Curious, isn't?

Then it is Brian May, the guitarist of Queen (and I think he is famous in the Astrophysicist world just because of that). I don't know if Stephen Hawking did his PhD in Astrophysics or in Theoretical Physics, but he is an emeritus professor of Mathematics.

Do you know any other PhD's in Physics who moved on into such branches like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...re-jobs-go-begging.410271/page-2#post-4270358

This is really not that unusual. When I was an undergrad at UW-Madison, the instructor for 2 of my philosophy courses were Dan Siegel, who has a PhD in physics. Learning Philosophy of Physics from someone who has a PhD in physics was a lot more fulfilling and rewarding than from someone who has only a superficial knowledge of physics.

Zz.

A curious PhD astrophysicist may be Neil deGrasse Tyson, who has been doing nothing but to popularize Astrophysics, and for that he's considered to be in the same level as Carl Sagan. Sagan was also a promoter, but man, he did far more than Tyson.

It's curious to see how people raise promoters so they seem like genius of genius, which is not accurate (with some exceptions like Stephen Hawking).

Gjmdp said:
A curious PhD astrophysicist may be Neil deGrasse Tyson, who has been doing nothing but to popularize Astrophysics, and for that he's considered to be in the same level as Carl Sagan. Sagan was also a promoter, but man, he did far more than Tyson.

It's curious to see how people raise promoters so they seem like genius of genius, which is not accurate (with some exceptions like Stephen Hawking).

Promoters are important. Physics is incredibly interesting so promoting is actually helping people by imbuing them with knowledge.

Also, physics loses many intelligent people to fields like medicine. Had the field been popularized more, they may have stayed.

I have known many biophysicists, trained in physics but switched to biology.
I think several early molecular biologists were trained as physicists.
I also have a friend who was an English major, but is now an auditory neurophysiologist.

Aspects of biology are pretty accessible to physical analyses.

BillTre said:
I have known many biophysicists, trained in physics but switched to biology.
I think several early molecular biologists were trained as physicists.
I also have a friend who was an English major, but is now an auditory neurophysiologist.

Aspects of biology are pretty accessible to physical analyses.
Wow, it seems that with a PhD in Physics you can do anything, except physics hahah.

Likes BillTre
FallenApple said:
Promoters are important. Physics is incredibly interesting so promoting is actually helping people by imbuing them with knowledge.

Also, physics loses many intelligent people to fields like medicine. Had the field been popularized more, they may have stayed.
Indeed they are important. But Neil deGrasse Tyson can't be compared to Einstein or any world-class scientist, and it seems that in Media, deGrasse is indeed this scientist.

1. What exactly is a "Curious PhD Astrophysicist"?

A "Curious PhD Astrophysicist" is a scientist with a PhD in astrophysics who is passionate and constantly seeking new knowledge and understanding about the universe.

2. What does a typical day look like for a Curious PhD Astrophysicist?

A typical day for a Curious PhD Astrophysicist may involve conducting research, analyzing data, writing papers, attending conferences, and collaborating with other scientists. They may also spend time teaching and mentoring students.

3. What kind of research do Curious PhD Astrophysicists typically focus on?

Curious PhD Astrophysicists may focus on a wide range of topics, such as planetary science, galactic and extragalactic astronomy, cosmology, and gravitational waves. They may also study the properties of stars, black holes, and other astronomical objects.

4. How long does it take to become a Curious PhD Astrophysicist?

Becoming a Curious PhD Astrophysicist typically takes around 8-10 years of post-secondary education, including obtaining a bachelor's and master's degree in a related field, and completing a PhD program in astrophysics.

5. What skills are necessary for a Curious PhD Astrophysicist?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and physics, Curious PhD Astrophysicists need to have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also need to be proficient in computer programming and data analysis, as well as have strong communication and writing abilities.