Which sets are open and closed in a subspace?

In summary, the conversation is discussing questions related to topology and open sets. In the first question, the sets A and B are open in R, while C and D are open in Y. The openness of set E is uncertain. In the second question, the topic of subspace topology is discussed and it is stated that a set C is closed in Y if and only if it can be written as the intersection of a closed set D in X and Y. The correct definition of the subspace topology is also given.
Damascus Road
Here's two more question I'm working on in test prep.

2.) Let Y = [-1,1] have the standard topology. Which of the following sets are open in Y, and which are open in R.

A= (1,1/2) [tex]\cup[/tex] (-1/2,-1)
B= (1,1/2] [tex]\cup[/tex] [-1/2,-1)
C= [1,1/2) [tex]\cup[/tex] (-1/2,-1]
D= [1,1/2] [tex]\cup[/tex] [-1/2,-1]
E= [tex]\cup[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{1+n}, \frac{1}{n}[/tex] (union is from n=1 to infinity)

So, to start, I should I examine their complements?
My gut feeling is that A,B are open in R and C, D are open in Y and I'm not sure about E. 3.) I need to prove:
Let X be a topological space, and let Y [tex]\subset[/tex] X have the subspace topology. Then C [tex]\subset[/tex] Y is closed in Y iff C = D[tex]\cap[/tex] Y for some closed set D in X.

This has be a bit confused...
A subspace topology on Y is defined as
[tex] T_{Y} = {U \bigcup Y | U is open in X} [\tex]

So, simply, if D were open... it's basically the exact definition that I provided. Which gives that U is open.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
exmining their complements could be uesful in some cases but in others it should be resonably clear

a good example is 2)d)
[-1,1] is open in Y as it is Y, but clearly closed in R

for 3) your definition of the subspace topology is not quite correct it should be an intersection
[tex] T_{Y} = {U \cap Y | U \ is \ open \ in \ X} [/tex]

In 2., is set E a union of open intervals, or a union of closed intervals?

reasonable for the others but in d) is is a union of half open intervals in Y, but as they cover Y, they results in an open set as Y is open in itself

Related to Which sets are open and closed in a subspace?

1. What is topology studying 2,3?

Topology studying 2,3 refers to the branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of geometric objects that are unchanged by continuous deformations. In particular, it focuses on studying objects that have two and three dimensions.

2. What are some examples of objects in 2 and 3 dimensions studied in topology?

In topology, some examples of objects in 2 dimensions include circles, triangles, and squares. In 3 dimensions, examples include spheres, cubes, and cylinders.

3. What are the main applications of topology studying 2,3?

Topology studying 2,3 has various applications in different fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. It can be used to model and analyze networks, study the properties of DNA molecules, and understand the behavior of particles in space, among others.

4. How is topology studying 2,3 different from other branches of mathematics?

Compared to other branches of mathematics, topology studying 2,3 focuses on the qualitative aspects of geometric objects rather than their quantitative properties. It also studies the properties of objects that are unchanged by continuous deformations, rather than exact measurements.

5. What are some common techniques used in topology studying 2,3?

Some common techniques used in topology studying 2,3 include knot theory, homology, and simplicial complexes. These techniques help in understanding the topological properties of objects and their relationships with each other.