Why 1/k (Harmonic Series) Diverges

• Thread starter Destroxia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the Divergence Series Test states that if the limit of a series goes to 0, then the series diverges, but this is not always the case.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

If lim(k>inf) 1/k, goes to 0, why does it diverge?

Homework Equations

Divergent series test

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand why 1/k (harmonic series) diverges, when according to the divergent series test, it should converge to 0. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the "divergence series test"? Maybe I(we) know it by a different name? But the n-th term going of the series going to 0 is definitely necessary, but not sufficient for convergence of the series.

WWGD said:
What is the "divergence series test"? Maybe I(we) know it by a different name? But the n-th term going of the series going to 0 is definitely necessary, but not sufficient for convergence of the series.

Yes that is the same test. So is it just a confirmation for divergence, but inconclusive at L = 0?

RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

If lim(k>inf) 1/k, goes to 0, why does it diverge?

"It" doesn't diverge. ##\frac 1 k \to 0##.

Homework Equations

Divergent series test

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand why 1/k (harmonic series) diverges, when according to the divergent series test, it should converge to 0. [/B]

Be careful about distinguishing ##\frac 1 k## with the series ##\sum \frac 1 k##. The series and the sequence of its terms are different things.

LCKurtz said:
"It" doesn't diverge. ##\frac 1 k \to 0##.
Be careful about distinguishing ##\frac 1 k## with the series ##\sum \frac 1 k##. The series and the sequence of its terms are different things.

I'm sorry, I should've paid attention to the wording of my question. It should have been, why doesn't the series ##\sum \frac 1 k## converge? I was under the impression that if the limit of the series goes to 0, then the series converges. Yet if it doesn't it diverges. If ##\lim_{k\to\infty} \sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac 1 k## = 0, then it converges? I don't really understand.

RyanTAsher said:
I'm sorry, I should've paid attention to the wording of my question. It should have been, why doesn't the series ##\sum \frac 1 k## converge? I was under the impression that if the limit of the series goes to 0,

That doesn't make any sense. A series either converges, in which case it has a sum, or it diverges. There is no "limit of a series".

then the series converges. Yet if it doesn't it diverges. If ##\color{red}{\lim_{k\to\infty} \sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac 1 k = 0}##, then it converges? I don't really understand.
Again, that makes no sense. The ##k## in the summation is a dummy variable. There is no ##k## to take the limit of.

You are still confusing the limit of the ##k##th term with something else. The relevant theorem is : If the series ##\sum a_k## converges, then ##a_k\to 0##. The contrapositive statement is that if ##a_k## doesn't converge to ##0##, the series diverges, which is why it is sometimes called a divergence test.

What the theorem doesn't say is that if ##a_k\to 0## then ##\sum a_k## converges. That is the converse of the theorem and it isn't true.

RyanTAsher said:
I'm sorry, I should've paid attention to the wording of my question. It should have been, why doesn't the series ##\sum \frac 1 k## converge? I was under the impression that if the limit of the series goes to 0, then the series converges. Yet if it doesn't it diverges. If ##\lim_{k\to\infty} \sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac 1 k## = 0, then it converges? I don't really understand.
Your limit makes no sense, since in the sum, k takes on values 1, 2, 3, ... and so on.

Take another look at the wording of the theorem you are using -- the mistake you are making is one that many students make. For a series ##\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} a_k##, the Nth Term Test for Divergence, as it is usually called, says that if lim ak ≠ 0, the series diverges. The mistake that many new students make is in thinking that if if lim ak = 0, the series converges. THIS IS NOT TRUE, and has no connection with the Nth Term Test for Divergence. All it does is say whether a series diverges or not. It DOES NOT tell you that a given series converges.

Edit: LCKurtz beat me to it. The form of this theorem he cited is equivalent to what I wrote.

RyanTAsher said:

You have seriously misunderstood an important fact about infinite series: for convergence of ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n## it is necessary to have ##a_n \to 0## as ##n \to \infty##. However, that is not sufficient; in fact, the series ##\sum 1/n## is a good counterexample.

There are lots of proofs of divergence, but the easiest one is based on comparison with an integral. We have ##1/1 \geq 1/x## for ##1 \leq x \leq 2##, ##1/2 \geq 1/x## for ##2 \leq x \leq 3##, ##\ldots##. In general, ##1/k \geq 1/x## for ##k \leq x \leq k+1##. Thus, ##1/1 \geq \int_1^2 dx/x##, ##1/2 \geq \int_2^3 dx/x##, etc, so
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{n} \geq \left( \int_1^2 + \int_2^3 + \cdots + \int_N^{N+1} \right) \frac{dx}{x} = \int_1^{N+1} \frac{dx}{x} = \ln(N+1)[/tex]
This implies ##\sum_{n=1}^N 1/n \to \infty## as ##N \to \infty##, so the series diverges.

Thank you, all of you. I finally understand. I guess that's the question I was trying to state all along when I said

So is it just a confirmation for divergence, but inconclusive at L = 0?

I just meant, "Does it prove the series diverges, but not necessarily that the series converges if L = 0"

Thank you again for your time.

1. Why does the Harmonic Series diverge?

The Harmonic Series, represented as 1/k, diverges because as k approaches infinity, the terms in the series get smaller and smaller, but never reach 0. This means that the sum of the series also approaches infinity, making it divergent.

2. How can we prove that 1/k diverges?

One way to prove that the Harmonic Series diverges is through the use of the Integral Test. This test compares the series to an improper integral, and if the integral diverges, then the series also diverges. In the case of 1/k, the integral of 1/x from 1 to infinity diverges, therefore proving that the series is also divergent.

3. Is there a real-life application of the Harmonic Series?

Yes, the Harmonic Series is used in various mathematical and scientific calculations. For example, it is used to calculate the average resistance of a series circuit in physics. It is also used in estimating the number of comparisons needed in certain sorting algorithms in computer science.

4. Can the Harmonic Series ever converge?

No, the Harmonic Series can never converge. This is because the terms in the series never approach 0, which is a necessary condition for a series to converge. In fact, the sum of the series diverges to infinity.

5. Are there any other series that behave similarly to the Harmonic Series?

Yes, there are many other series that diverge similarly to the Harmonic Series. Some examples include the Geometric Series with a common ratio greater than 1, the p-series with a value of p less than or equal to 1, and the Alternating Harmonic Series. These series all have terms that do not approach 0, causing them to diverge.