Why are protons in the nucleus and electrons aren't?

In summary, the question is asking why protons are held together by the nuclear force in the nucleus, while electrons are not. The stability of an atom is due to an equilibrium between the nuclear force and the electrostatic force caused by the repulsion between protons. For electrons to exist, they must maintain a certain amount of energy, which is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. The difference in the behavior of electrons and other particles, such as muons, can be explained by the energy levels of the potential they are moving in.
FerN61

Homework Statement

Why are protons in the nucleus and electrons aren't??

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is the question I was asked. I understand that protons are held together by nuclear (or strong) force. I understand that an atom is stable because there's an equilibrium between this nuclear force and the electrostatic force caused by the repulsion between the protons. I also understand that for electrons to exist they must keep moving to keep a certain amount of energy, and that that is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. But I don't really know what my professor expects me to get at with this question, and reading introductions to quantum mechanics have just made me more confused. Is there a property or principle I'm missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
FerN61 said:
So this is the question I was asked. I understand that protons are held together by nuclear (or strong) force.
Good start - do electrons feel the strong nuclear force?
What forces do electrons feel?

I understand that an atom is stable because there's an equilibrium between this nuclear force and the electrostatic force caused by the repulsion between the protons. I also understand that for electrons to exist they must keep moving to keep a certain amount of energy,..
Well, electrons can exist at rest ... the atomic electrons do have quite a high energy though, and that has something to do with the potential they move in. Electrons in a container have a minimum energy level.

...and that that is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. But I don't really know what my professor expects me to get at with this question, and reading introductions to quantum mechanics have just made me more confused. Is there a property or principle I'm missing??
For a QM course - I imagine you will want an answer in terms of the energy levels of a potential. For instance, an atom can be bind a muon in the same way as it binds electrons ... but a muon can be inside the nucleus. What's the difference?

If this were a nuclear physics course I ask you to consider what happens to electrons inside the nucleus.

1. Why are protons positively charged and electrons negatively charged?

In the early 20th century, experiments led by J.J. Thomson and Ernest Rutherford showed that atoms consist of positively charged particles (protons) and negatively charged particles (electrons). The reason for this is that protons have a positive charge due to their composition of quarks, while electrons have a negative charge because they are fundamental particles with a negative charge.

2. How do protons and electrons interact in an atom?

Protons and electrons interact through electromagnetic forces. The positively charged protons in the nucleus attract the negatively charged electrons, keeping them in orbit around the nucleus. This attraction is balanced by the centrifugal force caused by the electrons' movement, resulting in a stable orbit.

3. Why are protons located in the nucleus of an atom?

Protons are located in the nucleus because they are much larger and heavier than electrons. The strong nuclear force holds protons together in the nucleus, while the weaker electromagnetic force is responsible for the interactions between the positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons.

4. Why don't electrons fall into the nucleus?

Electrons do not fall into the nucleus because of the laws of quantum mechanics. According to these laws, electrons exist in specific energy levels around the nucleus, and they can only exist in these energy levels. The electrons' energy level and the distance from the nucleus determine the stability of an atom.

5. How does the number of protons and electrons affect the properties of an atom?

The number of protons and electrons in an atom determines its atomic number and the element it represents. The number of protons also affects the atom's mass and the number of electrons determines its overall charge. The arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels also determines its chemical and physical properties.