Why are the Feynman lectures not good for beginners?

Thus, I would recommend to study the Feynman books with the help of a more rigorous book, such as Halliday and Resnick.In summary, Halliday and Resnick is a more simplified approach to college level physics, suitable for engineers and non-physics majors. Feynman's lectures, on the other hand, are much deeper and aim to teach students how to think like a physicist. They may not be suitable for all students, but are highly regarded by those who have had the opportunity to attend them. It is recommended to study Feynman's lectures alongside a more rigorous book like Halliday and Resnick.
member 620756
Is it because it is more rigorous than books like Halliday and Resnick? Or maybe you need to digest those books as a prerequisite for the feynman lectures? Or maybe people don't believe a regular person could digest the feynman lectures as a introductory level physics book? If someone is a beginner looking for a challenge on physics, would it be best just to read feynman, and to also do the exercises for the FLP? Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
H&R is like high-school physics + calculus. The idea of H&R is to make physics as simple as possible (but not simpler than that), to make physics straightforward and pedestrian. As such, it is suitable not only for future physicists, but also engineers and all others who need some college level physics.

Feynman, on the other hand, is much deeper. It tries to teach you not only how to use physics, but how to think like a physicist. It prepares you for a future scientist who will one day discover new fundamental results in physics. As such, it is suitable only to physics majors.

Likes wormbread, member 620756, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
Demystifier said:
H&R is like high-school physics + calculus. The idea of H&R is to make physics as simple as possible (but not simpler than that), to make physics straightforward and pedestrian. As such, it is suitable not only for future physicists, but also engineers and all others who need some college level physics.

Feynman, on the other hand, is much deeper. It tries to teach you not only how to use physics, but how to think like a physicist. It prepares you for a future scientist who will one day discover new fundamental results in physics. As such, it is suitable only to physics majors.
Thanks, I'll take feynman over H and R now.

Lado Limbe said:
Or maybe people don't believe a regular person could digest the feynman lectures as a introductory level physics book?
You should read Feynman's preface. He describes the type of students his course was targeting. The vast majority of students, even those majoring in physics, do not fall in that category, so his lectures wouldn't be a particularly good fit for an intro physics course.

Feynman's own assessment about the course was, "The question, of course, is how well this experiment has succeeded. My own point of view—which, however, does not seem to be shared by most of the people who worked with the students—is pessimistic. I don’t think I did very well by the students. When I look at the way the majority of the students handled the problems on the examinations, I think that the system is a failure."

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Well, Feynman seems to be too pessimistic in this point. I met some physicist colleagues who had the luck to attend Feynman's lectures, and they still are very enthusiastic about them. Feynman must have been a brillant lecturer. You can get a glimpse on Youtube, where you find many of his popular-science lectures, and even these are just addicting. Usually I'm not so keen on popular-science features, but Feynman was a true artist in the sense that he presented the material "as simple as possible but not simpler" (Einstein).

The Feynman Lecture books are, of course, also a gem. They are full of physical insights, treating everything from a very concise Feynman's personal point of view. Perhaps that's why it's considered wise to study a more conventional treatment besides the Feynman books.

Likes ibkev and Demystifier

1. Why are the Feynman lectures not considered good for beginners?

The Feynman lectures are not considered good for beginners because they are designed for advanced undergraduate or graduate level students who already have a strong background in physics and mathematics. The lectures assume a certain level of prior knowledge and may be difficult for beginners to understand without this foundation.

2. What makes the Feynman lectures challenging for beginners?

The Feynman lectures are challenging for beginners because they are highly theoretical and mathematical in nature. They do not provide a step-by-step approach or basic explanations of concepts, making it difficult for beginners to grasp the material without prior knowledge.

3. Are there any resources that can help beginners understand the Feynman lectures?

There are a few resources that can help beginners understand the Feynman lectures, such as study guides or supplementary materials that break down the complex concepts into simpler terms. However, these resources may not be as comprehensive as a dedicated introductory physics textbook.

4. Can beginners benefit from reading the Feynman lectures?

While the Feynman lectures may be challenging for beginners, they can still benefit from reading them. The lectures offer a unique perspective on physics and can help beginners develop critical thinking skills and gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any alternatives to the Feynman lectures for beginners?

Yes, there are many alternatives to the Feynman lectures for beginners, such as introductory physics textbooks, online courses, and popular science books. These resources are designed specifically for beginners and provide a more gradual and comprehensive approach to learning physics.