Why are there 4 dots in Einstein rings?

In summary, the images of the distant quasar in the recent press release show a pattern of undistorted images instead of the expected arcs. This phenomenon is often seen in other images as well, and seems to be related to the optics inside the telescope. There are more than two examples, and the reason for this is still unknown.
Buckethead
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Images of gravitational lensing often reveals 4 of the distant quasar (in addition to the center quasar) in the image. Why the specific number?
I was looking at the images of Einstein rings in a recent press release.

https://hubblesite.org/contents/media/images/2020/05/4613-Image?news=true

And in these images as well as others I have seen in the past, i.e.

https://www.space.com/28744-cosmic-lens-4-supernova-views-photo.html

there are many that show 4 images of the distant quasar instead of some other number and more interestingly, the images themselves are often undistorted instead of the expected arcs. There are many exceptions of course to both these observations. But especially in the link above, this phenomenon is unmistakable. Any particular reason for this?

Space news on Phys.org
Are there more than two examples? Or are you seeing the same two examples multiple times?

Vanadium 50 said:
Are there more than two examples? Or are you seeing the same two examples multiple times?
Four times, maybe ?

I believe this is related to the optics inside the telescope causing that effect, you see something similar looking at stars sometimes and there can be more than 4 depending on your telescope construction.

It has nothing to do with the telescope.

From the site I posted above:
Gravitational lenses produce different shaped images depending on the shape of the lensing body. If the lens is spherical then the image appears as an Einstein ring (in other words as a ring of light) (top); if the lens is elongated then the image is an Einstein cross (it appears split into four distinct images) (middle), and if the lens is a galaxy cluster, like Abell 2218, then arcs and arclets (banana-shaped images) of light are formed (bottom).

Vanadium 50 said:
The first link show images of 6 different lenses and the second link is another image taken in 2015

Motore said:

Thanks for the link. This sounds definitive, but I'm skeptical that this could be accurate. An oblong lens will not separate images into n number of images due to its symmetry. It should display a ring as in the first example or if offset, an arc, just a different size or shape. If you look at the examples, the images of the distant quasar are pinpoint like. It seems the only way you can get this is if the shape of the lens is also a crosslike shape. Since these images are suppose to reveal DM, that would indicate that the DM is crosslike shaped (along with the galaxy in the center or else there would be 4 dots and a ring. (or something like that). There is something very unusual going on here.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
I can see complete rings in several of those images - notably the top-middle one in the first link. Obvious explanation is that the intensity of lensed rays varies around the ring, so you see bright parts and can't see the dimmer parts. For an off-axis lens this isn't completely daft - you'd expect symmetry along the line through the lens and lensed object but not necessarily rotational symmetry.

Ibix said:
I can see complete rings in several of those images - notably the top-middle one in the first link. Obvious explanation is that the intensity of lensed rays varies around the ring, so you see bright parts and can't see the dimmer parts. For an off-axis lens this isn't completely daft - you'd expect symmetry along the line through the lens and lensed object but not necessarily rotational symmetry.
Yes, I see the rings now that I am looking more carefully. I'm still uncomfortable with this explanation however. For one thing, the first link shows very small galaxies (I think just clusters of starts) and so symmetry would be stressed. In addition, the bright spot are very distinct, not bright smear areas for example and the rings are also a very distinct intensity along their path. The 4th picture (bottom left) is also unusual as you still have the distinct dot, yet one is way off base. Also the 2nd picture( top center) show a very small amount of offset in the top dot. All these asymetries statistically speaking it seems would lead to very random images. Like a smear on one of the stars and maybe a distinct dot on the opposing star with the other 2 stars somewhere in the middle. It's just all these images are showing more organization for such a random set than just an axial symmetry might offer. I am however not opposed to your idea, there are after all only so many explanations available here and I'm no expert in optics.

1. Why are there 4 dots in Einstein rings?

The 4 dots in Einstein rings are a result of gravitational lensing, a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. When light from a distant object passes through a massive object, such as a galaxy, the light is bent and distorted, creating an "Einstein ring" with 4 images of the distant object.

2. How does gravitational lensing create 4 dots in Einstein rings?

Gravitational lensing occurs when the gravity of a massive object, such as a galaxy, bends the path of light from a more distant object. This bending of light results in multiple images of the distant object, creating the 4 dots in an Einstein ring.

3. Are all Einstein rings perfectly circular with 4 dots?

No, not all Einstein rings are perfectly circular with 4 dots. The shape and number of dots in an Einstein ring can vary depending on the mass and distribution of the lensing object, as well as the orientation of the observer and the source object.

4. Can we observe Einstein rings with the naked eye?

No, Einstein rings are typically only visible through powerful telescopes. The distortion of light is very small and requires precise measurements to detect. However, some larger and more massive gravitational lenses may be visible with the naked eye.

5. What can we learn from studying Einstein rings?

Studying Einstein rings can provide valuable insights into the distribution of matter in the universe and the effects of gravity on light. It can also help us better understand the properties of galaxies and dark matter. Additionally, studying Einstein rings can be used to measure the expansion rate of the universe and test the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity.