Why can we use periodic boundary conditions?

In summary: In this way, the boundary condition is imposed at the atom level and the problem with infinite crystal size is overcome.
henry wang
(Mentor note: moved here from noon homework thread hence no template)

I was studying vibration of a one-dimensional monatomic chain and the textbook used periodic boundary condition (PBC).
I wanted to justify the use of PBC, so I came up with this:
  • atoms deep inside the crystal sees an infinite crystal with periodic potential
  • atoms near the surface of the system do not see an infinite crystal nor periodic potential.
  • however there aren't many atoms near the surface so they contribute little to the property of the whole system.
  • therefore PBC can be used since the majority of the atoms sees periodic potential.
Is my understanding valid? And are there any mathematical way of justifying the PBC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
henry wang said:
(Mentor note: moved here from noon homework thread hence no template)

I was studying vibration of a one-dimensional monatomic chain and the textbook used periodic boundary condition (PBC).
I wanted to justify the use of PBC, so I came up with this:
  • atoms deep inside the crystal sees an infinite crystal with periodic potential
  • atoms near the surface of the system do not see an infinite crystal nor periodic potential.
  • however there aren't many atoms near the surface so they contribute little to the property of the whole system.
  • therefore PBC can be used since the majority of the atoms sees periodic potential.
Is my understanding valid? And are there any mathematical way of justifying the PBC?
To justify PBC, please consider the following:
In reality, the crystal size is limited at its ends. If one were to describe the waves at the crystal ends, the waves must have nodes there and so the waves are obliged to be standing (not travelling) and one can not correctly deal with the problem. To overcome this issue, one can suppose the PBC conditions to correctly deal with the traveling waves.

1. Why do we use periodic boundary conditions in simulations?

Periodic boundary conditions are used in simulations to mimic an infinite system. This is especially useful when studying systems that are too large or complex to simulate entirely, allowing for more accurate and efficient calculations.

2. How do periodic boundary conditions affect the behavior of atoms/molecules in simulations?

Periodic boundary conditions create a periodic repetition of the simulation box, meaning that atoms/molecules will interact with their periodic images as if they were in an infinite system. This can affect the behavior of particles near the edges of the box, as their interactions with these periodic images can influence their behavior.

3. Can periodic boundary conditions be used for all types of simulations?

No, periodic boundary conditions are most commonly used in simulations of systems that are in equilibrium, such as molecular dynamics simulations. They may not be suitable for simulations of highly non-equilibrium systems.

4. What are the advantages of using periodic boundary conditions?

As mentioned before, periodic boundary conditions allow for more efficient and accurate simulations of large or complex systems. They also eliminate edge effects that can occur in non-periodic simulations, where particles near the edges of the simulation box may behave differently due to their proximity to the edges.

5. Are there any limitations to using periodic boundary conditions?

One limitation of using periodic boundary conditions is that they may not accurately represent the behavior of systems in non-equilibrium conditions. Additionally, the choice of simulation box size and shape can also affect the accuracy of the results obtained from simulations with periodic boundary conditions.