Why Can't I Show the Simple Identity for the Spin-1 Operator in This Paper?

In summary, samalkhaiat has a simple technical problem. He is following a paper by Shore, G. Ann Phys. 137, 262-305 (1981), and he is unable to show a very simple identity for the non-abelian fluctuation operator (eq 4.37):D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2F_{\mu\nu}\right]\,\phi=-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\,\phi , (typo fixed).However, if the test function is a column vector, thenD_\mu(F_{
TriTertButoxy
I have a simple technical problem. I'm following a paper [Shore, G. Ann Phys. 137, 262-305 (1981)], and I am unable to show a very simple identity for the non-abelian fluctuation operator (eq 4.37):

[tex]D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2F_{\mu\nu}\right]\,\phi=-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\,\phi[/tex] , (typo fixed)​

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a test function and [itex](F_{\mu\nu})^{ab}\equiv gf^{abc}F_{\mu\nu}^{c}=[D_\mu,\,D_\nu][/itex], and hence [itex]D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}=D^2D_\nu-D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu[/itex] (color indices suppressed). So far, I have worked on the LHS, and I'm almost there:

[tex]\text{LHS}=(-D_\nu D^2+D^2 D_\nu-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/itex]
[tex]\phantom{LHS}=(-\underline{D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu}-[D_\nu,\,D_\mu]D_\mu+\underline{D^2D_\nu}-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]
combine underlined terms using identity stated above
[tex]=(-[D_\nu,\,D_\mu]D_\mu+D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]
then first term is [itex]-[D_\nu,\,D_\mu]D_\mu=+F_{\mu\nu}D_\mu[/itex], and 2nd and 3rd terms add
[tex]=(F_{\mu\nu}D_\mu-D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]
Finally, use product rule in 2nd term: [itex]D_\mu(fg)=(D_\mu f)g+f\partial_\mu g[/itex].
[tex]=F_{\mu\nu}(\partial+A)_\mu\phi-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi-F_{\mu\nu}\,\partial_\mu\phi[/tex]
to get
[tex]=F_{\mu\nu} A_\mu \phi-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex].

This is almost equal to RHS, except for that stupid [itex]A_\mu[/itex] term. How the hell do I get rid of it?!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\text{LHS}=(-D_\nu D^2+D^2 D_\nu-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi
[/tex]

how did you get this from
[tex]
D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}\right]
[/tex]

??

be careful with that last term in the square bracket, you have in total three mu index... also be carefull with upper and lower index.

There's a typo in my post. The identity should read:

[tex] D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2F_{\mu\nu}\right]\,\phi=-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\,\phi [/tex]

otherwise, the dimensions (and indices) don't work.
Also, I'm in Euclidean spacetime, where I don't need to worry about upper and lower indices.
I'm still stuck.

Last edited:
[itex][D_\mu,\,D_\nu]=D^2D_\nu-D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu[/itex]

Clearly, this is wrong, do you know why? you have a tensor on the LHS (which should be just [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex]) and vector on the RHS (which is [itex]\D_{\mu}F_{\mu\nu}[/itex]).

regards

sam

Last edited:
Whoops! Another typo. The identity should have read
[tex]D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}=D^2D_\nu-D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu[/tex]. I'm fixing this in my original post.
I'm still stuck.

If your test function takes values in the lie algebra of the gauge group,i.e., matrix-valued function;[itex]\Phi = \phi^{a}T^{a}[/itex], then

[tex]D_{\mu}\Phi = \partial_{\mu}\Phi + [A_{\mu},\Phi][/tex]

If it is a c-number function, then

[tex]D_{\mu}\Phi = \partial_{\mu}\Phi[/tex]

In both cases, the covariant derivative is distributive;

[tex]
D_{\mu}(F_{\mu\nu}\Phi) = (D_{\mu}F_{\mu\nu})\Phi + F_{\mu\nu}D_{\mu}\Phi
[/tex]

So, your LHS is equal to [itex] -(D_{\mu}F_{\mu\nu})\Phi[/itex]

regards

sam

This is very helpful, but I don't quite understand. Naïvely, I would expect the covariant derivative not to be distributive because the vector potential, [itex]A_\mu[/itex] is not an object that behaves like the derivative.

If my test function were a column vector, shouldn't I have
[tex]D_\mu(F_{\mu\nu}\phi)[/tex]
[tex]=(\partial+A)_\mu(F_{\mu\nu}\phi)[/tex]
[tex]=(\partial_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi+A_\mu F_{\mu\nu}\phi[/tex]
[tex]=(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi[/tex] <-- (this is wrong: see edit below)

Where did I go wrong in the maths? If you are right, then wouldn't the maths tell me so?

--EDIT--

Never mind! I now realized where I went wrong.
The last step in this post is wrong. I must add and subtract [itex]F_{\mu\nu}A_\mu\phi[/itex], so that
[tex]=(\partial_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi+A_\mu F_{\mu\nu}\phi-F_{\mu\nu}A_\mu\phi+F_{\mu\nu}A_\mu\phi[/tex]
[tex]=(\partial_\mu F_{\mu\nu}+[A_\mu,\,F_{\mu\nu}])\phi+F_{\mu\nu}(\partial_\mu+A_\mu)\phi[/tex]
[tex]=(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}D_\mu\phi[/tex]

So, samalkhaiat is right: the covariant derivative obeys the product rule, and hence the identity in the first post is shown to be true. Case closed.

Thanks, all!

Last edited:

Related to Why Can't I Show the Simple Identity for the Spin-1 Operator in This Paper?

1. What is a Spin-1 operator identity?

A Spin-1 operator identity is a mathematical representation of a physical property known as spin, which is an intrinsic angular momentum possessed by elementary particles. It is used to describe the behavior of particles under certain quantum mechanical operations.

2. How is a Spin-1 operator identity related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin is one of the fundamental properties of particles that is described by the Spin-1 operator identity. This operator is used to calculate the spin value of a particle in a specific direction and is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. Can you explain the mathematical representation of the Spin-1 operator identity?

The Spin-1 operator identity is represented by a matrix with a dimension of 3x3. This matrix is composed of three operators, known as the Pauli spin matrices, which represent the spin value of a particle in the x, y, and z directions. The matrix also includes a unit operator which ensures the matrix is Hermitian and satisfies the commutation relations of the spin operators.

4. What is the significance of the Spin-1 operator identity in particle physics?

The Spin-1 operator identity is crucial in particle physics as it allows us to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used to describe the spin properties of particles, which is essential in determining their interactions and behavior in various physical phenomena, such as magnetic fields and particle collisions.

5. How is the Spin-1 operator identity used in experiments and research?

The Spin-1 operator identity is a fundamental tool in experiments and research in particle physics. It is used to calculate the spin values of particles in different directions, which can then be compared to experimental data to verify theoretical predictions. It also helps in developing new theories and models to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level.