Why Can't I Sleep Despite Revising for Exams?

• Thread starter unseensoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the speaker has been studying for exams by studying in the evening and sleeping during the day. However, they have been unable to get proper sleep for the past two days and are feeling more tired as a result. They are looking for suggestions on how to improve their sleep and someone suggests exercising and reading a novel before bed. The speaker thanks them for their suggestions.
unseensoul
I've been revising for my exams throughout the whole last days.
What I've been doing is studying in the evening and sleeping (at least 8 hours, which is good enough, I think) during the day, because there's more silence around.
Anyway... since two days ago I can't get no proper sleep and I can't understand why this is happening! As result, I'm getting even more tired...

Any suggestions?! No, I'm not feeling nervous because of the exams...

Is it because my mind is still "working" while I try to get some sleep? I mean, because of been studying a lot...

I guess I should drink some alcohol before I go to bed, perhaps this would help me...

I'd like to "hear" your thoughts and suggestions about it!

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Exercise - go running or just walk for an hour each day.
It gives the material time to sink in and helps you sleep.

In addittion to mgb's suggestion (maybe not as much as an hour a day), maybe read a novel for 10 minutes before you turn off the light, to get your mind of the material you've been studying.

Thank you very much for your reply I'll follow your advices ;)

Best regards

Related to Why Can't I Sleep Despite Revising for Exams?

1. Why do I feel tired even though I can't fall asleep?

There are several possible explanations for this. One reason could be that you have an underlying medical condition, such as sleep apnea or anemia, that is disrupting your sleep and causing you to feel tired. Another possibility is that you have poor sleep habits, such as using electronic devices before bed or consuming caffeine too close to bedtime, that are making it difficult for you to fall asleep. It is also possible that you are experiencing stress or anxiety, which can make it difficult to relax and fall asleep.

2. How can I improve my sleep if I'm tired but can't get no sleep?

There are several steps you can take to improve your sleep. First, make sure you have a comfortable sleep environment, with a dark, quiet, and cool bedroom. Establish a consistent bedtime routine to signal to your body that it's time to sleep. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and heavy meals close to bedtime. Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to help you relax and fall asleep. If you continue to struggle with sleep, consider talking to a doctor or therapist for additional support.

3. Is it harmful to my health if I'm tired but can't get no sleep?

Prolonged lack of sleep can have negative effects on your health, both physically and mentally. It can weaken your immune system, increase your risk of chronic diseases, and affect your mood and cognitive function. It is important to address any underlying causes of your sleeplessness and make efforts to improve your sleep habits in order to maintain good overall health.

4. Can certain foods or supplements help me sleep if I'm tired but can't get no sleep?

Some foods and supplements are known to promote better sleep, such as foods high in tryptophan (an amino acid that helps produce sleep-promoting neurotransmitters) and magnesium (a mineral that can help relax muscles and promote sleep). These include bananas, almonds, and leafy greens. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements, as they may interact with other medications or have potential side effects.

5. Should I see a doctor if I'm tired but can't get no sleep?

If you continue to struggle with sleep despite making efforts to improve your sleep habits, it may be beneficial to see a doctor. They can help identify any underlying medical conditions or provide additional support and resources for improving your sleep. It is especially important to seek medical help if your lack of sleep is affecting your daily life and functioning.