Why did the pennies fly up when a skydiver dropped them?

In summary, the terminal velocity of a penny is only about 65mph, which is too slow to cause any damage when fired at into concrete and asphalt disks and a ballistics gel head with a human skull.
BrainMan
(Problem) I was watching a show and it showed a skydiver drop some pennies as he was falling. The pennies flew straight up into the air. I was wondering why this happened. Shouldn't the pennies have stayed next to the diver since they would have the same acceleration due to gravity? I know that wind resistance plays a part but the pennies should have less resistance because they have less surface area so they should fall down? I also thought that the pennies are actually staying in the same place and the diver was falling but shouldn't the pennies want to maintain the same speed because of Newton's first law? What is really going on in this example?

Physics news on Phys.org
The pennies do indeed have less air resistance acting on them, but, air resistance is a force (not an acceleration) so the pennies'/diver's masses come into play.

I think of "mass" as "a measure of resistance to acceleration"

So although the pennies have a smaller upward force on them from air resistance, they have a much lower resistance to acceleration, meaning that the smaller force results in a larger effect on the acceleration of the pennies.

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
The pennies do indeed have less air resistance acting on them, but, air resistance is a force (not an acceleration) so the pennies'/diver's masses come into play.

I think of "mass" as "a measure of resistance to acceleration"

So although the pennies have a smaller upward force on them from air resistance, they have a much lower resistance to acceleration, meaning that the smaller force results in a larger effect on the acceleration of the pennies.
If the pennies have less resistance to acceleration shouldn't they fall faster due to the acceleration due to gravity?

BrainMan said:
(Problem) I was watching a show and it showed a skydiver drop some pennies as he was falling. The pennies flew straight up into the air. I was wondering why this happened. Shouldn't the pennies have stayed next to the diver since they would have the same acceleration due to gravity? I know that wind resistance plays a part but the pennies should have less resistance because they have less surface area so they should fall down? I also thought that the pennies are actually staying in the same place and the diver was falling but shouldn't the pennies want to maintain the same speed because of Newton's first law? What is really going on in this example?

I think those pennies were thrown upward.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
I think those pennies were thrown upward.
ehild
No he just opened his hand and the pennies flew upward.

Now here is a surprise...

Mythbuster determined that the terminal velocity of a penny is (only) about 65mph...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2003_season )

Firing a penny at terminal velocity (65 miles per hour (105 km/h)) into concrete and asphalt disks and a ballistics gel head with a human skull failed to result in any penetrations, likely because the speed is too low and a penny's mass too small.

Where as the terminal velocity of a skydiver is faster at 122mph...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

..the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e., face down) free-fall position is about 195 km/h (122 mph or 54 m/s).

So that would appear to explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
CWatters said:
Now here is a surprise...

Mythbuster determined that the terminal velocity of a penny is (only) about 65mph...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2003_season )
Where as the terminal velocity of a skydiver is faster at 122mph...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity
So that would appear to explain it.
Yeah that was the show I saw it on. So is the terminal velocity of the penny just less than the diver?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Unlike in high-school (and some university) classes, air resistance is definitely not negligible ;)
I still would like to avoid getting a terminal velocity penny in my head though...

Likes 1 person
I had visions of the skydiver landing and then being hit by the coins he "dropped" earlier.

Likes 1 person
OK thanks guys!

What is the basic principle of skydiving?

The basic principle of skydiving is the force of gravity. When a person jumps out of a plane, they are pulled towards the ground by the force of gravity. This is what causes the person to accelerate downwards.

What is terminal velocity in skydiving?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that a skydiver can reach during freefall. It occurs when the force of gravity is balanced by the air resistance or drag force acting on the skydiver.

How does air resistance affect skydiving?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of a skydiver. As the skydiver falls through the air, their speed increases, causing the air resistance to also increase. At a certain point, the air resistance becomes equal to the force of gravity and the skydiver reaches terminal velocity.

Why do skydivers wear special suits?

Skydivers wear special suits to reduce air resistance and to control their fall. These suits are designed to be tight-fitting and have wing-like extensions, which help to increase the surface area and create more drag, allowing the skydiver to slow down their descent and control their direction.

What is the role of a parachute in skydiving?

A parachute is used to slow down the descent of a skydiver and bring them safely to the ground. When a skydiver pulls the ripcord, the parachute opens up and creates a large surface area, which increases the drag force and slows down the descent. This allows the skydiver to land safely on the ground.