Centrifugal acceleration in rotating frame

In summary, the conversation discusses a doubt about calculating the centrifugal acceleration of a point P in a rotating frame. The equations of centripetal force and centrifugal force are mentioned, and the question asks whether to consider the relative angular velocity or not. It is determined that the correct calculation is a'centrifugal = w_r^2 r, and the question is clarified to be asking for the centrifugal acceleration felt by the point P in the rotating frame. The difference between this question and a previous one is also clarified.
bznm

Homework Statement

I have a doubt about the way to calculate the centrifugal acceleration for a point P that rotates with angular velocity ##w_1## wtr a inertial frame on a platform that rotates with angular velocity ##w## (##w_1>w)##. I want to find the centrifugal acceleration in the rotating frame.

Homework Equations

Centripetal force = - centrifugal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have clear if I have to consider the relative angular velocity ##w_r=w_1-w##
and write ##a'_{centrifugal}=w_r^2 r##

or ##a_{centrifugal}=w_1^2 r- w^2 r##

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this question different from the one you asked in this thread, and which was answered in that thread?

you are right, it's similar. But it is a more general question and I wasn't sure that I wouldn't be wrong applying the reasoning that you linked...
Now I can conclude that ##a_{centrifugal}=w_r^2 r## and I don't have to subtract ##w_1^2r## and ##w^2r##... but what do I obtain if I do ##w_1^2r -w^2r##? A lot of thanks____

edit: Mmmmh, no. This question is different from the question that I have posted some days ago.
In that question I asked the acceleration of the ball in a non inertial frame.
In this question, I'm asking for the centrifugal acceleration that the point P "feels" in the frame of the platform.
In the question you linked, I asked for a', the total acceleration that the point P "feels" in the platform frame.

Last edited:
bznm said:
In this question, I'm asking for the centrifugal acceleration that the point P "feels" in the frame of the platform.
'Felt' acceleration is frame independent. If it weren't, whether a dropped class breaks upon hitting the floor would depend on what frame of reference we were using to measure it. So 'in the frame of the platform' is meaningless.
Also, note that centrifugal acceleration of a rotating body with constant distance from the axis of rotation will always be negative, because it has to undergo a positive centripetal acceleration in order to maintain the constant distance.
In general, the word 'centrifugal' is best used only for things like string tensions and felt accelerations. 'Centripetal' acceleration is the important concept, which is what keeps the body in circular motion.

1. What is centrifugal acceleration in a rotating frame?

Centrifugal acceleration in a rotating frame refers to the apparent outward force experienced by objects in a rotating frame of reference. It is caused by the inertia of an object wanting to continue moving in a straight line while the frame rotates around it.

2. How is centrifugal acceleration different from centripetal acceleration?

Centrifugal acceleration is the outward force experienced by objects in a rotating frame, while centripetal acceleration is the inward force experienced by objects moving in a circular path. Centripetal acceleration is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal acceleration is a result of the object's inertia.

3. What is the equation for calculating centrifugal acceleration?

The equation for calculating centrifugal acceleration is a = ω^2 * r, where a is the centrifugal acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation.

4. How does centrifugal acceleration affect objects in a rotating frame?

Centrifugal acceleration affects objects in a rotating frame by causing them to experience a force that appears to push them outward from the center of rotation. This can be seen in the curved path of objects in a rotating frame, as well as the tendency for objects to move away from the center if not held in place.

5. Are there any practical applications of centrifugal acceleration in a rotating frame?

Yes, there are many practical applications of centrifugal acceleration in a rotating frame. Some examples include centrifuges used in laboratories to separate substances, amusement park rides that spin riders in a circular motion, and the centrifugal force experienced by astronauts in space as their spacecraft rotates.