Why do I observe ice formation on the exterior of this pipeline?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of ice formation on the exterior of pipes between the compressor and reactor, and the possible reasons for it. The small opening of the pressure control valve and adiabatic expansion are suggested as potential causes, but further investigation is needed to determine the exact reason. It is proposed that closing off the supply altogether with a regular valve may eliminate the issue. The conversation also mentions the use of a bypass line to regulate pressure and the continual mass transfer from the buffer vessel to the reactor.
Boon Jie
Hi all,

1579164290780.png

I would like to ask why is there ice formation on the exterior of the pipes between compressor to reactor when there is no flow passing through
or what kind of phenomenon is this?

My colleagues have suggested PV=nRT and adiabatic process as the possible reasons but I still feel that something is amiss

It could be the small opening of the pressure control valve that let's pressure sip from buffer vessel into reactor that causes the pressure differential and maybe temperature drop(?)

Else, I'm not sure how this freezing outside pipeline occurs

Please advise,
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Boon Jie said:
It could be the small opening of the pressure control valve
There should be no opening at all. Insert a regular valve to close off the supply altogether and the phenomenon should disappear.

Colleagues are correct about this adiabatic expansion issue.

• Informative
Likes Boon Jie
Apparently they do have a small opening the valve in the form of a bypass line, as a sort of pressure regulation using the small opening...because the reactor pressure will drop because of reaction, the small opening acts as continual supply of C2H4 as to maintain/ increase pressure in the reactor

But adiabatic expansion only applies to no heat / mass transfer, which in this case there is continual mass transfer across the valve/ pipeline from buffer vessel to the reactor

Adiabatic expansion means no heat transfer; the mass flows from high p to low p and expands.

1. Why does ice form on the exterior of this pipeline?

Ice formation on the exterior of a pipeline is a natural occurrence that happens when the temperature of the pipeline's surface is below freezing point. This causes any moisture in the air to freeze and form ice on the surface of the pipeline.

2. Is ice formation on a pipeline a cause for concern?

Yes, ice formation on a pipeline can be a cause for concern as it can lead to blockages and potential damage to the pipeline. It can also increase the risk of accidents, such as slips and falls, for workers who need to access the pipeline.

3. What factors contribute to ice formation on a pipeline?

The main factors that contribute to ice formation on a pipeline are low temperatures, high humidity, and the presence of moisture on the pipeline's surface. Other factors, such as wind and air flow, can also play a role in the formation of ice.

4. How can we prevent or reduce ice formation on pipelines?

There are several methods that can be used to prevent or reduce ice formation on pipelines. These include insulating the pipeline, using heat tracing systems, and implementing de-icing techniques such as using chemicals or mechanical methods.

5. Can ice formation on a pipeline be a sign of a larger issue?

In some cases, ice formation on a pipeline can be a sign of a larger issue, such as a leak or damage to the pipeline. It is important to monitor the pipeline and address any ice formation promptly to prevent further damage or accidents.