Why do these antennas have different radiation patterns?

In summary, the different antenna radiation patterns are due to the different spacing of voltage and current points around the circumference of the loop.
qnach
In Kraus book on antenna (3ed page 203)
example 7-4.1
the difference between those antenna is (to my understanding) only the wave length.
How could they have different radiation pattern?

Engineering news on Phys.org
qnach said:
example 7-4.1
the difference between those antenna is (to my understanding) only the wave length.

can you please photo the diagrams and post here
few of us have easy access to that book

Or perhaps you could refer to a diagram in the 2nd edition of Kraus's book, which is available as a PDF from several web sites.

davenn said:
can you please photo the diagrams and post here
few of us have easy access to that book
you can simply remove the word of "Kraus" the page number...etc and change the question into:

Why does an antenna has different radiation pattern at different wave-length?

Stephen Tashi said:
Or perhaps you could refer to a diagram in the 2nd edition of Kraus's book, which is available as a PDF from several web sites.

It is on the chapter about small-loop antenna, i.e. chapter 6 of 2nd ed.
The example does not seems appear in the 2nd ed. But it is in the Figure 6-10.

qnach said:
It is on the chapter about small-loop antenna, i.e. chapter 6 of 2nd ed.
The example does not seems appear in the 2nd ed. But it is in the Figure 6-10.

From page 248

Attachments

• AntennaPat.jpg
    AntennaPat.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 483
Stephen Tashi said:
From page 248
yes, thanks. but
Why does an antenna has different radiation pattern at different wave-length?

qnach said:
example 7-4.1
A small loop may be regarded as two closely spaced rod antennas driven in anti-phase. This applies when looking from any direction in the plane of the loop. It occurs because there is no phase shift around the loop, because it is small compared with the wavelength, and the rods are being driven at opposite ends.
As the wavelength is reduced, there starts to be a phase difference between the two antennas, and the various patterns are simply the array factor of two antennas having the particular phase and spacing. For instance, when the circumference becomes a full wavelength, the two antennas become in-phase and radiation is then broadside to the plane of the loop. I can explain this in more detail if wanted.
The radiation from all antennas is fundamentally caused by the acceleration of charges in the conductor. This also applies to loop antennas. From memory, Kraus does not use this approach, whilst Terman does.

qnach said:

Is there a confusion here? The antennas in the illustration are operating at the same wavelength but they have different diameters.

Aaron Crowl said:
Is there a confusion here? The antennas in the illustration are operating at the same wavelength but they have different diameters.
My slight error. I think we mean loop diameter, which is equivalent to altering the wavelength.

Likes davenn
Aaron Crowl said:

where the diameters are different portions or multiples of the (fixed) operating freq and are expressed in wavelengths or parts there of, of that frequency

The diameter of the loop doesn't matter, by itself, but the circumference does and this depends on the diameter.

As you go around the circumference of a loop which is resonant, you would observe a standing wave pattern with alternate high and low voltage and current points.
This spacing of voltage and current points will vary with frequency.

It is the way that these are spaced that affects the radiation pattern.

In some directions, the resultant radiation will cancel due to the source radiations being out of phase with each other.
In other directions, the radiation will be in phase and the radiation will be enhanced.

There is an excellent antenna simulator called Eznec which is free to download in a demo version. It is great for learning about simple antennas and it produces results you could build if you wished.

If doing manual calculations, be careful to remember that two polarizations need to be considered, each having its own radiation pattern. Of course, they are generally in phase and add to just give a single polarization, but the problem still needs to be analysed.

1. Why do different antennas have different radiation patterns?

Different antennas have different radiation patterns because they are designed to transmit and receive radio waves in different ways. The shape, size, and orientation of the antenna elements determine the direction and strength of the radiation pattern.

2. What factors affect the radiation pattern of an antenna?

The radiation pattern of an antenna is affected by several factors, including the antenna's design, frequency, and placement. The shape and size of the antenna elements, as well as their orientation and spacing, play a significant role in determining the radiation pattern.

3. How do different frequencies affect the radiation pattern of an antenna?

The radiation pattern of an antenna can vary for different frequencies. This is because the size and shape of the antenna elements must be optimized for the specific frequency being transmitted or received. Higher frequencies require smaller antenna elements, resulting in a more focused and directional radiation pattern.

4. Why is the radiation pattern of an antenna important?

The radiation pattern of an antenna is important because it affects the overall performance and effectiveness of the antenna. A well-designed radiation pattern allows for efficient transmission and reception of radio waves, while a poorly designed pattern can result in weak or distorted signals.

5. Can the radiation pattern of an antenna be changed?

Yes, the radiation pattern of an antenna can be changed by adjusting the design, size, and orientation of the antenna elements. This can be done manually or through advanced technologies like beamforming, which allows for dynamic changes to the radiation pattern based on the direction of the signal.