Why do we conclude that r1-r2=0?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the proof of the statement that "$a \equiv b \pmod m \Rightarrow a,b$ give the same remainder when they are divided by $m$." The proof involved using the fact that $a \equiv b \pmod m$ implies $m \mid a-b$, and then using the definition of congruence and the properties of remainders to show that $a$ and $b$ have the same remainder when divided by $m$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :)

I am looking at the proof of the following sentence:
$a \equiv b \pmod m \Rightarrow a,b$ give the same remainder when they are divided by $m$.

That's the proof that my teacher gave:

Let $a \equiv b \pmod m$.So, $ m \mid a-b$

Let $a=q_1 \cdot m+r_1, 0 \leq r_1 < m$
and $b=q_2 \cdot m+r_2,0 \leq r_2<m$

then $a-b=(q_1-q_2) \cdot m+ (r_1-r_2)$

As $m \mid a-b \Rightarrow m \mid r_1-r_2$

As $-m<r_1-r_2<m \Rightarrow r_1-r_2=0$ $\Rightarrow r_1=r_2$.

Could you explain me the red part? :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:

$a \equiv b \pmod m \Rightarrow a,b$ give the same remainder when they are divided by $m$.

That's the proof that my teacher gave:

Let $a \equiv b \pmod m$.So, $ m \mid a-b$

Let $a=q_1 \cdot m+r_1, 0 \leq r_1 < m$
and $b=q_2 \cdot m+r_2,0 \leq r_2<m$

then $a-b=(q_1-q_2) \cdot m+ (r_1-r_2)$

As $m \mid a-b \Rightarrow m \mid r_1-r_2$

As $-m<r_1-r_2<m \Rightarrow r_1-r_2=0$ $\Rightarrow r_1=r_2$.

Could you explain me the red part? :confused:

$m|r_{1}-r_{2}$ so $ma=r_{1}-r_{2}$ for some integer $a$. If $a$ is non-zero, then $|r_{1}-r_{2}|$ would be at least as large as $|m|$, contrary to the inequality $-m<r_{1}-r_{2}<m$. Hence $a=0$, so that $r_{1}-r_{2}=0$

Fermat said:
$m|r_{1}-r_{2}$ so $ma=r_{1}-r_{2}$ for some integer $a$. If $a$ is non-zero, then $|r_{1}-r_{2}|$ would be at least as large as $|m|$, contrary to the inequality $-m<r_{1}-r_{2}<m$. Hence $a=0$, so that $r_{1}-r_{2}=0$

How do we conclude to the inequality $-m<r_{1}-r_{2}<m$? :confused:

evinda said:
How do we conclude to the inequality $-m<r_{1}-r_{2}<m$? :confused:

It follows from the inequalities $0 \leq r_1 < m$ and $0 \leq r_2<m$.

Fermat said:
It follows from the inequalities $0 \leq r_1 < m$ and $0 \leq r_2<m$.

I understand...Thank you! (Nod)

evinda said:

$a \equiv b\pmod m \Rightarrow a,b$ give the same remainder when they are divided by $m$.
I would rewrite this, replacing words by symbols, to get:
$a \equiv b\pmod m \Rightarrow a\pmod m = r, b\pmod m = r$

then as your teacher stated, by definition
$a \equiv b\pmod m \Rightarrow m \mid a-b$

so, by substitution, we have as an equivalent to the instructor's problem statement:
$m \mid a-b \Rightarrow a\pmod m = r, b\pmod m = r$

also by definition we have:
$a\pmod m = r \Rightarrow a=mq_1+r$
and
$b\pmod m = r \Rightarrow b=mq_2+r$

so again by substituting into the problem definition we have:
$m \mid a-b \Rightarrow a=mq_1+r$ and $b=mq_2+r$
then
$m \mid a-b \Rightarrow (a-b) = m(q_1 - q_2)$
and finally:
$m \mid a-b \Rightarrow m \mid a-b$

Really, the actual statement to be proven was so close to being a fundamental definition that the professor had to work hard to obscure that fact.

Last edited:
I would personally put the "mod m" part into parentheses only when explicitly working with a congruence relation, and just writing "a mod m" when using it to denote a remainder operation. I find it's more consistent and less confusing to people, but it's no big deal.

And, yes, the argument here is near tautological. $a \equiv b \pmod{m}$ is pretty much the definition of "$a$ and $b$ leave the same remainder when divided by $m$", though I suppose it depends on what fundamental definition of modular arithmetic you're working your way up from.

Related to Why do we conclude that r1-r2=0?

1. Why is it important to conclude that r1-r2=0?

It is important to conclude that r1-r2=0 because it indicates that there is no significant difference between the two variables being compared. This allows us to make accurate conclusions and predictions based on the data.

2. How do we determine that r1-r2=0?

We determine that r1-r2=0 through statistical analysis, specifically through the calculation of the correlation coefficient. If the correlation coefficient is close to 0, it indicates that there is no significant relationship between the two variables.

3. What does it mean if r1-r2=0?

If r1-r2=0, it means that there is no correlation between the two variables being compared. This could mean that there is no relationship at all, or that the relationship is too weak to be considered significant.

4. Can r1-r2 ever be different from 0?

Yes, r1-r2 can be different from 0. This indicates that there is a significant difference between the two variables being compared, and there is some type of relationship between them.

5. Why do we use r1-r2=0 instead of just looking at the individual correlation coefficients?

We use r1-r2=0 because it allows us to directly compare the two variables and determine if there is a significant difference between them. Looking at the individual correlation coefficients may not provide as clear of a picture, as they could be influenced by other factors and not accurately reflect the relationship between the two variables.