Why do we laugh at others' misfortunes?

• Thread starter Tosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of humor, exploring why people find certain things funny and why we may feel bad when others laugh at us. The conversation also mentions a Wikipedia article on humor and suggests looking into Freud's theories for more in-depth understanding. The participants also touch on the idea of empathy and how it plays a role in the enjoyment of humor.
Tosh
Some people find some things funny, others don't. We laugh when a similar situation recurs? We laugh when people fall over and hurt themselves? We smile on the point of laughter when Langbein posts a new thread? We laugh when people are frank? We laugh when someone intentionally misinterprets our words... I find some of this funny, sometimes I think twice and stop laughing, but:

Why are things funny?
Why do we feel bad when people laugh at us?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like "Why life should have a meaning ?"

Wikipedia has a good article on humour. If you want detailed theories I'd recommend Freud.

Smurf said:
Wikipedia has a good article on humour. If you want detailed theories I'd recommend Freud.

Oh, as simple as that is it. It's already been done...extensively! I thought it was interesting, and now I just been told straight. Thanks

Langbein said:
Like "Why life should have a meaning ?"

Yes, Langbein, so similar. Sorry, I don't liken those two, I tried to, but I just can't.

I pondered this just a couple of weeks ago, and in my meditative state the following came to me-- each of us has an expectational boundry. when things fall beyond it we find them pleasing, when thing fall within it, painful. when we place our boundry next to anothers, their pain zone overlaps our pleasure zone... when we place their boundries on top of ours, their pain becomes our pain, and their pleasure our pleasure... empathy in a word. so when someone has a suprizingly sudden painful event, it is outside our boundry and there is a sudden pleasure sensation and when it is powerful enough its like a sneeze causing us to laugh.

1. Why do people find different things funny?

People find different things funny because humor is subjective and influenced by personal experiences, cultural background, and individual perspectives. What one person finds funny may not be funny to another person.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why we laugh?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for why we laugh. Laughter is a natural response to stimuli that triggers our brain's reward system, releasing feel-good chemicals like endorphins. It also helps us relieve stress and tension.

3. Can humor be learned or is it innate?

Both nature and nurture play a role in our sense of humor. While some people may be born with a predisposition for humor, it can also be developed and refined through exposure to different types of humor and social interactions.

4. Why do we find certain things funny even if they are inappropriate or offensive?

Humor can be a coping mechanism, and sometimes we laugh at things that may be considered inappropriate or offensive because it helps us deal with uncomfortable situations. Additionally, humor is often used as a way to challenge societal norms and push boundaries.

5. How does humor impact our physical and mental health?

Research has shown that humor can have numerous positive effects on our physical and mental health. It can reduce stress, boost our immune system, and improve our overall well-being. Additionally, laughter can strengthen social bonds and improve relationships with others.