Why does a free particle in an infinite well have uncertainty bigger than h/2 ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty in using a particular approach to find the wave function that gives us the value of h_bar/2. The speaker suggests using a normal curve as a potential option, but also mentions the possibility of a different wave function. They then suggest trying the ground state for the harmonic oscillator of mass m and frequency w, which is a Gaussian function.
drop_out_kid
Homework Statement
verify the uncertainty principle by wave function of infinite well free particle(ground state)
Relevant Equations
\sai(x)=\sqrt {2/L} sin(Pi*x/L)dx
So I think I use the right approach and I get uncertainty like this:
1650392221348.png

And it's interval irrelevant(ofc),

So what kind of wave function gives us \h_bar / 2 ? I guess a normal curve? if so, why is normal curve could be? if not then what's kind of wave function can reach the lower bound

Physics news on Phys.org
Supplyment:
For <x^2>

1650392441964.png

for <x> it's simply L/2

for <p> it's simply 0

for <p^2> it's
1650392576119.png
by sin^2 integration.

drop_out_kid said:
So what kind of wave function gives us \h_bar / 2 ? I guess a normal curve? if so, why is normal curve could be? if not then what's kind of wave function can reach the lower bound
Try the ground state for the harmonic oscillator of mass ##m## and frequency ##\omega##.

kuruman said:
Try the ground state for the harmonic oscillator of mass ##m## and frequency ##\omega##.
Sorry I didn't get what that even is. We didn't learned that, I assume that's a ground state sinusoidal wave function?

drop_out_kid said:
Sorry I didn't get what that even is. We didn't learned that, I assume that's a ground state sinusoidal wave function?
You asked and I replied. It is a Gaussian, $$\psi_0(x)=\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{1/4}e^{-\frac{m \omega}{2\hbar}x^2}.$$Try it.

1. Why does a free particle in an infinite well have uncertainty bigger than h/2?

The uncertainty principle, as described by Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In the case of a free particle in an infinite well, the particle has a specific energy level and is confined to a specific region, leading to a larger uncertainty in its position. This uncertainty in position results in a larger uncertainty in momentum, leading to an uncertainty in momentum that is bigger than h/2.

2. How does the size of the well affect the uncertainty of a free particle?

The size of the well directly affects the uncertainty of a free particle. A smaller well leads to a smaller region in which the particle can exist, resulting in a smaller uncertainty in position and a larger uncertainty in momentum. On the other hand, a larger well leads to a larger region, resulting in a larger uncertainty in position and a smaller uncertainty in momentum. This relationship is described by the uncertainty principle.

3. Can the uncertainty of a free particle in an infinite well be reduced?

No, the uncertainty of a free particle in an infinite well cannot be reduced. This is due to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which state that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Any attempt to reduce the uncertainty in one quantity will result in an increase in the uncertainty of the other quantity.

4. How does the uncertainty of a free particle in an infinite well compare to that of a bound particle?

The uncertainty of a free particle in an infinite well is larger than that of a bound particle. This is because a bound particle is confined to a smaller region, leading to a smaller uncertainty in position and a larger uncertainty in momentum. On the other hand, a free particle in an infinite well has a larger region in which it can exist, leading to a larger uncertainty in position and a smaller uncertainty in momentum.

5. Does the uncertainty of a free particle in an infinite well have any practical applications?

Yes, the uncertainty principle and the resulting uncertainty of a free particle in an infinite well have practical applications in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has implications for technological advancements in the future.