Why Does an Ammeter Have Higher Internal Resistance at Lower Current Ranges?

In summary, when using an ammeter on the 30 mA range, the internal resistance is significantly larger compared to the 150 mA range. This may seem counterintuitive since a larger internal resistance would affect the reading more for small currents. However, the larger internal resistance on the 150 mA scale has a smaller effect on the measured value due to the larger current. It is possible that the larger internal resistance on the 30 mA scale acts as a protection mechanism to prevent the ammeter from being damaged by high currents. This is because the ammeter measures the voltage across a small-value resistor, and a larger resistance is needed for smaller currents to generate enough voltage to drive the needle.
StonieJ
We recently discovered that the internal resistance of an ammeter when using the 30 mA range is significantly larger than the internal resistance when using its 150 mA range. Despite the fact that I know this is correct, it seems counterintuitive. I would think that since an ammeter on the 30 mA range is used to measure small currents, that a larger internal resistance would effect the given reading too much. On the other hand, a large internal resistance on the 150 mA scale will not affect the measured value as much because the current value is large to begin with. (This probably doesn't make sense, but I can't word it any other way at the moment.) The only thing I can think of is that the larger internal resistance for the 30 mA scale is a sort of protection mechanism that will keep the ammeter from being destroyed if too high a current is accidentally run through it, giving the user time to turn off the current.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a voltage input, the larger internal resistance produces the smaller current, but virtue of I = V / R.

So, for a smaller range of I, one needs a larger R for a given V.

The larger resistance does indeed affect the low-current circuit more than the high-current circuit. This is bad, of course, but not easily preventable.

The reason it's so is usually because the ammeter is actually just measuring the voltage across a small-value resistor, and using that voltage to drive the needle (or digital display, or whatever). It needs a "large" resistance when dealing with smaller currents, so the voltage across that resistor will be large enough to drive the needle. On the other hand, when dealing with large currents, it only needs a small resistance to generate the necessary voltages to drive the needle.

- Warren

Related to Why Does an Ammeter Have Higher Internal Resistance at Lower Current Ranges?

1. What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the electric current flowing through a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit in order to measure the current passing through it.

2. How does an ammeter work?

An ammeter works by measuring the amount of current flowing through a circuit. It does this by using a shunt resistor, which creates a known resistance in the circuit. The ammeter then measures the voltage drop across the shunt resistor, and uses Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the current.

3. What is the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter?

An ammeter measures the current flowing through a circuit, while a voltmeter measures the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. Ammeters are typically connected in series with the circuit, while voltmeters are connected in parallel.

4. How is an ammeter connected in a circuit?

An ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, meaning that it is placed in the path of the current and all of the current must pass through it. This allows the ammeter to accurately measure the current flowing through the circuit.

5. What are the units of measurement for an ammeter?

An ammeter measures current, which is typically measured in amperes (A). However, depending on the size of the current, other units such as milliamperes (mA) or microamperes (μA) may be used.