Why does an inductor discharge?

In summary, when a capacitor and inductor are connected, the inductor will discharge because of the potential difference between the two components. This is due to the fact that the inductor has no energy stored and no magnetic field when there is no current flowing through it. The energy is then circulated between the inductor and capacitor, causing the voltage to increase and decrease until it reaches equilibrium. This process can be described by the equations L$\dot{i}$+Q/C=0 and Q(t)=Q$_0$cos($\omega$t), with Q$_0$ representing the initial charge on the capacitor before it is connected to the inductor.
versine
A capacitor will discharge because once a path is created there is a potential difference $V=Q/C$. But for an inductor it's $L\frac{di}{dt}$. Why would an inductor want to discharge once you connect it to a capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was no current flowing through the inductor, then there is no energy stored, and no magnetic field.
E = ½·L·i² ;

If a current is flowing through the inductor when it is connected to a zero volt capacitor, the current will begin to charge the capacitor.
Q = I·t ; v = Q / C ; E = ½·C·v² ;

As the capacitor voltage increases, the inductor voltage will also increase, that will reduce the inductor current, until it stops, reverses, and repeats, circulating the energy between L and C.
v = L·di/dt ;

Likes tech99 and versine
Just write down the equation from Kirchhoff's rule:
$$L \dot{i}+Q/C=0$$
Since ##i=\dot{Q}## this means
$$L \ddot{Q}+Q/C=0$$
The general solution of this "harmonic-oscillator equation of motion" is
$$Q(t)=A \cos(\omega t) + B \sin(\omega t) \quad \text{with} \quad \omega=\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}$$
and
$$i(t)=-A\omega \sin(\omega t) + B \omega \cos(\omega t).$$
For ##Q(0)=Q_0## and ##i(0)=0##, i.e., having some charge on the capacitor and then at ##t=0## connect it to the coil, then you get ##A=Q_0## and ##B=0##. So the final solution reads
$$Q(t)=Q_0 \cos(\omega t), \quad i(t)=-Q_0 \omega \sin(\omega t).$$

1. Why does an inductor discharge?

Inductors discharge due to the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field. When the current is interrupted or stopped, the magnetic field collapses and induces a voltage in the opposite direction, causing the inductor to discharge.

2. How long does it take for an inductor to discharge?

The time it takes for an inductor to discharge depends on its inductance and the resistance in the circuit. A higher inductance or lower resistance will result in a longer discharge time, while a lower inductance or higher resistance will result in a shorter discharge time.

3. What happens to the energy stored in an inductor when it discharges?

When an inductor discharges, the energy stored in its magnetic field is released. This energy can be used to power a circuit or can be dissipated as heat in a resistor. The amount of energy released depends on the inductance and current in the circuit.

4. Can an inductor discharge without a power source?

No, an inductor cannot discharge without a power source. In order for an inductor to discharge, there must be a change in current, which can only occur if there is a power source or if the circuit is connected to another circuit with a different current flow.

5. What are some practical applications of inductor discharge?

Inductor discharge is commonly used in electronic circuits to create a delay or to filter out unwanted signals. It is also used in devices such as transformers and motors to convert energy from one form to another. Additionally, inductor discharge is used in flash photography to create a brief burst of light.