Why Does ANSYS Extrapolate Stress Values Beyond Input Limits?

In summary, Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS is a type of simulation that considers the non-linear behavior of materials and structures. It is necessary when studying materials or structures with non-linear characteristics and can accurately simulate real-world scenarios. There are three main types of Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS: Structural, Dynamic, and Buckling. To perform Non-Linear Analysis, the user must define material properties and boundary conditions, select appropriate settings, and solve equations iteratively. The advantages of using Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS include more accurate simulations, identification of potential failures, and time and resource savings.
Earth_2304
I am running a non-linear analysis using ANSYS using multilinear isotropic hardening. The problem is that the value of maximum prinicipal stress I get on my model is greater than the max value in the table which I input. So I think ANSYS is extrapolating the values of stress on its own beyond what is permissible. Has anyone faced this issue? Any idea how do I resolve this?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Earth_2304: I currently think that is OK. I think it means your part is overstressed.

Related to Why Does ANSYS Extrapolate Stress Values Beyond Input Limits?

1. What is Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS?

Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS is a type of simulation that takes into account the non-linear behavior of materials and structures. It allows for more accurate and realistic predictions of how a system will behave under varying conditions.

2. When is Non-Linear Analysis necessary in ANSYS?

Non-Linear Analysis is necessary when the material or structure being studied exhibits non-linear behavior, such as plastic deformation, large displacements, or material non-linearity. It is also useful for accurately simulating real-world scenarios, such as impact or fatigue loading.

3. What are the different types of Non-Linear Analysis available in ANSYS?

There are three main types of Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS: Nonlinear Structural Analysis, Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis, and Nonlinear Buckling Analysis. Nonlinear Structural Analysis deals with large deformations and material non-linearity, Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis includes time-dependent loading and response, and Nonlinear Buckling Analysis predicts the behavior of a structure under compressive loads.

4. How is Non-Linear Analysis performed in ANSYS?

To perform Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS, the user must first define the material properties, boundary conditions, and loading conditions of the system. Then, the appropriate non-linear analysis settings must be selected, and the software will solve the equations iteratively until a converged solution is reached.

5. What are the advantages of using Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS?

Non-Linear Analysis in ANSYS allows for more accurate and realistic simulations of complex systems. It can also help identify potential failure points and optimize designs for better performance. Additionally, it can save time and resources by reducing the need for physical testing and prototyping.