Why Does Differential Pressure Vary As The Square Of The Flow?

chevywaldo
TL;DR Summary
Can someone explain to me Bernoulli's principle as to why the pressure across a restriction varies as the square of the velocity? I'm looking for an understanding (conceptual) as to why this is without a gazillion math examples please. Thanks.
Can someone explain to me Bernoulli's principle as to why the pressure across a restriction varies as the square of the velocity?

I'm looking for an understanding (conceptual) as to why this is without a gazillion math examples please. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
chevywaldo said:
Can someone explain to me Bernoulli's principle as to why the pressure across a restriction varies as the square of the velocity? I'm looking for an understanding (conceptual) as to why this is without a gazillion math examples please. Thanks.
Bernoulli's principle is simply conservation of energy, of a small mass of fluid.

Kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared.
Potential energy is proportional to pressure difference.

In physics, follow the energy, as it changes form.

Likes berkeman, DaveE, Dullard and 2 others
That doesn't answer the question.

Yes I can explain it using math myself, but that's not the point.

Sometimes in physics it's necessary (and often more useful) to understand "why" something happens instead of using only math to show explain. If you only use math to understand physics then you really don't have a full understanding of the principles of why something is or isn't.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman and weirdoguy
And sometimes there isn't. What sort of answer are you looking for?

Likes DaveE and Vanadium 50
chevywaldo said:
That doesn't answer the question.

Yes I can explain it using math myself, but that's not the point.

Sometimes in physics it's necessary (and often more useful) to understand "why" something happens instead of using only math to show explain. If you only use math to understand physics then you really don't have a full understanding of the principles of why something is or isn't.
He... didn't use math. I am very confused by your response.

Likes berkeman
chevywaldo said:
it's necessary (and often more useful) to understand "why" something happens

Likes boneh3ad
boneh3ad said:
He... didn't use math. I am very confused by your response.
Having seen earlier posts by chevywaldo, I knew that he liked to argue, and needed to be seen to be proved right. So I was very careful to answer this question, using only the mathematical words that he had used in his OP.

It has been a week since he cast his baited hook into PF, and I carefully pinched his bait. He had warned us that he had a gazillion mathematical barbs on his hook. I believe he has now gone off in frustration, to some other fishing hole under a bridge, where he can play at being a more successful troll.

Likes berkeman, weirdoguy and russ_watters
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

A very insulting post by the OP has been deleted, and OP is on a 10-day vacation from PF. This thread will remain closed. Thanks everybody for trying to help the OP with their question.

Likes Lnewqban