Why does i-epsilon prescription not cure spin 1 propagator

In summary, the Fadeev-Popov method is necessary for spin-1 fields due to the non-invertibility of the matrix of coefficients in the free-Lagrangian. Despite the i\epsilon prescription addressing this issue for Klein-Gordan fields, it does not extend to spin-1 fields. The Fadeev-Popov method is introduced for gauge fields in order to manage the infinite contribution from the gauge invariance, allowing for cancellation with the normalization of the functional integral.
geoduck
Within the path integral framework, the reason you have to use Fadeev-Popov quantization for spin 1 is because the matrix of the coefficients of the quadratic part of the free-Lagrangian is non-invertible. But doesn't an [itex]i\epsilon [/itex] prescription take care of that? The same thing happens with the Klein-Gordan field: the matrix of coefficients of the quadratic part is not invertible because it has a zero eigenvalue: k^2-m^2=0 when the particle has a k such that it is on shell. Adding [itex]i\epsilon [/itex] ensures k^2-m^2+[itex]i\epsilon [/itex] can never be zero, so the matrix is invertible. Doesn't the [itex]i\epsilon [/itex] prescription also prevent [itex]g^{\mu \nu}k^2-k^\mu k^\nu +i\epsilon=0[/itex] for spin 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fadeev-Popov method is introduced for another reason. It is not used for general spin-1 field but for gauge fields (not all spin-1 fields are gauge fields). The main idea is that, since you have gauge invariance, the action insider the functional integral is constant over an infinite set of configurations for the gauge fields. On this set the action cannot provide the usual convergence and hence the functional integral is infinite.
Using the Fadeev-Popov method you fix the gauge and manage to factorize the contribution from this infinite set, that then cancels with the normalization of the functional integral.

Likes Demystifier

Why does i-epsilon prescription not cure spin 1 propagator?

The i-epsilon prescription is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to deal with divergences in calculations. It involves adding a small imaginary term to the energy of particles in order to make the calculations well-defined. However, this prescription does not work for spin 1 propagators for the following reasons.

1. What is a spin 1 propagator?

A spin 1 propagator is a mathematical term used to describe the behavior of a particle with spin 1, such as a photon or a gauge boson. It is a mathematical function that represents the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another in space-time.

2. What is the i-epsilon prescription?

The i-epsilon prescription is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to deal with divergences in calculations. It involves adding a small imaginary term, denoted by the symbol "iε", to the energy of particles in order to make the calculations well-defined.

3. Why does the i-epsilon prescription fail for spin 1 propagators?

The i-epsilon prescription fails for spin 1 propagators because it does not take into account the polarization states of the particles. Spin 1 particles have three polarization states, while the i-epsilon prescription only considers two polarization states. This leads to incorrect calculations and the prescription does not cure the divergences.

4. Are there alternative methods to deal with divergences in spin 1 propagator calculations?

Yes, there are alternative methods to deal with divergences in spin 1 propagator calculations. One approach is to use a more sophisticated version of the i-epsilon prescription, known as the Pinch Technique. Another approach is to use a different regularization method, such as dimensional regularization.

5. How do scientists currently handle divergences in spin 1 propagator calculations?

Currently, scientists use a combination of different techniques to handle divergences in spin 1 propagator calculations. This may include using the Pinch Technique, dimensional regularization, or other methods. It is an active area of research and there is no one definitive method that is universally accepted.