Why does magnesium carbonate have no flame color?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of color change in the flame when performing a flame test on magnesium carbonate in a lab. It is clarified that the flame test and the burning of metallic magnesium are two separate things, with the former depending on the electronic structure of the substance. It is suggested that the white light emitted by burning magnesium is due to thermal emission from the solid magnesium oxide formed. The conversation also touches on the absence of prominent absorption lines for magnesium in flame spectra and compares it to the intense light emitted by calcium oxide.
Emily2277
I've read that magnesium traditionally has a bright white flame. When I performed a flame test on magnesium carbonate in lab, there was no color change to the flame. Why is this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know why that is, but I do have to ask, why do you think there should be?

You are mistaking flame of a burning magnesium with flame test, these are two separate things.

In addition to what Borek mentioned, Mg ≠ Mg2+ (which is the form of magnesium in magnesium carbonate)

The color in a flame test depends on the electronic structure of the substance in question. Mg metal and Mg2+ ions have different electron configurations, so they will behave very differently in a flame test.

Metallic Magnesium is used fireworks to produce a bright white light,
That's what happens when Magnesium combines with Oxygen.
It's not possible though to burn the resulting ash in more Oxygen and get more light.

Likes symbolipoint
Interesting question. In the spectrum of the sun, there are prominent absorption lines in the green due to Magnesium. I don't know why we don't observe them in flame spectra.
I would guess the white light emitted by burning magnesium is due to the thermal emission from the solid magnesium oxide formed.
Compare this to the intense emitted by calcium oxide (limelight!).

1. Why does magnesium carbonate have no flame color?

Magnesium carbonate does not have a flame color because it is a non-metallic compound. Non-metallic compounds do not emit light when heated, unlike metallic elements which produce a characteristic color when heated in a flame.

2. Does magnesium carbonate have any other properties that affect its flame color?

No, magnesium carbonate does not have any other properties that would affect its flame color. Its lack of flame color is solely due to its non-metallic nature.

3. Are there any exceptions where non-metallic compounds can produce flame colors?

Yes, some non-metallic compounds may produce a flame color if they contain certain metallic impurities. However, pure magnesium carbonate does not contain any metallic impurities and therefore does not exhibit a flame color.

4. Why is it important to know the flame color of a compound?

The flame color of a compound can provide information about its chemical composition. For example, metallic elements produce different flame colors based on their atomic structure, which can help identify them in a mixture. It can also be used in qualitative analysis to identify unknown substances.

5. Can magnesium carbonate be used in flame tests to identify other compounds?

No, magnesium carbonate cannot be used in flame tests to identify other compounds because it does not produce a flame color. It is only useful in identifying the presence of metallic impurities in other non-metallic compounds.