Why does my social life suck so much?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by striking up a conversation. Do you mean talking to classmates during class? If so, then that's a good way to make friends.In summary, a junior at their new school is having a hard time making friends and is struggling with confidence. They are also worried about their lack of social life and fear that they will have a hard time getting a good job if they do not improve their skills.
Poop-loops, dude, I'm amazed you haven't been kicked off the forums for provoking people like you seem to enjoy doing. Seriously, your being juvenile (I'm 15...).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
People who are social go out and talk with people that are into things, like culture. Fashion is a part of that local culture and is unique to the group in terms of style. Fashion has been around for hundres of years, to deny its importance is ignorant.

Who wants to be around someone dressed like a bum?

My preferred fashion back in my younger (and very wild) days at university. :biggrin: I did not like dressing up or dressing pretty, and I still don't.
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7682/astronuc1979uh6.jpg​
[/URL]

I would dress nicely when I went out on a date, but I didn't care for name brands or the preppy look or designer labels.

I never had trouble dating women. I had lots of female friends.
I just had trouble finding one woman with whom I could settle down.

But I did find one, and that's what I looked like about the time when I first met my wife. The picture was taken by my wife's best friend at the time, and the girlfriend of the guy sitting to the right in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Astro, if that's your real head in your profile pic, I would say that you are the (former?) hippy type. Especially, the pic in the response confirms that to me. So no, I wouldn't have expected you to dress up much.

Astronuc said:
My preferred fashion back in my younger (and very wild) days at university. :biggrin: I did not like dressing up or dressing pretty, and I still don't.
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7682/astronuc1979uh6.jpg​
[/URL]

I would dress nicely when I went out on a date, but I didn't care for name brands or the preppy look or designer labels.

I never had trouble dating women. I had lots of female friends.
I just had trouble finding one woman with whom I could settle down.

But I did find one, and that's what I looked like about the time when I first met my wife. The picture was taken by my wife's best friend at the time, and the girlfriend of the guy sitting to the right in the picture.

But you had style for your time. And that's what I am getting at. I never said my style is the only style. It just looks good on me; but, I said he should find a style that works for him. Your style works for you, and its perfect. In that picture, you look good in what your wearing because it suits you.

Last edited by a moderator:
binzing said:
Poop-loops, dude, I'm amazed you haven't been kicked off the forums for provoking people like you seem to enjoy doing. Seriously, your being juvenile (I'm 15...).

It's how I point out the logical fallacies in people's arguments.

People still haven't realized that the only reason they got promotions is because they dressed nicely. And the ones who did (like Moonbear) aren't furious about it. That's just insane.

Every time we had a "dress for success" day at school, it was a load of superficial crap.

I remember one kid who would dress up in a suit to give a presentation for a class (like as a project or something). He sucked. The time he spent on his clothing could have been spent practicing in front of a mirror.

No amount of clothing will substitute for skill. So when you get a raise or promotion simply for changing what you wear, what does that say about your employer, and you?

Staying on the topic but turning the question upside down. Do woman like men that are anti social (i.e. men with no social life)? If so what type of women? How often are they around?

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
Staying on the topic but turning the question upside down. Do woman like men that are anti social (i.e. men with no social life)? If so what type of women? How often are they around?

All it takes is one.

But, that's sort of the direction of my past few posts (including the five dresses one). Women generally have a totally different set of ways of trying to attract the attention of a 'guy'. If a guy doesn't see or notice that the girl slowly closed her eyes and moved her hair in a certain way and for him only, that may be enough for her to think that he's not 'interested'.

Dressing up a little more than the next 'guy' may help a little to attract attention, but its still up to the specific woman as to whether she'll look his way.

Women do usually like the men to approach first as it gives them the chance of either accepting the guy or not--men are more used to the idea of 'rejection' , where I've seen a woman run off crying.

And it seems, as people get older/more mature, the variations of how people attract other people appears to me to even get more varied and specific in what ever niche of society they're in.

rewebster said:
Women do usually like the men to approach first as it gives them the chance of either accepting the guy or not--men are more used to the idea of 'rejection', where I've seen a woman run off crying.
Men tend to internalize their dissappointment, which leads to stress, which can detrimentally affect their health. No one likes rejection - men or women - and that's just human nature.

I've seem men cry or rage/rail or mope (and in some cases get very drunk), as much as I've seen women cry or get upset.

pivoxa15 said:
I do. I don't know how common that is.

Poop-Loops said:
It's how I point out the logical fallacies in people's arguments.

People still haven't realized that the only reason they got promotions is because they dressed nicely. And the ones who did (like Moonbear) aren't furious about it. That's just insane.

Every time we had a "dress for success" day at school, it was a load of superficial crap.

I remember one kid who would dress up in a suit to give a presentation for a class (like as a project or something). He sucked. The time he spent on his clothing could have been spent practicing in front of a mirror.

No amount of clothing will substitute for skill. So when you get a raise or promotion simply for changing what you wear, what does that say about your employer, and you?
I agree with you that clothing is superficial and has no effect on the ability of a person. That's why I discount it. But I understand that people also use it as an expression of personality. Someone who dresses nicely for work is sending the message that they care about what their employer thinks of them and their work. Someone who dresses poorly sends the message that they don't care what their boss thinks of them or their work. While neither affects the actual quality of the work, when it comes time for the promotion, all other variables being equal, the employer is likely going to prefer the person who cares about the position more and strives to perform professionally. I don't like it much, but that is the way it is.

I don't think any employer is completely fooled by a sharp suit. The work that a person does is considered in any promotion. Moonbear didn't get any promotion just for looking good. She actually knows her stuff. Looking good is just a bonus. Why should she be furious about receiving a promotion, even if her wardrobe was a small part of her employer's decision? We all know that the image we present will affect how people view us, whether that image is true or not. So if the other people being considered for any promotion choose to limit themselves by not making a good physical presentation then it is their own actions that inhibit them. It has nothing to do with the person who receives the promotion.

Hey, I'm a bit jaded with society too, but I can't ignore it and expect to survive.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I knew there was a reason I liked you so much:smile:

Evo said:

Anti-social is, I think, not the same thing as 'no social life'---and then there's men (and women) who just avoid the 'social life' and entrapments (the things that one has to do and that idea of 'upper class' if you're talking about the 'upper society life').

Being on PF is social.:smile:

Last edited:
rewebster said:
Anti-social is, I think, not the same thing as 'no social life'---and then there's men (and women) who just avoid the 'social life' and entrapments (the things that one has to do and that idea of 'class' if you're talking about the 'upper society life').

Being on PF is social.:smile:
No social life is what I'm fine with, as in reads a lot, has hobbies or interests that don't require going out in social settings. I've had enough partying and socializing for two lifetimes, I'm ready for quieter times. But I've always been attracted to men that were quieter rather than outgoing.

Evo said:
No social life is what I'm fine with, as in reads a lot, has hobbies or interests that don't require going out in social settings. I've had enough partying and socializing for two lifetimes, I'm ready for quieter times. But I've always been attracted to men that were quieter rather than outgoing.

I wouldn't suggest cyrus then:wink:---but there's got to be many, many here on the PF that fits that bill, isn't there?

Hey, just because I opened the sun roof that one time...

Cyrus said:
Hey, just because I opened the sun roof that one time...

whooppss---I didn't think you were listening in!

I'm glad to see this thread still has legs, even if it seems to have walked off into a corner :smile:

This is like those threads back in the 90's - LET'S GET TO 10000 POSTS! YAY!
bump. :ugh:

pivoxa15 said:
Along the lines of what rewebster mentioned, having "no social life" is more asocial than anti-social.

Anti-social means "averse to the society of others : unsociable".

Asocial, which unfortunately is used interchangably with anti-social, pertains more of chosing not to engage in the society of others.

Like Evo, I prefer quiet evenings. I get home from work, cook dinner, and do PF, work on projects, read, do housework, etc. I socialize somewhat at work, at conferences, and go out with friends periodically, and certainly socialize through PF.

Math Is Hard said:
You're just asking her to join a study group. It's not a marriage proposal! Ask her and a couple of others to join you. C'mon, loosen up! Make it fun!

too bad i never get the chance to talk to her! she always comes to class late! i admit last class, i missed an opportunity to talk to her as she sat near (but not directly next) to me.
but today, some guy had to take the middle seat, so she sat the far end and i at the other, so hard to get a chance to talk to her!:mad:as for the volunteer groups I've tried joining, I've felt really awkward/uncomfortable as everyone seems to know everyone already and are much more outgoing/have a life than me. i guess i just have to be patient?

it seems that I've met the people i have the best chance of getting along with - the ones who don't know many people or have similar interests/personality as me, are always in clubs that are DEAD, so people stop showing up

Last edited:
Its not that hard. You walk in and say: "Hi, everybody!" and the say..."Hiiiiiiiii Dr. Nick!"

Dont walk in like some werido quiet as a mouse.

proton said:
too bad i never get the chance to talk to her! she always comes to class late! i admit last class, i missed an opportunity to talk to her as she sat near (but not directly next) to me.
but today, some guy had to take the middle seat, so she sat the far end and i at the other, so hard to get a chance to talk to her!:mad:
Catch her on the way out. Depending on the time, ask her out to lunch or dinner.

Astronuc said:
Catch her on the way out. Depending on the time, ask her out to lunch or dinner.

i always have class afterwards. besides, too early for lunch - its in the morning

proton said:
i always have class afterwards. besides, too early for lunch - its in the morning

Ask her if she wishes to meet you for lunch at a time that is convenient for both of you?

I would not ask her to lunch until you have a few conversations with her first. Otherwise, that's rather blunt, needy, and awkward.

Last edited:
proton said:

coffee

--its usually a 'not too' non-personal first step

I know I'm a late comer to the thread, but here's my take:

As others have pointed out, nice clothes and a neat haircut will help you, but there's a bit more. You've been told to look confident but I'm going to put another way: try not look shy. It's a dog eats dog world out there, and if you act shy, you give the impression that you have low self-esteem and those around you will not hesitate to use this to their advantage and eat out of your own plate (you may not be feeling the effect of it now, but wait until you get older and enter the workplace). Simply put, the secret to a good social life is to be able to take initiatives without caring too much about the consequences. Don't be too self-conscious, and take an initiative one of these days. The first is the hardest, but it really is like the first visit to the dentist; it goes (usually) way better than you had anticipated. If you get a bad experience, shrug it off and restart somewhere else. No one is going to put you in jail for it - and anyway, what do you have to lose?

proton said:
Ask if she's not busy tomorrow night, or tomorrow morning, ask her if she has no plans for the evening, then the two of you could go out to dinner and/or movie, or do it on Saturday. Bottom line is, just ask her out.

Astronuc said:
Ask if she's not busy tomorrow night, or tomorrow morning, ask her if she has no plans for the evening, then the two of you could go out to dinner and/or movie, or do it on Saturday. Bottom line is, just ask her out.

Again, this is really blunt to say to someone you don't know. Its more likely to fail than to work. If he talks to her a few times casually, asks her to lunch, and then to a movie its not so bad.

I see this happening: "Hi, want to see a movie friday!?" "Whats that, you dont!?" "Bye?!"

If you talk to her before you get lunch with her a few times then its casual. Its no big deal.

If I walked up to you on the street and said "Hi, I saw you walking. Want to get lunch?" You would more likely than not tell me "Im busy, I am going to work, Get lost, F off buddy!" or the like. No one likes strange people doing these kinds of things, why would she? She hasnt even shown any signs of interest in him at this point.

Last edited:
Cyrus is right. He can't just ask her out without having talked to her before, it screams for a "Get lost".

Cyrus said:
If you talk to her before you get lunch with her a few times then its casual. Its no big deal.

Yep, good point. Striking a conversation a little before lunch is a great way to make it look natural.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Again, this is really blunt to say to someone you don't know. Its more likely to fail than to work. If he talks to her a few times casually, asks her to lunch, and then to a movie its not so bad.

I see this happening: "Hi, want to see a movie friday!?" "Whats that, you dont!?" "Bye?!"

If I walked up to you on the street and said "Hi, I saw you walking. Want to get lunch?" You would more likely than not tell me "Im busy, I am going to work, Get lost, F off buddy!" or the like. No one likes strange people doing these kinds of things, why would she? She hasnt even shown any signs of interest in him at this point.
Well, it's worked for me. :biggrin: Actually, in college, I had girls call me up out of the blue and ask me out.

Besides, proton and she are in the same class, so they're not total strangers, and he not some stranger approaching on the street.

At least strangers in the street go away if you say no. She'll have to see him every day in class and think to herself, "I hope that guy doesn't bother me again".

Theres just no reason to be that blunt, obvious and desperate.

Asking direction questions are not good, because you get direct answers: i.e "No"

Last edited:
proton said:

How many times have you talked to her? How much do you know about her and vice versa?

Cyrus said:

The danger with this approach is you get into the "we're just friends" territory. Although to be fair, from the sounds of things, this guy could do with being "just friends", especially with a girl, it might give him some insight into how a girl likes/expects to be treated.

billiards said:
The danger with this approach is you get into the "we're just friends" territory. Although to be fair, from the sounds of things, this guy could do with being "just friends", especially with a girl, it might give him some insight into how a girl likes/expects to be treated.

thats probably my biggest fear with girls...if i try to get to know them better, they'll eventually find out that I've had NO experience with girls...so pathetic:frown:

All the more reason to do something about it. If she says no then you haven't lost anything. If she says yes then you will gain some experience. If you never ask then you will only continue to feel pathetic. This has more to do with your own fears than it does with any girl.

billiards idea about having some female friends is a good idea.