Why Does Relativity Use Hyperbolic Functions for Space-Time Transformations?

• Thread starter Mzachman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the Theory of Relativity and its implications for space-time coordinates and intervals. It also introduces the concept of rapidity and its relation to velocity, as well as how hyperbolic functions arise in mathematical physics. The conversation poses a four-part problem, with hints given by the professor, and suggests using properties of hyperbolic functions to derive the desired results.
Mzachman
I wasn't sure if this should go here or the relativity section, but it is for a "physics math" course, so I figured I would have the best luck here.

Homework Statement

According to the Theory of Relativity, if an event happens at a space-time point (x,t) according to an observer, another moving relative to him at speed v (measured in untis in which the velocity of light c = 1) will ascribe it to the coordinates

x' = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2)
t' = (t-vx)/sqrt(1-v^2)

Verify that s, the space-time interval is the same for both: s^2 = (t^2 - x^2) = (t'^2 - x'^2) = s'^2. Show that if we parametrize the transformation terms of the rapidity θ,

x' = x*coshθ - t*sinhθ
t' = t*coshθ - x*coshθ

the space-time interval will be automatically invariant under this transformation thanks to an identity satisfied by hyperbolic functions. Relate tanhθ to the velocity. Suppose a third observer moves relative to the second with speed v', that is, with rapidity θ'. Relate his coordinates (x'', t'') to (x,t) going via (x', t'). Show that the rapidity parameter θ'' = θ' + θ in obvious notation. (You will need to derive a formula for tanh(A + B).) Thus it is the rapidity, not the velocity that really obeys a simple addition rule. Show that if v and v' are small (in units of c), that this reduces to the daily life rule for addition of velocities. (Use the Taylor series for tanhθ.) This is an example of how hyperbolic functions arise naturally in mathematical physics.

Homework Equations

x' = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2)
t' = (t-vx)/sqrt(1-v^2)

x' = x*coshθ - t*sinhθ
t' = t*coshθ - x*coshθ

θ'' = θ' + θ

tan(A + B) = (tanh(A) + tanh(B))/(1 + tanh(A)*tanh(B))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already done the first part, showing where s^2 = s'^2, but after that I am totally lost. From the first part about rapidity onwards... I have been trying to understand for over an hour now and I have absolutely no idea where to start even (internet searches haven't helped either...). Thanks very much for any help.

Also, this is a hint my professor posted about this problem specifically:
"This problem has 4 parts (though they are not explicitly marked as separate parts). In the third part (starting from the bottom of p.26 to the top 4 lines of p.27), they define θ" and v" as those that relate (x",t") directly to (x,t), while θ' and v' relate (x",t") to (x',t') and θ and v relate (x',t') to (x,t). In this part, it is useful to realize that:

cosh(θ+θ') = cosh θ cosh θ' + sinh θ sinh θ'

sinh(θ+θ') = sinh θ cosh θ' + cosh θ sinh θ'

Don't forget the fourth part where you will consider the limit of small v and v'."Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] x' = \frac{(x-vt)}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} = x \frac{1}{sqrt(1-v^2)} - t\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} = x cosh(\theta) - t sinh(\theta)[/tex]

[tex] t' = \frac{(t-vx)}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} = x \frac{1}{sqrt(1-v^2)} - t\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} = t cosh(\theta) - x sinh(\theta)[/tex]

which gives
[tex] cosh(\theta) = \frac{1}{sqrt(1-v^2)} [/tex]
[tex] sinh(\theta) = \frac{v}{sqrt(1-v^2)} [/tex]

i would try & derive theta form those equations and the porperteis of hyperbolic functions (hint sinh(x) + cosh(x) = ?)

if you want to see how to write tex, click on one of the expressions

updated post #2

Related to Why Does Relativity Use Hyperbolic Functions for Space-Time Transformations?

What is the "Relativity Math Problem Stumped"?

The "Relativity Math Problem Stumped" is a hypothetical math problem that is designed to demonstrate the principles of relativity, as described by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. It involves a train traveling at near the speed of light and the concept of time dilation.

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to move slower for an object or person traveling at high speeds than for those at rest. This is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity and has been proven through various experiments and observations.

How does the "Relativity Math Problem Stumped" work?

In the problem, a train is traveling at near the speed of light, and a person on the train attempts to measure the length of a stationary platform. According to the principles of relativity, the person on the train will perceive the length of the platform to be shorter than it actually is due to the effects of time dilation.

Why is the "Relativity Math Problem Stumped" important?

The "Relativity Math Problem Stumped" is important because it helps to illustrate the mind-bending concepts of relativity and time dilation in a tangible and relatable way. It also highlights the importance of considering the effects of time and motion on our perception of reality.

How is the "Relativity Math Problem Stumped" relevant in modern science?

The principles and concepts demonstrated in the "Relativity Math Problem Stumped" are still highly relevant in modern science, particularly in the fields of physics and astronomy. They have been instrumental in our understanding of the universe and have led to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in technology.