Why does the resultant Fy have opposite values in my calculations?

In summary, the resultant force Fy is +ve when drawn with a positive sign convention, and -ve when drawn with a negative sign convention.
tomtomtom1
TL;DR Summary
Resolving Resultant Forces
Hello all

I was hoping someone could explain why the resultant Fy has a value of +40kN but I get a value of -40kN.

Q1.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Whether Fy is positive or negative depends on your sign convention. In the free-body diagram, the component Fy is sketched directed downward, so a positive result indicates that the force component does, in fact, point downward.

A negative result would indicate that the component Fy is directed upward. From the orientation of F, we know this is not the case.

Fsub x=cos 30 X F
Fsub y=-(sin 30 X F)

SCP said:
Whether Fy is positive or negative depends on your sign convention. In the free-body diagram, the component Fy is sketched directed downward, so a positive result indicates that the force component does, in fact, point downward.

A negative result would indicate that the component Fy is directed upward. From the orientation of F, we know this is not the case.

SCP

Thank you for the reply - I have to be honest, I am still struggling.

My sign convection is such that a downward pointing arrow is negative and an upward pointing arrow is positive.

In the Free Body Diagram the Fy arrow is point downwards so it would be negative.

This doesn't make sense to me?

tomtomtom1 said:
Summary: Resolving Resultant Forces

Hello all

I was hoping someone could explain why the resultant Fy has a value of +40kN but I get a value of -40kN.

View attachment 252286
Hi there,

First, see how the arrow is pointing and it's given as 80KN which is positive, and it makes an angle 30 deg with horizontal, so horizontal will become 80 Cos 30 Deg aligning to +Fx and vertical becomes 80 Sin 30 Deg. Basically aligning to the co-ordinate making it +Ve.
Try solving more problems or refer few examples you will understand the crux

tomtomtom1 said:
SCP

Thank you for the reply - I have to be honest, I am still struggling.

My sign convection is such that a downward pointing arrow is negative and an upward pointing arrow is positive.

In the Free Body Diagram the Fy arrow is point downwards so it would be negative.

This doesn't make sense to me?
Your brief makes sense.
The figure does not show any direction for the positive direction of the x-axis, nor the y-axis, and one would normally consider your interpretation.
Perhaps the question is asking only for the magnitude of the forces Fx and Fy.
Adding the - ( minus ) sign gives a direction to the vector Fy down in compliance with your choice of positive x and y axis.

I really am baffled.

I have tried again but with a different question and still got it wrong:-

aaaaa.JPG
Why on Earth would Fy be -ve 21.21 WHY WHY WHY?

tomtomtom1 said:
I really am baffled.

I have tried again but with a different question and still got it wrong:-

View attachment 252323Why on Earth would Fy be -ve 21.21 WHY WHY WHY?
I see why you're getting confused. You're thinking in terms of an external sign convention that defines the positive y-direction as up. However, the Fy vector is drawn pointing down. The vertical component of F is up. Your sign convention defines that as positive. However, the Fy vector is sketched pointing down. So the vertical component of F is opposite in direction to the sketched force Fy. In other words, using Fy to express the vertical component of F requires a negative result.

You could also re-draw your sketch with Fy pointing in your defined positive direction (i.e. - up). In this case, your positive answer would be correct.

The particle is not in equilibrium, since all the components add in the same +ve and -ve direction , if the system to be in equilibrium one of the component has to have a negative direction that's what you get.

I think I now have it thanks you all.

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all of the individual forces acting on it combined. It is the vector sum of all the forces acting on an object.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force?

The resultant force can be calculated by finding the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force is taken into account.

3. What are the different types of resultant forces?

There are two types of resultant forces - balanced and unbalanced. A balanced resultant force is when all the individual forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero. An unbalanced resultant force is when the individual forces do not cancel out, resulting in a net force that causes the object to accelerate in a particular direction.

4. How do you resolve a resultant force into its components?

To resolve a resultant force into its components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The magnitude and direction of the resultant force can be used to determine the magnitude and direction of its components.

5. Why is it important to resolve resultant forces?

Resolving resultant forces is important because it allows us to understand the individual forces acting on an object and how they contribute to its overall motion. It also helps us to accurately calculate and predict the motion of an object, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering.