Why does this needle get an E field while this disk gets a D field?

In summary, in reviewing old lectures about polarization, it was discussed that E fields and D fields exist in cavities within a dielectric. When the cavity is turned 90 degrees, the E and D fields also change direction. The equation D = ε0E + P = εE does not seem obvious, but it is explained by the Lorentz-Lorenz formula or Clausius-Mosotti Law. The normal component of D is continuous across a boundary, while the tangential component of E is continuous. However, near the edges of the disk and cylinder, this is not always the case.
CrosisBH
1573087321045.png

So I'm reviewing old lectures to prepare for an exam soon. This is about polarization. E fields, D Fields, etc. My professor labeled this diagram like so. The figures my professor drew are cavities in a dielectric if you can't read her handwriting. However, I can't seem to figure out why the needle gets an E field, and the disk gets an D field. She stated that if we turn the disk cavity 90 degrees to align with the needle, we get an E field.

$$\textbf{D} = \epsilon_0\textbf{E} + \textbf{P} = \epsilon\textbf{E}$$

This equation doesn't make it obvious to me why it is so. The D field is in the direction of the E field, since a D field is a scaled up E field with polarization in mind. My only guess is that the size of the needle being small makes some things negligible.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
E and D are different quantities, that have some values in both cavities. If there is vacuum in cavity then: ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_0*\vec{E}##

CrosisBH said:
This equation doesn't make it obvious to me why it is so.

Have a look at "ELECTRIC FIELD WITHIN A CAVITY INSIDE A DIELECTRIC" (from physicspages.com):
ELECTRIC FIELD WITHIN A CAVITY INSIDE A DIELECTRIC ...

A great book, for some reason totally underrated in the textbook universe, is

J. Schwinger, Classical Electrodynamics

There you find a careful analysis of all standard constitutive equations using simple classical (non-relativistic though!) models.

The standard key word to look for in this and other books is the "Lorentz-Lorenz formula" or "Clausius-Mosotti Law".

The way I understand this is in terms of boundary conditions. The normal component of ##D## is continuous across a boundary while the tangential ##E## field is continuous across a boundary. Both pictures neglect fringing fields near the disk edge and the cylinder ends. At the center of the disk the normal ##D## is the same inside and outside the cavity. Near the midpoint of the cylinder, it's the tangential ##E## that's the same inside and outside the cavity.

Hm, usually the normal component of ##\vec{D}## is discontinuous with the jump being equal to the surface charge. This follows from the macroscopic Maxwell equation,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=\rho_{\text{free}}.$$

True, within dielectrics usually you have no free charges. I thought you made a general statement about the boundary conditions.

Certainly true that the step in normal ##D## is the surface charge in all cases. For ideal dielectrics, ##\rho_\text{free}=0## so in most cases this step is zero. One may always inject a surface charge onto a boundary but the statement of the problem would need to include this else the boundary value problem isn't specified completely.

Likes vanhees71

1. Why does a needle get an E field while a disk gets a D field?

This is because of the difference in their shapes and surface areas. A needle has a smaller surface area compared to a disk, so the electric field lines are more concentrated around the needle, resulting in an E field. On the other hand, a disk has a larger surface area, causing the electric field lines to spread out more evenly, resulting in a D field.

2. How does the shape of an object affect the type of electric field it produces?

The shape of an object determines its surface area, which in turn affects the concentration and distribution of electric field lines. Objects with smaller surface areas, such as needles, will produce an E field, while objects with larger surface areas, such as disks, will produce a D field.

3. Can a needle ever produce a D field or a disk produce an E field?

Yes, it is possible for a needle to produce a D field and for a disk to produce an E field. This can happen if the surface area of the needle is large enough to spread out the electric field lines, or if the surface area of the disk is small enough to concentrate the electric field lines. However, this is not the typical behavior for these objects.

4. What other factors besides shape can affect the type of electric field an object produces?

Besides shape, the material of the object and the presence of other nearby charged objects can also affect the type of electric field an object produces. Different materials have different abilities to conduct or resist the flow of electricity, which can alter the distribution of electric field lines. The presence of other charged objects can also influence the electric field lines around an object.

5. How does the type of electric field affect the behavior of charged particles around an object?

The type of electric field can determine the direction and strength of the force experienced by charged particles around an object. In an E field, charged particles will experience a force in the direction of the field lines, while in a D field, charged particles will experience a force perpendicular to the field lines. The strength of the force will also vary depending on the type of field.