Why is the curl of the electric dipole moment equal to zero in the far field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the fields E and B from the potentials in the far field, using the vector potential A_omega(x) and the electric dipole moment P_omega. The fields are calculated using the equations B_omega(x) = \nabla\times\textbf{A}_{\omega}(x) and E_omega(x) = \frac{i}{k}\nabla\times\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x). The conversation also touches on the direction of the dipole moment and the application of vector identities in spherical coordinates to evaluate the calculations. Finally, it is mentioned that the first equation for A_omega comes from the polarization current formula.
Krikri
Hello.Looking at Jackson's ch 9 on radiation, I am trying to calculate the fields E and B from the potentials in the far field but it is very confusing. Given now the approximation for he vector potential

[tex] \textbf{A}_{\omega}(x) = -ik \frac{e^{ikr}}{r} \textbf{P}_{\omega} [/tex]

with [tex]\textbf{P}_{\omega} = \int{d^{3}x^{\prime} \textbf{x}^{\prime} \rho_{\omega} (\textbf{x}^{\prime})} [/tex] the electric dipole moment. The fields are the calculated from

[tex]\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x) = \nabla\times\textbf{A}_{\omega}(x) [/tex] and [tex]\textbf{E}_{\omega}(x)= \frac{i}{k}\nabla\times\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x)[/tex]
So first I tried to computed the B fiels and I get to an expression like

[tex]\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x) = \Big[k^2 \frac{e^{ikr}}{r} + ik\frac{e^{ikr}}{r^2}\Big](\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega} ) + \Big[-ik\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} (\nabla\times\textbf{P}_{\omega})\Big][/tex]

and it seems that [tex]\nabla\times\textbf{P}_{\omega} =0 [/tex] but I am not sute why exactly. I think maybe that the dipole is calculated at the prime coordinates and so the curl is with respect to the not prime coordinates so maybe that's why. Also I am confused on how to proceed with the calculations for the E field [tex]\textbf{E}_{\omega}(x)= \frac{i}{k} \Big[\big(k^3\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} - k^2\frac{e^ikr}{r^2}\big)[\hat{n}\times(\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega})] + k^2\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} \nabla\times(\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega})\Big][/tex]

I believe the second term must vanish as i suspect from the result but don't why again. Also the dipole moment which direction has?

I tried to investigate the second term using the vector identity relevant here so

[tex] \nabla\times(\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega}) =\hat{n}(\nabla\cdot\textbf{P}_{\omega}) - \textbf{P}_{\omega}(\nabla\cdot\hat{n}) + (\textbf{P}_{\omega}\cdot\nabla)\hat{n}- (\hat{n}\cdot\nabla)\textbf{P}_{\omega} [/tex]

Is this thing zero and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
All the vector operations on ## P_{\omega} ## are zero because ## P_{\omega} ## is just a constant. The vector operations on ## \hat{n} ## I think need a little consideration, but I think ## \hat{n}=1\hat{a_r} ## in spherical coordinates. You can google the operations of curl and divergence in spherical coordinates. I think the curl vanishes, but not the divergence. The ## P_{\omega}\cdot \nabla \hat{n} ## term also needs to be carefully evaluated. I think this last term is zero because the "1" in front of ## \hat{a_r} ## is a constant. ## \\ ## Just an additional comment: I think the first equation for ## A_{\omega} ## comes from the polarization current formula ## J_p=\dot{P} ## along with ## A(x)=\int {\frac{J(x')}{c|x-x'|} } \, d^3x' ##. (My formula for ## A ## may be a steady state formula, so I may need to do some further reading on the subject). ## \ ## In the ## x' ## integral, the sinusoidal dipole is assumed to be localized near the origin.

Last edited:

1. What is radiation field calculus?

Radiation field calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of radiation fields, which are regions of space where electromagnetic radiation is present. It involves the use of mathematical techniques to analyze and model the behavior of radiation fields.

2. Why is radiation field calculus important?

Radiation field calculus is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, which is essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. It also helps us develop new technologies and applications that utilize radiation fields, such as wireless communication and medical imaging.

3. What are some key concepts in radiation field calculus?

Some key concepts in radiation field calculus include Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental principles of electromagnetic radiation, and vector calculus, which is used to analyze and manipulate vector fields. Other important concepts include radiation intensity, flux density, and polarization.

4. How is radiation field calculus used in real-world applications?

Radiation field calculus is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including radio astronomy, radar systems, wireless communication, and medical imaging. It is also used in the design and optimization of antennas and other electromagnetic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to radiation field calculus?

Like any other mathematical model, radiation field calculus has its limitations. It is based on simplified assumptions and idealized conditions, so its predictions may not always match real-world observations. Additionally, it may not be applicable to extreme or highly complex radiation fields. Therefore, it is important to use caution and properly validate the results of radiation field calculus models.