Why doesn't the amount of Cl increase?

In summary: Here is the correct summary:In summary, when an inert gas is introduced to a system at equilibrium, the total pressure will increase while the partial pressures of the reacting components remain constant. This means that there will be no effect on the equilibrium.
navneet9431
Gold Member

Homework Statement

fa1f639387c513387662f7fb67cc778e3728c620.jpg

Homework Equations

Formula of Kp and Kc

The Attempt at a Solution

You will easily be able to identify that the reaction will proceed in the forward direction when some inert gas is introduced.
So,my question is that why won't the amount of chlorine formed increase in that process(because the reaction is proceeding forward)?

I will be thankful for any help!

Attachments

• fa1f639387c513387662f7fb67cc778e3728c620.jpg
    fa1f639387c513387662f7fb67cc778e3728c620.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
To my knowledge, if you insert some inert gas the partial pressure of the components increases and so the inverse reaction in favored. Intuitively think about it: you have two separate molecules, if you try to push them together then it will be reasonable that they will react.

navneet9431 said:
You will easily be able to identify that the reaction will proceed in the forward direction when some inert gas is introduced.
The gases are at equilibrium.
Sorry, but I cannot identify that the reaction will proceed in the forward direction when an inert gas is introduced.
Perhaps you could explain your reasoning, through the use of the formula of Kp

I think the following. I don't know if it is rigorous enough for you.

Consider the gas-phase reaction ##A → B + C## $$K = \frac {P x_B P x_C} {P x_A} = P \frac {x_B x_C} {x_A}$$ if ##P## increases then ##\frac {x_B x_C} {x_A}## must decrease to keep ##K## constant (remember that ##K## is a function of the Temperature only). Introducing an inert gas obviously increase the pressure if you keep the volume constant.

So more ##A## is produced

dRic2 said:
I think the following. I don't know if it is rigorous enough for you.

Consider the gas-phase reaction ##A → B + C## $$K = \frac {P x_B P x_C} {P x_A} = P \frac {x_B x_C} {x_A}$$ if ##P## increases then ##\frac {x_B x_C} {x_A}## must decrease to keep ##K## constant (remember that ##K## is a function of the Temperature only). Introducing an inert gas obviously increase the pressure if you keep the volume constant.

So more ##A## is produced
But if you introduce an inert gas, the mole fractions of the individual gasses will also decrease.

When an inert gas is added to the system in equilibrium at constant volume V, the total pressure will increase, but the partial pressures pi of the reacting components remain constant:

pi = ni RT / V with ni the moles of gas component i

Hence, there will be no effect on the equilibrium.

Likes Chestermiller, dRic2 and epenguin
My mistake, I'm sorry.

1. Why doesn't the amount of Cl increase when more chlorine is added to a solution?

The amount of Cl does not increase when more chlorine is added to a solution because chlorine is an element and therefore its amount cannot increase. However, the concentration of chloride ions, which make up chlorine, may increase depending on the amount of chlorine added and the volume of the solution.

2. How does the amount of Cl stay constant in a closed system?

In a closed system, the amount of Cl stays constant because it is a closed system, meaning no matter can enter or leave. Therefore, the amount of Cl, as an element, cannot change. However, the amount of chlorine molecules or ions may change through chemical reactions or phase changes.

3. Why doesn't the amount of Cl increase in a reaction involving Cl?

The amount of Cl does not increase in a reaction involving Cl because of the law of conservation of mass. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, the amount of Cl, as an element, cannot increase in a chemical reaction.

4. Is it possible for the amount of Cl to decrease in a reaction?

Yes, it is possible for the amount of Cl to decrease in a reaction. This can happen if the Cl reacts with another substance and forms a different compound, or if the Cl undergoes a phase change, such as evaporating into a gas. However, the total amount of Cl, as an element, will remain constant.

5. Can the amount of Cl ever increase in a natural environment?

No, the amount of Cl cannot increase in a natural environment because it is an element and therefore cannot be created. However, the concentration of chloride ions in a solution may increase due to natural processes such as weathering or volcanic activity.