Why Gauss's law works when charge enclosed is not uniform?

In summary: However, if the surface has non-uniform charge distribution, then the electric field would not be the same in all directions.
Jae
This problem has charge that is not uniform in the inside, but it is still possible to find the electric field as a function of distance outside the slab using Gauss's law. How is this possible if the electric field is not uniform in the slab and plane? Wouldn't the electric field from the middle of the slab to the a x-distance d be different on both sides?

Once I did Gauss's law I got a correct solution of
(sigma + row_E) / 2(epsilon naught)

phyQuestion.JPG

Thank you for answering this question.

Mentor's Note: Thread moved to Advanced Physics Homework from another forum, hence the lack of a template.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem has charge that is not uniform in the inside, but it is still possible to find the electric field as a function of distance outside the slab using Gauss's law. How is this possible if the electric field is not uniform in the slab and plane?
Gauss law has no restriction to uniform charge distributions. The electric field found doesn't have to be uniform either. Why do you think it would have to be ?

Wouldn't the electric field from the middle of the slab to the a x-distance d be different on both sides?
What do you mean with "the electric field from the middle of the slab to the a x-distance d" ?

BvU said:
Gauss law has no restriction to uniform charge distributions. The electric field found doesn't have to be uniform either. Why do you think it would have to be ?

What do you mean with "the electric field from the middle of the slab to the a x-distance d" ?
If Gauss's law calculates the net electric flux. I don't understand how it's possible that calculating the electric field if the surface does not have a uniform field.
I made a typo. I mean to say the x-direction from the middle of the slab. Sorry.

Thank you for helping.

Jae said:
If Gauss's law calculates the net electric flux. I don't understand how it's possible that calculating the electric field if the surface does not have a uniform field.
I made a typo. I mean to say the x-direction from the middle of the slab. Sorry.

Thank you for helping.
Gauss's Law only finds the total flux through a closed surface.

If there is sufficient symmetry present, then it may be possible to determine the electric field on some portion of the surface.

Related to Why Gauss's law works when charge enclosed is not uniform?

1. Why does Gauss's law work when the charge enclosed is not uniform?

Gauss's law is based on the principle of flux, which states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This means that the distribution of charge within the enclosed surface does not affect the total electric flux, making Gauss's law applicable even when the charge is not uniform.

2. How does Gauss's law apply to non-uniformly charged objects?

Gauss's law can be used to calculate the total electric field at a point near a non-uniformly charged object by considering a small portion of the object and using the principle of superposition to add up the contributions from each small portion. This allows us to treat the non-uniformly charged object as a collection of point charges, making Gauss's law applicable.

3. Can Gauss's law also be applied to non-closed surfaces?

Yes, Gauss's law can be applied to both closed and non-closed surfaces. However, for non-closed surfaces, the electric field is only considered at the points on the surface and not inside the surface. This is because the electric flux through a non-closed surface is not necessarily equal to the total charge enclosed.

4. Is Gauss's law only applicable to electrostatic situations?

No, Gauss's law is applicable in both electrostatic and dynamic situations. In dynamic situations, the total enclosed charge includes both stationary and moving charges, and the electric flux through the surface is calculated at a specific instant in time.

5. How is Gauss's law related to Coulomb's law?

Gauss's law can be derived from Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two point charges is proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By considering a small portion of a uniformly charged object, we can use Coulomb's law to calculate the electric field at a point and then integrate over the entire surface to obtain Gauss's law.