Why is chaos more studied in dc-dc converters compared to other circuits?

In summary, the conversation discussed the reason for the emphasis on studying chaos in DC-DC converters and not in other nonlinear circuits like rectifiers. The conversation also touched on the potential for chaotic behavior in systems with nonlinear elements and the difference between deterministic chaos and noise. The topic was further explored with links to articles and discussions on chaotic behavior in power electronics. The conversation ended with a clarification on the different modes of operation in DC-DC converters and the changes in the mapping process for studying chaos.
student-engineer
Why is chaos only more studied in dc-dc converters and not in other nonlinear circuits, such as, rectifiers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
student-engineer said:
Why is chaos only more studied in dc-dc converters and not in other nonlinear circuits, such as, rectifiers?
What leads you to believe this is the case?

Likes student-engineer
Because I have not read about chaos analysis of rectifiers anywhere,except for few places.May be that is not emphasized much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Performing a Google search on "chaos in electronic circuits" returns over 500,000 hits; Chua's circuit, for example.
Search Youtube for "electronic circuit chaos". More generally, systems containing one or more non-linear elements have the potential to exhibit chaotic behavior.

Likes student-engineer
student-engineer said:
Can you post a link to what you are asking about? Chaos in what part of the DC-DC converter? And do you really mean chaos and not just "noise"?

Likes student-engineer, Asymptotic, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person
There is apparently an article (with a good number of citations) that discusses a number of examples from power electronics, among which a rectifier circuit.
A co-author of one of my advisors has worked on this specific topic and has written some more recent review material as well. Of course, there is much more around, as already indicated in post #4.

I'm sorry, I cannot help you with the engineering part of this topic, but here are others that can.
berkeman said:
And do you really mean chaos and not just "noise"?
Yes, that is a good point, but given the OPs question history, I think he is interested primarily in deterministic chaos.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Asymptotic, student-engineer and 1 other person
Yes,I mean deterministic chaos.Noise is a random phenomenon.
I read that paper by Hamill and deane before.But most of the papers are about chaos in dc-dc converters and not about rectifiers.

student-engineer said:
Yes,I mean deterministic chaos.Noise is a random phenomenon
Okay, but can you reply to this part please?
berkeman said:
Chaos in what part of the DC-DC converter?

Likes student-engineer
berkeman said:
Okay, but can you reply to this part please?
Sorry,I was busy for a while.In a dc-dc converter or a power electronic circuit,waveforms of output current and voltage (i.e. the state variables) can get aperiodic or chaotic.This is when circuit is said to be working in a chaotic mode.Hope that this answers your query,if not,then I can elaborate more on what I think that I know about it.
Thanks to the physics forum for knowledge.

Welcome back! :smile:
student-engineer said:
Sorry,I was busy for a while.In a dc-dc converter or a power electronic circuit,waveforms of current and voltage across some element of circuit can get aperiodic or chaotic.This is when circuit is said to be working in a chaotic mode.Hope that this answers your query,if not,then I can elaborate more on what I think that I know about it.
Thanks to the physics forum for knowledge.
No, sorry. That doesn't really help. Are you referring to discontinuous mode? From what I've seen of the definition of chaos earlier in this thread and elsewhere, I'm not sure it qualifies... (but I know very little about chaos)

Likes student-engineer
berkeman said:
Welcome back! :smile:

No, sorry. That doesn't really help. Are you referring to discontinuous mode? From what I've seen of the definition of chaos earlier in this thread and elsewhere, I'm not sure it qualifies... (but I know very little about chaos)
Chaos in dc-dc converters is studied separately for their ccm (continuous conduction mode) and dcm (discontinuous conduction mode) modes.The method of study of chaos for dcm mode changes as the functioning of circuit changes in this mode.For instance,in buck converter,current in inductor cannot be zero in ccm mode,whereas,it takes the zero value too during dcm mode.The mapping process changes.The waveforms of the state variables are periodic in power electronic converters.They become aperiodic in chaotic mode.That is what I know.I can be wrong too. :smile:

1. Why are dc-dc converters more susceptible to chaos compared to other circuits?

Dc-dc converters are more likely to exhibit chaotic behavior due to their non-linear characteristics and the presence of feedback loops. These factors can lead to unstable and unpredictable output voltages, making it important to study and understand chaos in these circuits.

2. How does chaos affect the performance of dc-dc converters?

Chaos can have a significant impact on the performance of dc-dc converters, as it can cause fluctuations in output voltage and current. This can result in efficiency losses and potential damage to the converter and connected devices.

3. What techniques are used to control chaos in dc-dc converters?

Various techniques, such as bifurcation control, chaos suppression, and chaos synchronization, can be used to control chaos in dc-dc converters. These methods involve manipulating the circuit parameters or using control strategies to stabilize the output voltage and prevent chaotic behavior.

4. Are there any benefits to studying chaos in dc-dc converters?

Studying chaos in dc-dc converters can lead to a better understanding of their behavior and improved design techniques. It can also help identify potential issues and improve the stability and efficiency of these circuits.

5. Is there a specific reason why chaos is more studied in dc-dc converters compared to other circuits?

Dc-dc converters are widely used in various electronic devices and systems, making it important to understand and control their chaotic behavior. Additionally, their non-linear nature and feedback loops make them more prone to chaos compared to other circuits, making it a crucial area of study for scientists and engineers.