Why is Energy Flat? Exploring the Dimensionality of e=mc^2

In summary, the equation e = mc^2 is confusing because it is dealing with dimensions that are not clearly defined. Energy is 3 dimensional, but the units used to describe it (m/s, kg, m^2, s^-2) are not. Additionally, this equation is missing a dimension, which is why it is confusing.
You can't compare force and energy.

Force is a vector, and has a direction, while energy is a scalar.

Robert, in your first post, you say that acceleration is the component of s^-2. this is not true. Acceleration has a unit of m/s^2. Which would take one of the meters of your area out.

So... even if you are correct, energy would be 1-dimensional, not two.

Physics news on Phys.org
bp_psy said:
No.Forces have no shapes. That you are doing in your quest to visualize stuff is basically create meaningless models and disregard useful models that work and help understand how things actually work. And I am using "how it actually works" in the same way as you do and not that it gives results. The shape that an object takes when forces are applied to it is the object of study in continuum mechanics which has a very solid basis and does explain quite well "how stuff works". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_mechanics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deformation_(mechanics)
I see that in the end you are not interested in a discussion or to address to any of the points me and others have raised. So I see no point in this thread any more.

Actually what I realized is that you speak one language. To describe a concept, you have to use that one language or everything gets confusing. I have seen this countless times when 2 computer guys describe the same concept but cannot come to agreements.

I am having trouble understanding what language a physicist speaks if it is not mathematics. But when attempting to use mathematical concepts I was warned to be very cautious in using math to describe a concept, since physical reality and math do not jive...

So really what you want to hear to understand what I am saying, is the exact physics equations and basically quotes from physicists that fully understood these things or at least could use the equations you are familiar with effectively. Unfortunately, if I knew all of these things already... I would have never made this post, because it would have been irrelevant.

I come from a computer science background, and it appears very difficult to try to bridge that gap in a discussion here. So instead of continuing a path that is doomed to fail, I have instead turned my energies to getting familiar with the language that you guys speak. So I can describe the same concepts you are describing in a manner you will understand.