Why is spin number half integer, especially +1/2,-1/2 for electrons?

In summary, the spin number of a particle is determined by the type of particle it is and is related to the transformation properties of its corresponding field under the Lorentz group.
Nick Jackson
Ok guys, I know this must be pretty basic for but I am new to this section of physics. Anyway, my question is a two-part one, I guess:
1) Why does the spin number get only half integer values in fermions and integer values in bosons, mesons, etc.?
2) How do we conclude that the spin number is taking the values +1/2 and -1/2 in electrons (I mean mathematically)?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The spin-statistics theorem of relativistic quantum field theory states that particles with integer spin must be bosons, and that particles with half-odd-integer spin must be fermions.

2) For a particle with position operator ##\vec x## and momentum operator ##\vec p##, we can define an orbital angular momentum operator ##\vec L = \vec x \times \vec p##. From the canonical commutation relation ##[x_i,p_j]=i\hbar\delta_{ij}##, we can derive the commutation relation ##[L_i,L_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}L_k##. We then postulate that, in addition to orbital angular momentum, a particle may have spin angular momentum. This involves an additional operator ##\vec S## with commutation relations ##[S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k##. It is then possible to prove mathematically that the eigenvalues of ##{\vec S}{}^2## are ##s(s+1)\hbar^2## where the allowed values of ##s## are ##0,1/2,1,3/2,2,\ldots##. It is then an empirical fact that ##s=1/2## for electrons.

In relativistic quantum field theory, each type of particle arises as an excitation of a particular field. How the fields transform under the Lorentz group determines the spin of the corresponding particle.

Last edited:

Related to Why is spin number half integer, especially +1/2,-1/2 for electrons?

1. Why do electrons have a spin number of half integer?

The spin number of electrons is a fundamental property that is described by quantum mechanics. It is not possible to fully explain why electrons have a spin number of half integer using classical physics. However, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, electrons are fermions and therefore have a spin number of either +1/2 or -1/2.

2. What does the spin number of electrons represent?

The spin number of electrons is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of the electron. This spin can be thought of as the electron rotating on its own axis.

3. Why are only two spin states (+1/2 and -1/2) possible for electrons?

This is due to the spin statistics theorem, which states that particles with half-integer spin must have anti-symmetric wave functions in order to obey the Pauli exclusion principle. This means that there can only be two spin states for electrons.

4. How is the spin number of electrons measured?

The spin number of electrons can be measured using a device called a Stern-Gerlach apparatus. This device applies a magnetic field gradient to a beam of electrons, causing them to split into two distinct paths based on their spin orientation. By measuring the paths of the electrons, the spin number can be determined.

5. Can the spin number of electrons change?

No, the spin number of electrons is an intrinsic property and cannot be changed. However, it is possible for the spin orientation of an electron to be altered through interactions with other particles or external magnetic fields.