Why is the Big Bang shown always directional, instead of globally?

• I
  • Thread starter two OLD 2 care
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary: So in order for us to understand the early universe, we have to use the tools and observations we have at our disposal, which is why the Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted theory for the origins of the universe.
two OLD 2 care
TL;DR Summary
Why is the Big Bang shown always directional, instead of globally ?
I`m new to physics, but old to the plant ( 70 )
My question is 1) why wouldn`t the universe have evolved ,
( change from little / big ), leaving a bit of both , i.e. 2 theories ?
2) Why is the Big Bang always depicted, directionally ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
two OLD 2 care said:
why wouldn`t the universe have evolved ,
( change from little / big ), leaving a bit of both
It is bigger now than it was before. But we think the universe is infinite in extent. If you think about it more, you should see that nothing finite in size can ever grow to infinite size. Nor can something infinite in size ever have been finite in the past.

two OLD 2 care said:
Why is the Big Bang always depicted, directionally ?

The early universe was also opaque to light. So here is a more realistic picture of it. Not very interesting huh?

1638633264252.png

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
two OLD 2 care said:
Summary:: Why is the Big Bang shown always directional, instead of globally ?

I`m new to physics, but old to the plant ( 70 )
My question is 1) why wouldn`t the universe have evolved ,
( change from little / big ), leaving a bit of both , i.e. 2 theories ?
2) Why is the Big Bang always depicted, directionally ?
I'm not sure I understand either of these questions.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
anorlunda said:
It is bigger now than it was before. But we think the universe is infinite in extent. If you think about it more, you should see that nothing finite in size can ever grow to infinite size. Nor can something infinite in size ever have been finite in the past.
The early universe was also opaque to light. So here is a more realistic picture of it. Not very interesting huh?

View attachment 293563
You didn`t get my drift.
I was axing, why should we assume the universe back then is what
we ended up with along with some flak from before ?
Maybe the elements change or gave ( birth ) to or decayed from what was once. Leaving us with a open path of the physics tree.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
two OLD 2 care said:
You didn`t get my drift.
I was axing, why should we assume the universe back then is what
we ended up with along with some flak from before ?
Maybe the elements change or gave ( birth ) to or decayed from what was once. Leaving us with a open path of the physics tree.
What reading have you been doing about these questions? Hopefully we can point you to some better sources of information to read...

Here is a reasonable place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

How about you read through that introductory article and come back here with any specific questions you have about that reading... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Reading the Wikipedia article and come back is likely the best idea. My naive attempt to riddle the second set of questions is that there is a confusion between biological evolution theory and cosmological evolution of the expanding universe. This is a confusion deliberately sourced by creationists, and one may meet it in various places where it doesn't belong (such as on science sites).

The former theory is the theory of the observed biological evolution process, which do have pathways and splits and forms phylogenetic trees. The latter is a completely different process, best described by likewise observed inflationary hot big bang theory in US National Academy of Sciences Astro2020 Decadal Survey* - a cosmological inflationary expansion process [a "Lambda expansion" if you want to analogize] followed by a Lambda-Cold Dark Matter expansion process.

*It reads as the committee result as it is, since the cosmological report can't come out and clearly separate the two eras albeit they do admit that inflation happened before the now properly labeled Hot Big Bang and that unless the expansion was eternal - the naive result in the observed flat space topology - it may explain how expansion started. I think I will call the NAS Astro2020 description the "Bug Bang" because the mental gymnastics of conservative cosmologists bugs me. 😎

Likes alantheastronomer
two OLD 2 care said:
It's certainly possible that the early universe was very, very different from what we see today. And scientists have various theories about this possibility. The problem is that if we can't observe it, it's nearly impossible to make a working model or theory on it.

1. Why is the Big Bang considered directional?

The Big Bang is considered directional because it represents the beginning of the universe and the expansion of matter and energy in all directions. This directional expansion is supported by observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which shows a nearly uniform distribution in all directions.

2. Is the Big Bang shown as directional in all models of the universe?

Yes, the directional expansion of the Big Bang is a fundamental aspect of all models of the universe, including the widely accepted Lambda-CDM model. This directional expansion is also supported by observations of the large-scale structure of the universe, which shows a web-like pattern of galaxies and clusters that are expanding away from each other.

3. Why is the Big Bang shown as directional instead of a single point?

The Big Bang is shown as directional because it represents the expansion of the universe from a single point, known as a singularity. This expansion is not limited to a single direction, but rather occurs in all directions simultaneously. Therefore, the directional representation is used to illustrate this expansion in a simplified manner.

4. Can the directionality of the Big Bang change over time?

No, the directionality of the Big Bang is a fundamental aspect of the universe and is not expected to change over time. The expansion of the universe is believed to continue in all directions at a constant rate, as supported by observations and theoretical models.

5. How does the directionality of the Big Bang support the concept of an expanding universe?

The directionality of the Big Bang supports the concept of an expanding universe by showing that the universe is not static, but rather continuously expanding in all directions. This supports the idea that the universe had a beginning and has been expanding ever since, which is a key principle of the Big Bang theory.