Why is the curl of H zero in a plasma and where does the factor of me come from?

In summary, the article states that curl is not zero if the vector field is spinning, and that the factor of ##m_e## comes from assuming the exponential form of the vector field. The answer to the second question is that force is force regardless of the form of the vector field. The answer to the first question is that the factor of ##m_e## comes from the fact that the time derivative is just ##- i \omega \vec{E}##.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
I'm following my instructor's notes and they read as follows

"In a plasma all the electrons are free. Then

$$\vec{J_f} = \sigma \vec{E} = Nq\vec{V} $$

and

$$m_e \frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} = - q \vec{E}$$

I don't see how this is possible unless we assume

$$\nabla \times \vec{H} = \vec{0}$$

per Maxwell's Equations. And I have no idea why that would physically substantiated.
Relevant Equations
$$\nabla \times \vec{H} = \vec{J_f} + \epsilon \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}$$
If we assume ##\nabla \times \vec{H} = \vec{0}## (again I have no idea why this would be true)

$$\vec{0} = \sigma \vec{E} + \epsilon \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}$$

$$\vec{0} = \sigma \vec{E} + \epsilon Nq\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t}$$

$$-\sigma \vec{E} = \epsilon Nq\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t}$$

multiply through by ##\frac{q}{\sigma}##

$$-q\vec{E} = \frac{\epsilon N q^2}{\sigma} \frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t}$$

I guess my question is two fold

1) Why is ##\nabla \times \vec{H} = \vec{0}## physically or mathematically ?

2) Where does the factor of ##m_e## come from?

As always any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has something to do with assuming the exponential form of ##\vec{E}## and thus ##\vec{V}## hence their derivatives will be scalar multiples of each other.

Let me take a crack at it. (And the thing is I don't even think we need to invoke Ampere's Law, at least not directly)

$$\vec{E} = \frac{Nq}{\sigma} \vec{V}$$

$$\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t} = \frac{Nq}{\sigma} \frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} $$

Assuming the form

$$\vec{E} = \vec{E_0} e^{i\left(\vec{k} \cdot {x} - \omega t \right)}$$ the time derivative is merely ##- i \omega \vec{E}##

So we have$$-i \omega \vec{E} = \frac{Nq}{\sigma} \frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t}$$

$$\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} = \frac{-i \omega \sigma}{Nq} \vec{E} $$

Multiply through by ##m_e## we get$$ m_e \frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} = m_e \frac{-i \omega \sigma}{Nq} \vec{E} $$

Which is close but not quite the answer I'm looking for

The answer I'm looking for is

$$m_e \frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} = - q \vec{E}$$

(Which is reasonable since it's essentially saying Force = Force)

I guess somehow

$$m_e \frac{-i \omega \sigma}{Nq} = q$$

But I'm not seeing it.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help in advanced.

Also the factor of ##i## is concerning, I don't see how to get rid of it. It seems inevitable when taking the time derivative of a wave form.

Last edited:
As an aside, I just found this 3blue1brown video on curl and divergence that can help to understand the meaning behind these vector field operations:

What is the meaning of "Curl of H = 0" in a Plasma?

The curl of H = 0 in a plasma refers to the fact that the magnetic field, represented by H, is constant and not changing over time. This means that there is no net flow of magnetic field lines in the plasma.

Why is the "Curl of H = 0" important in plasma physics?

The "Curl of H = 0" is important because it indicates that the plasma is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that there are no forces acting on the plasma that would cause it to change or move. This is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior and properties of plasmas.

What are the implications of a "Curl of H = 0" in a plasma for magnetic confinement?

In magnetic confinement devices, such as tokamaks or stellarators, the "Curl of H = 0" condition is essential for achieving stable plasma confinement. Without this condition, the magnetic field lines would be free to move and cause disruptions in the plasma, leading to loss of confinement.

Can the "Curl of H = 0" condition be violated in a plasma?

Yes, in certain situations, the "Curl of H = 0" condition can be violated in a plasma. This can happen during plasma instabilities or when external forces are applied to the plasma. However, these violations are usually short-lived and the plasma will eventually return to a state of equilibrium.

How is the "Curl of H = 0" condition related to the overall behavior of a plasma?

The "Curl of H = 0" condition is a fundamental aspect of plasma physics and is related to the overall behavior of the plasma. It is one of the key principles that govern the dynamics and stability of plasmas, and is essential for understanding and predicting their behavior in various applications, such as fusion energy research.