Why is the equation for a particle's wave function given by ##\nu = E/h##?

• Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
In summary: So for a massive particle, the equation would be ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (hv)^2## instead of just ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2## because the particle's wave function includes a time-dependent frequency term.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
I understand that E=mc^2 and E=hv can't be used to set mc^2 equal to hv, but why would the total equation be E=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 instead of E=mc^2+hv? I'm sorry if this question is stupid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the Pythagorean theorem ##c^2 = a^2 + b^2## instead of ##c = a + b##? That's just how space works.

##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## is just an application of the Pythagorean theorem in spacetime.

Likes Isaac0427
Khashishi said:
Why is the Pythagorean theorem ##c^2 = a^2 + b^2## instead of ##c = a + b##? That's just how space works.

##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## is just an application of the Pythagorean theorem in spacetime.
Ok, thanks. By the way, what is the difference between pc and hv? I see them used interchangeably.

Ok, I gave a misleading answer and I think I need to address it. Space-time has a different metric than space, and Pythagorean theorem works differently. In familiar 3D, the metric is ##dr^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2## so Pythagorean theorem is as above.
But in 4D space time, time has an opposite sign to space, so the corresponding metric is ##ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2## or ##ds^2 = dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2## depending on the convention you adopt.

So you can rewrite ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## as
##(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2##
##(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (p_xc)^2 - (p_yc)^2 - (p_zc)^2##

The invariant mass "m" is the 4D length of the energy and momentum 4-vector. But length is calculated using something like the Pythagorean theorem but with negative sign in front of the momentum. This is a result of the negative sign in the metric. This is clearer if you drop all the c constants from the equation.
##m^2 = E^2 - p_x^2 - p_y^2 - p_z^2##
You can drop c if you measure length and time in compatible units. If you measure time in seconds, you should measure length in light-seconds, and then you can set c = 1 light-second/second and then make it go away.

Likes Edward Hunia, Isaac0427 and fresh_42
You shouldn't be using ##h\nu## in this equation. It isn't correct to interchange ##h\nu## with ##pc## except for massless particles.

Likes Isaac0427
Isaac0427 said:
why would the total equation be E=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2

Who says it looks like that?

jtbell said:
Who says it looks like that?
My bad, I meant E^2

E=hv also for a massive particle.

What is "v" here?

Isaac0427 said:
My bad, I meant E^2

I was referring to the (hv)^2 part, not the E on the left which should indeed be E^2.

nasu said:
What is "v" here?

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to mean "nu" (##\nu##) for frequency, not "v" for velocity.

##\nu##

my2cts said:
E=hv also for a massive particle.
What do you mean?

A particle's wave function has a time-dependent part whose frequency is given by ##\nu = E/h##.

For example, a free particle has ##\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{i(px-Et)/\hbar} = Ae^{2 \pi i(px-Et)/h}## so the time dependent part is ##e^{-2 \pi i Et / h}##. One form of an oscillator in complex-number space is ##e^{-i \omega t} = e^{-2 \pi i \nu t}##. Compare the two, and you get ##\nu = E/h##.

1. Why is the equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 important?

The equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2, also known as the energy-mass-momentum relation, is important because it explains the relationship between energy, mass, and momentum in the field of physics. It is a fundamental equation in Einstein's theory of special relativity and has been used to make significant advancements in our understanding of the universe.

2. How was the equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 derived?

Albert Einstein derived the equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 in 1905 as a result of his theory of special relativity. He combined the concept of mass-energy equivalence (E=mc^2) with the equation for the energy of a photon (E=hv) to create a unified equation that describes the relationship between energy, mass, and momentum.

3. What does each term in the equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 represent?

The term E represents energy, m represents mass, c represents the speed of light, h represents Planck's constant, and v represents the frequency of light. The equation shows that energy is composed of two parts: the rest energy of an object (mc^2) and the energy of its motion (hv).

4. Can the equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 be applied to all objects?

Yes, the equation can be applied to all objects, including particles and photons. However, it is most commonly used to describe the energy and mass of particles moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. At everyday speeds, the equation simplifies to the more familiar form, E=mc^2.

5. How does the equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 relate to the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

The equation E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 is a direct result of the concept of mass-energy equivalence, which states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This equation shows that energy is not only related to mass, but also to momentum, as represented by the term (hv)^2. It further demonstrates that energy and mass are inseparable and constantly changing forms in the universe.