Why Is the Immersion Tube Heat Exchanger Not Heating the Tank Efficiently?

In summary, Nick is looking for information on how to calculate the heat transfer from the tube HEX to the surrounding water in the tank. He believes that if he can find the U value for the tube hex, it will help him calculate the heatup time for the system.
ZANL
Hi all,

Im new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any help i can get.

I work for a solar hot water company and we have taken on an unhappy client who has been sold a custom thermal storage tank (by another firm), with a corrugated stainless steel tube immersion heater. The hot solar water, flows through this tube HEX and then warms the tank, or so the theory goes!

In reality this is not happening and we can see that the system is not able to transfer enough energy into the tank, because the solar panel temp rises way to quickly and remains high. The tank also takes way to long to heat, based on what we normally expect from a solar system.

I am desperately looking for a way to calculate the heat transfer from the tube HEX to the surrounding water in the tank.
We may choose to lengthen the tube HEX, if viable, or supply a brazed plate HEX to perform the duty required.

Basic data is as follows:

Total collectors: 20 panels
Desired flow per panel: 100l/m/panel
Solar flow rate: 33l/m
Solar temp : 70C
HEX Dia: 25mm
Total developed HEX length: 3M (ignoring corrugations)
HEX Tube Material: Stainless Steel
Tank volume: 2500L
Peak energy from all solar collectors: 36kWh

I need to know that in peak conditions i can transfer 36kWh to the tank and return much cooler water back to the panel, so that my overall efficiency is higher.

Thanks!
Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
The most accurate way to do this would be to solve this differential equation:

m cp dT / dt = QHX = UA (Tsolar - T)

for T which is the tank fluid temperature.

And approximate way to find the total heatup time would be:

t = m cp (Tf - Ti) / [ U A (Tsolar - Ttank-average) ]

where Tf and Ti are your tank fluid initial and final temperatures and T-tank-average is a suitable average temperature of the tank.

If you are not familar with these kind of calculations, let me know!

Thanks so much! I figured those heat balance equations would be used... This is quite a challenge for me. I assume we are after the U value for the tube hex? Also on the left side of the first equation...what exactly are dT and dt respectively and are they logarithmic temp differentials?

dT/dt is the rate of change of tank temp. with respect to time.

Thanks SteamKing and edgepflow!
I think i have all the puzzle pieces now...
I will post my calc once done...

Related to Why Is the Immersion Tube Heat Exchanger Not Heating the Tank Efficiently?

1. What is an immersion tube heat exchanger?

An immersion tube heat exchanger is a device used for transferring heat between two fluids that are at different temperatures. It consists of a tube, which is immersed in one of the fluids, and through which the other fluid flows, allowing heat to be transferred from one fluid to the other.

2. How does an immersion tube heat exchanger work?

An immersion tube heat exchanger works by using the principle of heat transfer through conduction. The tube, which is usually made of a highly conductive material such as copper or stainless steel, allows heat to transfer from one fluid to the other as they come into contact with each other.

3. What are the advantages of using an immersion tube heat exchanger?

Some advantages of using an immersion tube heat exchanger include its compact size, efficiency, and low maintenance requirements. It also allows for easy control of the temperature of the fluids and can handle a wide range of flow rates and temperatures.

4. What are the common applications of immersion tube heat exchangers?

Immersion tube heat exchangers are commonly used in industries such as chemical processing, food and beverage production, and HVAC systems. They are also used in applications that require precise temperature control, such as laboratory equipment and medical devices.

5. How do you maintain an immersion tube heat exchanger?

Maintenance of an immersion tube heat exchanger typically involves regular cleaning to prevent buildup of deposits or fouling on the tube surface, which can decrease its efficiency. This can be done by flushing the tubes with a cleaning solution or using mechanical methods such as brushing or scraping. It is also important to regularly check for any leaks or damage to the tubes and repair or replace them as needed.