Why Is the Magnetic Field Uniform in a Non-Coaxial Cylindrical Cavity?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a point inside an infinitely long cylinder with a hollow cut out of it. The magnetic field is found to be uniform throughout the cavity and is proportional to the distance between the centers of the cylinders. The attempt at a solution involves using Ampere's law and superposition, but the given answer is not achieved. The other person suggests considering the magnetic field vectors, which are perpendicular to the radial vector and the wire axis.
c299792458

Homework Statement

We are given an infinitely long cylinder of radius b with an empty cylinder (not coaxial) cut out of it, of radius a. The system carries a steady current (direction along the cylinders) of size I. I am trying to find the magnetic field at a point in the hollow. I am told that the answer is that the magnetic field is uniform throughout the cavity. and is proportional to [itex]d\over b^2-a^2[/itex] where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the centers of the cylinders.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found by using Ampere's law that the magnetic field at a point at distance r from the axis in a cylinder of radius R carrying a steady current, I, is given by [itex]\mu_0 I r\over 2\pi R^2[/itex]. So I thought I would use superposition. But what I get is [itex]{\mu_0 I \sqrt{(x-d)^2+y^2}\over 2\pi b^2}-{\mu_0 I \sqrt{(x)^2+y^2}\over 2\pi a^2}[/itex]. However this is not the given answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, but you have to superpose the magnetic field vectors.

@M Quack: Thank you. I don't know how to change these into vectors, could you please kindly give me another nudge? Thanks again.

The magnetic field generated by a long wire goes right around the wire. So it is perpendicular to the raidal vector.

If the wire is along (0,0,z) and your point at (x,y,z), you know that B_z=0 and that
B is perpendicular to (x,y,0). What vector has these properties?

I would first like to commend you for utilizing Ampere's law to approach this problem. Your attempt at using superposition is also a valid approach, but it seems that there may be a discrepancy in your calculations.

Upon further examination, I believe the given answer is indeed correct. The magnetic field within the cavity can be thought of as a combination of the magnetic fields from two separate sources: the outer cylinder and the inner cylinder. The field from the outer cylinder can be calculated using Ampere's law, as you have correctly done. However, for the inner cylinder, the distance from the axis to any point within the cavity will always be the same, regardless of the point's position. Therefore, the magnetic field from the inner cylinder will be constant throughout the cavity and proportional to 1/a^2.

To obtain the given answer, you can add the magnetic fields from the two sources using superposition. This will give you a uniform magnetic field throughout the cavity, proportional to d/(b^2-a^2).

In summary, your approach was correct, but there may have been a mistake in your calculations. The given answer is the result of considering the magnetic fields from both the outer and inner cylinders, and taking into account the distance between their centers. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to Why Is the Magnetic Field Uniform in a Non-Coaxial Cylindrical Cavity?

1. What is a magnetic field in a cavity?

A magnetic field in a cavity refers to the presence of a magnetic field inside an enclosed space or cavity. This can be caused by the presence of magnetic materials or by the flow of electric current.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a cavity?

A magnetic field in a cavity is typically created by the presence of a magnetic material, such as a magnet, or by the flow of electric current through conductive materials. The movement of charged particles creates a magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field in a cavity?

The strength of a magnetic field in a cavity is affected by the type and strength of the magnetic material present, the amount of electric current flowing through the cavity, and the size and shape of the cavity itself.

4. How is a magnetic field in a cavity measured?

A magnetic field in a cavity can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which is specifically designed to measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields. Other methods include using a compass or a Hall effect sensor.

5. What are the practical applications of a magnetic field in a cavity?

Magnetic fields in cavities have a variety of practical applications, including in medical imaging devices (such as MRI machines), magnetic levitation transportation systems, and in the production of electricity in power plants. They are also used in manufacturing processes, such as in the creation of computer hard drives and speakers.