Why is the voltage dropping down in my rectifier-regulator circuit?

• Thread starter shaikss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: They won't give you an exact answer, but they'll tell you how much head room you have.In summary, when you hook up a rectifier to a regulator, the voltage will drop because current decreases as the load is applied.
shaikss
Voltage is dropping down !

Hi Folks,

I have designed a rectifier and regulator for RFID Tag. Both are working fine when they are simulated independently.
When I gave 500mV as input to 4-stage rectifier, I got 1V output for open load ckt condition.

Now, I have connected rectifier to regulator. Rectifier output is 500mV. What may be the reason? Because of the load, current decreases. That is fair. But why voltage is decreasing? Any clue. When regulator has run independently, it consumes 836nW of power. I am in desperate need of help. Pls help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Open circuit voltage of an unregulated voltage source will always be higher than when a load is applied

your description seems a bit odd ...
When I gave 500mV as input to 4-stage rectifier

what does that mean ?

Now, I have connected rectifier to regulator.

what sort of regulator ?

would you please like to show a circuit diagram of your project so it could be understood and fault diagnosed easier :)

Dave

You "gave the circuit 500mV".
Was this 500mV RMS? / Peak?
These simulators have a lot to answer for, you know. They make it possible to launch into things you may just not be ready for. What actual answers were you expecting, on the basis of your knowledge of electronics - and why?

I'm new here, but what if you hooked up the rectifier incorrectly? Could you wind up with a voltage multiplier with what you have? that would explain it, also don't forget that a diode will drop approx 1.5 V.

I just caught the tail end of this, but having used simulators before, I was quite impressed with they're usefulness and they seemed to work very well.

shadtek said:
I'm new here, but what if you hooked up the rectifier incorrectly? Could you wind up with a voltage multiplier with what you have? that would explain it, also don't forget that a diode will drop approx 1.5 V.

I just caught the tail end of this, but having used simulators before, I was quite impressed with they're usefulness and they seemed to work very well.

Imo, where simple circuits are concerned, all simulators do is to save the trouble of building something but they can often be used as a substitute for
1. Thought
and
2. Learning stuff.
But then, I still value the idea of knowing your multiplication tables.

Even commercial linear regulars, such as the LM7805, need some head room.

image002.jpg

What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V).

What causes voltage to drop down?

Voltage can drop down due to several reasons, including resistance in the circuit, changes in the load, or malfunctioning components.

How does voltage affect electrical devices?

Electrical devices require a certain amount of voltage to function properly. If the voltage drops below this level, the device may not work as intended or may not work at all.

What can I do to fix a dropping voltage?

The solution to fixing a dropping voltage depends on the root cause. It could involve replacing faulty components, adjusting the load, or using a stabilizer or regulator to maintain a consistent voltage.

Is a dropping voltage dangerous?

In most cases, a dropping voltage is not dangerous. However, if the voltage drops too low, it can cause electrical devices to malfunction or even damage them. It is important to monitor and address dropping voltage to ensure the safe functioning of electrical systems.