Why is this SHM the way it is?

In summary, the conversation discusses four different forms in which an SHM can be represented, the use of negative B in order to arrive at acos(wt+e), and the justification for the process.
Vivek98phyboy
Screenshot_2019-12-10-11-32-34-111_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg

I know four different forms in which an SHM can be represented after solving the differential and taking the superposition
acos(wt+Ø)
asin(wt+Ø)
acos(wt-Ø)
asin(wt-Ø)
where a- amplitude
In the above image they took B as negative in order to arrive at acos(wt+e). If i already knew i wanted acos(wt+e) or acos(wt-e) then i would have decided how to modify B in order to get my answer, but if I'm deriving it for the first time then how would i know whether to take B as +ve or -ve
Why is it necessary to take B as negative, can't they just take it as +ve and end up with cos(wt-Ø). How is the process justified here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vivek98phyboy said:
View attachment 253960
I know four different forms in which an SHM can be represented after solving the differential and taking the superposition
acos(wt+Ø)
asin(wt+Ø)
acos(wt-Ø)
asin(wt-Ø)
where a- amplitude
In the above image they took B as negative in order to arrive at acos(wt+e). If i already knew i wanted acos(wt+e) or acos(wt-e) then i would have decided how to modify B in order to get my answer, but if I'm deriving it for the first time then how would i know whether to take B as +ve or -ve
Why is it necessary to take B as negative, can't they just take it as +ve and end up with cos(wt-Ø). How is the process justified here?

It's all justified by the trig identities leading to equation 22.

Note they are not taking ##B## as negative. ##B## can be +ve or -ve here. They are defining ##\epsilon## so that ##\sin \epsilon = \frac{-B}{\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}}##. The -ve sign is needed do that the required trig identity holds.

Likes Vivek98phyboy

1. Why does SHM occur?

SHM occurs because of a restoring force that acts on an object when it is displaced from its equilibrium position. This restoring force is usually provided by a spring or a pendulum, and it causes the object to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium point.

2. What factors affect the amplitude and frequency of SHM?

The amplitude and frequency of SHM are affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring or pendulum, and the initial displacement of the object. These factors determine the strength of the restoring force and the speed at which the object oscillates.

3. Why is SHM considered a periodic motion?

SHM is considered a periodic motion because the object repeats its motion in a regular and predictable pattern. This means that the object will return to its starting point after a certain amount of time, and its motion can be described by a sinusoidal function.

4. How is SHM related to simple harmonic oscillator?

SHM is a type of simple harmonic motion, which is a specific type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. In other words, the force acting on the object is directly proportional to the distance it is from its equilibrium position.

5. Can SHM occur in real-life systems?

Yes, SHM can occur in real-life systems. Some examples of SHM in real-life include the motion of a mass on a spring, the swinging of a pendulum, and the vibrations of a guitar string. These systems may not exhibit perfect SHM, but they can be approximated as such for certain conditions.