Why not allow female soldiers to have combat roles?

• News
  • Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
In summary, the US Army and US Marines currently do not allow women into combat roles such as infantry and armor. However, the arguments against allowing women into these positions have been questioned. Some argue that women are not physically strong enough to carry wounded men, but this can be addressed by implementing equal strength tests for both men and women. Others argue that mothers should not be allowed in combat roles, but this same restriction is not applied to fathers. The military is currently moving towards allowing women in direct infantry combat positions, such as the US Army's plan to open up 14,000 new jobs for women. However, at the present time, no women are deployed in the infantry where the primary role is to engage in hand-to-hand combat.
bluemoonKY said:
The way to solve this problem is just allow women to join the infantry as volunteers. If a woman does not want to risk being a POW and being impregnated in a sexual assault, she could just not join the infantry (or not join the military). If a woman wants to chance it, she should be allowed to.
It wasn't the women that was my main concern but new life they will be carrying inside them. That was the reason I saw a link to the abortions debate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing, but to those who think men are not more upset by women getting shot or blown up, Israel tried using women in combat in the 1948 Arab-Israeli war and they had a problem of men trying to protect women. That is just something instinctive and also cultural. Think of it this way, if you have a family and a criminal breaks into the home, and the man goes and hides with the children and leaves the woman to handle the criminal, would you think much of the guy?

bluemoonKY said:
I don't know what the physical standards (if there are physical standards) are for men to join the infantry, but I know that whatever those standards are, some women could meet those standards. Wouldn't the femininst groups cry foul more now with 100% of women barred from the infantry than if we gave women that are truly physically equal a chance?

If you gave women truly physically equal a chance, sure, but that is not reality. If the standards are made equal and 99% of the women end up not being able to meet them, claims of sexual discrimination will occur. That is why they always create lower standards for women for physical activities. Army Airborne School was made a lot easier once they started allowing women to attend it. Also Army Basic Training for the non-combat arms was eased up a lot when they started mixing in women.

I always hear this silly argument that no women can do anything worthwhile to help in the infantry because they are too physically weak. People will say that no women could carry a wounded man to safety. Aneta Florczyk is a woman, and she can pick the average man up with no problem. Please click the link for proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aneta_Florczyk2.JPG

No one has said that "no women" can meet the standards, but the number that could is so miniscule and considering the politics involved, why possibly detriment the force for this incredibly small number? It is also not a silly argument to say that most women are physically weaker than most men, that's just a fact (that's why we have men's sports teams and women's sports teams).

Why can't a woman put her bloody tampon in a bag and bury it like the men do with their feces? I'm advocating that women be allowed to join the infantry as volunteers. If a woman chooses to never join the infantry because of ticks, then she would not have to join the infantry. But if a woman wants to join the infantry despite the fact that there are ticks in this world, they should be allowed to. A woman could either choose to get a man to inspect her genitalia, or a woman could get another female soldier to check her genitalia for ticks.

Having men do it could cause all manner of problems. Also, there might not be another female in the area.

All that said, I'd agree that if women can meet the standards, then let them try and see how the military deals with all these little problems (tick inspections, women having their period, hygiene issues, etc...). There would likely be very few females who would volunteer for the combat arms, so such problems the military would probably be able to adapt to. Allowing women to serve in the military period complicates things and causes problems, but that unto itself isn't an excuse to not let women serve.

Canada let's women serve in their combat arms, and they have the same issue, very few women doing it. Germany's KSK force is open to women if they can meet the standards, although thus far none have until recently, I think one made it. Israel has a mostly female infantry battalion called Caracal, although it generally does not handle any of the hardcore fighting and is not very highly respected within the Israeli army from what I understand.

The way to solve this problem is have equal physical standards for men and women.

Yes, but our political culture likely won't stand for this due to political correctness.

I've read that article by the female Marine combat engineer before. Just because she cannot handle being an infantry soldier does not mean that no women can handle being an infantry soldier.

Sure, but again the number that could would be very small.

CAC1001 said:
If you gave women truly physically equal a chance, sure, but that is not reality. If the standards are made equal and 99% of the women end up not being able to meet them, claims of sexual discrimination will occur. That is why they always create lower standards for women for physical activities. Army Airborne School was made a lot easier once they started allowing women to attend it. Also Army Basic Training for the non-combat arms was eased up a lot when they started mixing in women.
I agreed with some of the points in your previous point but here you are just lacking evidence. I am not willing to believe these statements as such: "Army Airborne School was made a lot easier once they started allowing women to attend it. Also Army Basic Training for the non-combat arms was eased up a lot when they started mixing in women"
Canada let's women serve in their combat arms, and they have the same issue, very few women doing it. Germany's KSK force is open to women if they can meet the standards, although thus far none have until recently, I think one made it. Israel has a mostly female infantry battalion called Caracal, although it generally does not handle any of the hardcore fighting and is not very highly respected within the Israeli army from what I understand.
Could you provide information sources?

bluemoonKY said:
I really don't see what genitalia has to do with this.
This is naive to the reality/history that women are/have been considered "the fairer sex".
bluemoonKY said:
I don't know what the physical standards (if there are physical standards) are for men to join the infantry, but I know that whatever those standards are, some women could meet those standards. Wouldn't the femininst groups cry foul more now with 100% of women barred from the infantry than if we gave women that are truly physically equal a chance?
I'm not sure, but when I was at the Naval Academy, it was all about the statistics. They didn't want to merely allow women in, they wanted to prove progressiveness by showing how many were let in. I think that is logical in a twisted sort of way: it doesn't matter if a job is technically open to women, if there aren't any women in it, it gives the appearance of them being underrepresented. Thus the perceived need to attempt to achieve a better level of statistical equality.

This (ill)logic applies to other forms of affirmative action as well.
I don't think that it's fair to women soldiers (who want to be infantry soldiers and are qualified to be infantry soldiers) to keep them out of the infantry just because some people in America are too immature to accept it.
That's true, but is it really relevant? Perhaps it should be, but I don't think it is.

Last edited:
Let's assume bluemoon has argued successfully on behalf of women, I still have to ask how does allowing females into the infantry make a better infantry? We have no problems with filling our ranks with men and face none of the logistical problems.

As for if Airborne school was made easier, the answer is yes. It had to be. Prior everyone had to do 42 push ups and be able to run five miles in 40 or less. Females must only do 19 push ups and a females average run time is a minute to two minutes slower per mile. How can you keep the same physical rigor when half the group is held to such a lesser standard?

Last edited:
rootX said:
I agreed with some of the points in your previous point but here you are just lacking evidence. I am not willing to believe these statements as such: "Army Airborne School was made a lot easier once they started allowing women to attend it. Also Army Basic Training for the non-combat arms was eased up a lot when they started mixing in women"

From what I have been told by some military friends I know, they had to ease the standards of both when women were mixed in. Also my own experience from going through Infantry OSUT (One Station Unit Training) which is all-male and then conversing with a girl on what training had been like for her in the non-combat arms Basic.

Could you provide information sources?

Regarding Canada, according to this link, 83 women served in the infantry in Afghanistan: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...anadas-combat-positions-in-afghanistan-study/

Regarding Germany, I might have made a mistake on the KSK, however the force is open to women. I could swear reading somewhere though that they had a woman make it through the training recently.

Regarding Israel, Caracal was created for reasons of political correctness back in 2000. It mostly patrols the peaceful Jordanian and Egypt borders, and is used primarily for handling drug and weapons smuggling. They do not use it for any kind of hardcore fighting, although this may be changing because of what's happening with Egypt now. Here is one article: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/israels-only-co-ed-combat-unit-proves-its-worth

Last edited by a moderator:
MarneMath said:
Let's assume bluemoon has argued successfully on behalf of women, I still have to ask how does allowing females into the infantry make a better infantry? We have no problems with filling our ranks with men and face none of the logistical problems.
I don't think either of those is actually true, particularly during the height of the war in Iraq. But even if it were true, drawing from a wider pool would actually enable you to increase the standards, increasing the quality level.

May not sound right but it is. When a lot of us were getting blown apart 11 series was a hard job to enlists for. It got so bad that even ranger contracts were no longer offered and for a few months 11 was closed for enlistment.

Not sure of who, what, when or why, but there were times when enlistment quotas fell far short: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112991/Guard-fails-to-meet-recruiting-quota.html?pg=all

Either way, broader pool = higher standards

I wouldn't consider 04 the height nor guard numbers indicative of active numbers, but even if they were, we are talking about three branches. Armor, artillery and infantry. As I stated before the combat arms never had to fight for enlistment unlike Mi which is always short.

Once again, I'm not sure if that broader pool is worth it if it is not needed and causes more problems than solutions.

russ_watters said:
Either way, broader pool = higher standards

Unfortunately, as MarneMath and Cac have already said, this was simply not the case when women were added to the ranks. Again, as a woman in the military I see the standards first hand, and its very evident that women have negatively impacted physical standards.

You can reference Physical Fitness test charts of any branch and compare how drastically different female requirements are than male. While I agree with some of the adjusted standards (there's no way the average female could compete with the average male regarding push ups and running times) some standards are just way too low, (push ups may be harder for women, but a fit woman should be able to do more than is currently expected). There are simply natural physical differences between men and women.

The presence of a high number of women at a command performing to these lower standards obviously effects the men stationed there as well. However, it's sort of chicken and egg scenario, since commands with high female ratios are usually those far from combat (intel, logistics, etc) and they tend to fair worse with regards to physical standards than those of commands of almost entirely male service members (combat unit, special forces, any of the few remaining units that don't allow females).

But physical standards are really only part of the equation, and arguably less of the equation when modern war-methods are considered. Technology and intel make up a huge proportion of military missions today, and obviously female physical limitations are not really an issue. In fact, some studies show females may out-perform males in such fields. In fact, the military is downsizing and the standards that are most scrutinized are intellectual and skill-based, not physical standards. If you're interested in enlisting, willingness and ability to be cannon fodder is not as valuable as say, computer or engineering skills.

Really, regardless of gender (or any other sort of) equality, the military should be most concerned with getting the best people into the position that best suits them. The fact is, combat is rarely the best fit for a woman because of natural, physical limitations of her body, and it is also a poor fit because of the impact a woman's presence has on those around her. If that same woman is more useful somewhere else, why send her to combat at all?

Gale said:
Unfortunately, as MarneMath and Cac have already said, this was simply not the case when women were added to the ranks. Again, as a woman in the military I see the standards first hand, and its very evident that women have negatively impacted physical standards.
You're right, I was unclear: I meant that a broader pool makes it possible to increase the standards. That doesn't mean it is actually done. In reality, average standards were lowered.

Gale said:
In fact, the military is downsizing and the standards that are most scrutinized are intellectual and skill-based, not physical standards. If you're interested in enlisting, willingness and ability to be cannon fodder is not as valuable as say, computer or engineering skills.

Someone let me know when the U.S. Air Force changes their standards in this way. I've seen too many good people get booted out because they failed to meet PT standards. Which apparently negatively impacts your work performance enough to justify kicking them out, regardless of what your actual job actually is. By the way this has happened to more than one person who was deemed too fat to stay in, yet they were solid muscle from working out 2-4 hours every day. Silly waist measurement...

Drakkith said:
Someone let me know when the U.S. Air Force changes their standards in this way. I've seen too many good people get booted out because they failed to meet PT standards. Which apparently negatively impacts your work performance enough to justify kicking them out, regardless of what your actual job actually is. By the way this has happened to more than one person who was deemed too fat to stay in, yet they were solid muscle from working out 2-4 hours every day. Silly waist measurement...

Somewhat off topic but:
Different branches have different standards. But for all of them there are definitely MINIMUM fitness requirements which are not that difficult to maintain. I emphasize "maintain," (my quoted comment was regarding joining the military.) If they were already in, that means at some point they were within standards and then they let themselves go... That's not just a problem of physical fitness but of motivation and discipline amongst other things. Also, they're not kicked out for one failure, nor are they surprised by the test, and are often on fitness programs designed to help them get within standards. It's a long process before someone is booted for fitness failures.

Also, solid muscle would pass the waist measurement, plus there are other policies to prevent "fit" but heavily muscled individuals from being booted out.

But aside from that, there are many government jobs out there that don't require physical fitness that those friends of yours can and maybe should aim for. Again, the goal of military placement should be the best "man" for the job. Any military position has minimum standards that everyone must meet regardless of other qualifications, gender, race etc. That's where the equality issues come into play. Standards for specific jobs and roles once someone is in the military is a different story. It is much more difficult to cast a blanket of fairness and opportunity over everyone interested in say, combat, when the nature of combat necessarily restricts the types and interactions of people on the line.

Gale said:
Somewhat off topic but:
Different branches have different standards. But for all of them there are definitely MINIMUM fitness requirements which are not that difficult to maintain. I emphasize "maintain," (my quoted comment was regarding joining the military.) If they were already in, that means at some point they were within standards and then they let themselves go... That's not just a problem of physical fitness but of motivation and discipline amongst other things. Also, they're not kicked out for one failure, nor are they surprised by the test, and are often on fitness programs designed to help them get within standards. It's a long process before someone is booted for fitness failures.

Of course. I can't argue against any of that.

Also, solid muscle would pass the waist measurement, plus there are other policies to prevent "fit" but heavily muscled individuals from being booted out.

If there policies such as this in place, I have never heard of them.

But aside from that, there are many government jobs out there that don't require physical fitness that those friends of yours can and maybe should aim for. Again, the goal of military placement should be the best "man" for the job. Any military position has minimum standards that everyone must meet regardless of other qualifications, gender, race etc. That's where the equality issues come into play. Standards for specific jobs and roles once someone is in the military is a different story. It is much more difficult to cast a blanket of fairness and opportunity over everyone interested in say, combat, when the nature of combat necessarily restricts the types and interactions of people on the line.

Perhaps, but when the best person for the job doesn't pass their PT test, it's nothing but a loss of a skilled person for no good reason in my opinion. (But I'm probably already heavily biased)
But anyways, I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll stop posting about this.