Why polyphenols make caffeine (from tea) work slower?

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that polyphenols in tea make caffeine work slower than caffeine from coffee. The source of this claim is a Spanish magazine, but no English equivalent can be found. The link provided discusses L-theanine, an amino acid found in tea, potentially affecting the tea experience. However, the article is not convinced of this claim. The conversation also brings up the idea that oxidized catechins in tea may increase caffeine absorption in the gut, but this has not been proven. Ultimately, the effects of caffeine depend on the amount ingested, the timing, and individual sensitivity.
ORF
Hello

Why polyphenols make caffeine (from tea) work slower than caffeine from coffee?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF

Biology news on Phys.org
ORF said:
Why polyphenols make caffeine (from tea) work slower than caffeine from coffee?

I suggest you provide a source for where you are getting this claim - either a link, if you found it online, or a quote from a book or article, if that's where you got it from.

Likes ORF
Hello

I have read that from a Spanish magazine. I tried to look for the equivalent English version but I was not able to find anything similar (and, of course, there was no reference to the source...).

I found that it is not so clear why tea affect in a slower way than coffee.
http://blog.dominiontea.com/2014/08/21/caffeine-tea-different/

Maybe the correct and enough general question should be:
What makes caffeine (from tea) work slower than coffee?

Thank you for your time

Regards,
ORF

Levels of catechins (polyphenols) in green tea are usually related this way: more catechins -> less caffeine per unit weight of tea leaves. And oxidized catechins increase the rate of caffeine absorption in the gut. So, I am with @UsableThought, could you please supply a citation?

Polyphenols can act as anti-nutrient for heme iron (heme iron is the form in which bioavailability of iron is high):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306181/

I see you did provide a citation. The Dominion Tea link you gave has links to pubmed at the bottom. It discusses L-theanine which is not caffeine, it is a kind of amino acid. Actually a glutamic acid analog. Found in some plants and fungi, not people. Is this what you mean?

ORF said:
Maybe the correct and enough general question should be: What makes caffeine (from tea) work slower than coffee?

I have a couple of books on caffeine (Buzz and The World of Caffeine) and have read many journal articles; but I haven't come across anything that says caffeine itself works any differently in coffee vs. tea. And the article you cite agrees with me, if you read the last paragraph before their sources - they mention that maybe L-theanine (an additional component of some teas) might make some difference in the tea experience, but they're not really convinced. My own opinion is that L-theanine has a lot of hype associated with it, e.g. vitamin/herb/supplement companies like to sell it as a pill for relaxation or calm.

@jim mcnamara mentions that oxidized catechins increase caffeine absorption in the gut, which certainly wouldn't equate to tea having a "slower" effect; I have done a quick Google but don't immediately find information about this phenomenon.

My own view would be that people who try to persuade you that the caffeine in this or that sort of beverage has a slower or gentler or less harsh effect than caffeine in coffee are either deluding themselves, or if they are selling it as a product, trying to delude other people. You will sometimes see yerba mate praised for being gentler than coffee but still conducive to alertness, for example. This is all pretty much BS, as what really matters with caffeine is how much you ingest; e.g. tea tends to contain less than coffee, but still has plenty. Other factors that matter are when you take it; how habituated you are to it; and how inherently sensitive your body is to it. People vary quite a bit in terms of sensitivity.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. Why do polyphenols make caffeine work slower?

Polyphenols are plant compounds that are found in tea leaves. They have been shown to bind to caffeine molecules, which can reduce the absorption of caffeine in the body. This means that it takes longer for caffeine to reach the brain, resulting in a slower onset of its effects.

2. How do polyphenols affect the absorption of caffeine?

Polyphenols are known to inhibit certain enzymes in the body that are responsible for breaking down caffeine. This leads to a slower rate of caffeine absorption, as the caffeine molecules are not being broken down and absorbed as quickly.

3. Does the type of tea affect the amount of polyphenols present?

Yes, the type of tea does affect the amount of polyphenols present. Green tea, for example, has a higher concentration of polyphenols compared to black tea. This is because green tea is less processed, which allows for more polyphenols to remain in the leaves.

4. Are polyphenols beneficial for health?

Yes, polyphenols have been linked to various health benefits, such as reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and even potentially preventing certain types of cancer. However, more research is needed to fully understand the extent of these potential benefits.

5. Can polyphenols be found in other foods besides tea?

Yes, polyphenols can be found in a variety of plant-based foods, including fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. Some examples of foods with high polyphenol content include blueberries, dark chocolate, and red wine.