Why race cars have stationary spoilers?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter mastermechanic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Race
In summary, active spoilers are used in motorsports to reduce drag and increase traction. They can be set to different levels of downforce depending on the application. There is a weight cost to active spoilers, but the benefit is great under racing conditions.
mastermechanic
I frequently hear something like "...this car have stationary spoiler like race cars" bla bla. Why are stationary spoilers used in motorsports? Active spoilers are very useful for breaking and accelerating. I want to know the reason behind it.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mastermechanic said:
I frequently hear something like "...this car have stationary spoiler like race cars" bla bla. Why are stationary spoilers used in motorsports? Active spoilers are very useful for breaking and accelerating. I want to know the reason behind it.

Thanks.
You want to achieve maximal traction by minimal resistance and friction. Spoilers normally increase the pressure towards the road to increase traction and have a design that helps to avoid air resistance, esp. vortices. Take formula one cars for example. Nowadays their design is that of an airplane which is pressed on the track by aerodynamic design including spoilers of which some cannot be seen from above or from far.

Are you using the word 'spoilers' specifically or aerodynamic devices generically? Wings, etc. One reason is that regs from the relevant sanctioning bodies often rule out active aerodynamic devices. Other cases aerodynamic devices are specified by regs or vehicle homologation. I suspect failure of the active device could be an issue as well. Youtube have quite a few videos of sudden mechanical of wings. I recall the skirts of the ground-effect era F1 cars were banned due to the danger resulting from loss of downforce when the skirts lost contact with the track such as when bouncing over kerbs. Failure of an active spoiler in cornering with loss of the assisted braking and downforce could be catastrophic if it takes a driver by surprise.

Last edited:
Some years ago an F1 car was fitted with an engine powered fan to suck it down onto the track. I recall it kicked up a lot of debris and movable aerodynamic devices were banned.

A better question would be «Why do we use active spoilers?»

The rear spoilers can be used to reduce drag by setting the flow separation further back on the body. At the same time, it helps increasing stability by setting rearward the center of pressure further away from the center of gravity. Which, in turns, reduces rear lift (increases rear downforce).

The front spoilers block the flow going underneath the car, thus decreasing the pressure below the car, thus reducing lift (or increasing downforce).

When a car has lift or downforce, it usually creates drag. Since a typical car has some lift in its basic design, by adding a spoiler to just remove this lift force, you also reduce drag. When you further increase the spoiler effect, you then create downforce, thus increasing the drag.

When a rear spoiler begins to look more like a wing, then you are in an extreme case of downforce and drag is definitely induced.

So with stationary spoilers, you set them to a position that will give you the best compromise between drag and downforce for your particular application.

If you have active spoilers, then you can adjust them to «low drag» when you want fuel economy or try to reach higher speeds or you can set them to «high downforce» when you want to increase traction & stability. You can also set them to «high drag» when you are slowing down to assist your braking system.

Is there a weight cost to active spoilers?
Is there enough benefit from an active spoiler versus a fixed spoiler to offset that cost?

DaveC426913 said:
Is there a weight cost to active spoilers?
Is there enough benefit from an active spoiler versus a fixed spoiler to offset that cost?
The benefit is enormous under racing conditions where you really need the downforce in corners but must minimize drag on the straights. In many classes the weight is essentially free because it just reduces the amount of ballast that needs to be added to bring the car up to the minimum weight required by the regulations.

The other problems are mechanical complexity, increased cost, increased danger to spectators and drivers because the speeds are so much higher and because failure of the active device means that the car is suddenly uncontrollable. None of these are high on the priority list of a formula team that wants to win.

Likes Rx7man, Asymptotic and DaveC426913
insane spoirlers.jpg
The main reason you do not see active aero devices ( spoilers, splitters etc) is the governing rules of the sanctioning organization. Their reasoning is cost cutting as a fixed piece of fiber galss or carbon fiber is cheaper than one with an activating mechanism. In Nascar they really clamp down on any adjustments as a safety consideration. On super speedways they know exactly the aero down force and can limit "safe speed" to a point. In F1 if you give them an inch they will take 2 miles. Just look back to the ridiculous twin wing things that ran in the 1970s. Racing at the local level is sanctioned to keep some kind of cost savings. Regulations limit you to a hard " spec tire" or limit the number of new tires you can race in anyone event to cut cost..hahahah..right. In the Saturday night bull rings that week end racer run, you are limited to fixed spoilers at set height, width and in some cases, angles. Material is dictated as well. Clear plastic so drivers following the lead car can see the lead cars driver when he signals signals.
We all know active aero is the hot ticket but its a rules thing.

Last edited:
Likes Rx7man
Formula 1 has modified their position on active spoilers which are now called the "DRS" (Drag reduction system) in which allows part of the spoiler blade to be flattened to reduce the spoiler drag and the racer regulators determine the "DRS zones" of each race course and electronically control where this device can be activated by a driver (as long as his car is within 1 second of the car ahead of his). The drag reduction benefit of these devices for passing can be clearly seen when activated to achieve a pass on the leading car.

As I recall (before DRS) one team experimented with using the drivers knee to block air flowing through a tube. This air was then routed in such a way that it stalled or unstalled the rear wing changing it's drag properties.

By the way, I have recently read an information about formula regulations. It's forbidden to use active wings on the vehicle.

If I remember correctly about the time of Senna's death F1 cars had active spoilers and active suspension. There were a number of accidents involving the failure of these components. I remember one were the car, traveling at speed, flew into the air because the active suspension failed and the car defaulted to its maximum height. I believe that it was in part because of Senna's death that these things were banned.

Cheers

My mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 twin turbo came from the factory moving front and rear spoilers...and a dual mode muffling system so they do exist but the only moving aero I consider useful is in reducing excessive lift as found in the audi TT and VW beetle...etc...you know...cars that have insane amounts of lift at speed as to be dangerous.

Really, the reasons you don't see moving aero in racing (other than the cheating).

1. They are not legal in most classes.

2. It is hard to maintain the perfect "balance" of front and rear downforce with moving aero.

Balance is far more important than the amount of downforce.

1. Why do race cars have stationary spoilers?

Race cars have stationary spoilers for aerodynamic purposes. The spoiler creates downforce, which helps to keep the car stable at high speeds and improves traction and handling. This is especially important for race cars, as they often travel at very high speeds.

2. Can race cars function without a stationary spoiler?

While race cars can technically function without a stationary spoiler, it would significantly impact their performance. Without a spoiler, the car would have less downforce and would be more prone to losing traction and stability at high speeds. This would make it much more difficult to control and could result in accidents.

3. Why are race car spoilers stationary instead of adjustable?

Stationary spoilers are more common in race cars because they are simpler and more reliable. Adjustable spoilers require complex mechanisms and can be prone to malfunction. Additionally, in many racing leagues, adjustable spoilers are not allowed as they can give certain cars an unfair advantage.

4. Do all race cars have the same size of stationary spoiler?

No, the size and shape of the stationary spoiler can vary depending on the type of race car and the track where it will be racing. Some tracks may require a longer or taller spoiler for better downforce, while others may have restrictions on the size of the spoiler.

5. Can the angle of the stationary spoiler be adjusted?

In most cases, the angle of the stationary spoiler cannot be adjusted. However, some race cars do have adjustable angle spoilers, which can be useful for fine-tuning the downforce depending on the track conditions. However, as mentioned before, this is not allowed in all racing leagues.