Why the path independence theorem does not work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the integral (z^2-2z+1)dz over a contour C with direction marked by increasing y, where -2≤y≤2 and x=5. The first approach is to solve the integral using the classical method, which yields a result of 176i/3. However, when trying to apply the path independence theorem, the result obtained is -4i/3, which is different from the first approach. The conversation ends with a question about why the path independence theorem did not work in this case.
oahsen

Homework Statement

where C is the contour given with direction marked by increasing y, and where -2≤y≤2 , compute itgeral(z^2-2z+1)dz. With the condition x=5;

Firstly I solved the auestion with the classical way ;
taking z= 5 + it where -2≤t≤2;
we take the i*integral((5+it)^2-2(5+it) +1)dt from t=-2 to t=2 and I found the result as
176i/3.

Then I tried to use the path independence theorem. The antiderivative of z^2-2z+1 is z^3/3 - z^2 + z then taking the integral from 2i to -2i yields -4i/3. So the two answers are different. Why the path independence theorem did not work here?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
integral((5+it)^2-2(5+it) +1)
That makes no sense; you have to integrate with respect to some variable. It looks like you just erased the dz from the original integral before getting to this point!

Hurkyl said:
That makes no sense; you have to integrate with respect to some variable. It looks like you just erased the dz from the original integral before getting to this point!

sorry , I made a mistyping now I corrected it. There I used the formula
integral(f(z)dz) over a contour c = integral(f(z(t))* z'(t)) dt .

oahsen said:
Why the path independence theorem did not work here?
Your paths don't have the same endpoints, do they?

Incidentally,
The antiderivative of z^2-2z+1 is z^3/3 - z^2 + z
It's not the antiderivative; it's an antiderivative. (But that's not relevant here)

Related to Why the path independence theorem does not work?

1. Why is the path independence theorem important in science?

The path independence theorem is important in science because it helps to simplify complex problems by allowing scientists to focus on the end result, rather than the path taken to get there. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering where the end result is often more important than the specific steps taken to achieve it.

2. What is the definition of path independence?

Path independence is a mathematical concept that states that the value of a function or quantity is independent of the path taken to reach that value. In other words, the end result is the same regardless of the specific steps taken to get there.

3. In what situations does the path independence theorem not apply?

The path independence theorem does not apply in situations where there are irreversible processes or where there is a dependence on the initial or boundary conditions. It also does not apply in non-conservative systems, such as those involving friction or other dissipative forces.

4. How does the violation of the path independence theorem affect scientific research?

The violation of the path independence theorem can complicate scientific research by making it more difficult to predict and control outcomes. This is particularly true in complex systems where small changes in initial conditions or the path taken can have significant impacts on the end result.

5. Are there any real-life examples where the path independence theorem does not hold true?

Yes, there are many real-life examples where the path independence theorem does not hold true. One example is the flow of a river, where the path taken by the water can affect the erosion and sedimentation patterns, leading to different outcomes. Another example is the stock market, where the path taken by the market can greatly impact the final value of a stock. Weather patterns and ecological systems are also examples where the path independence theorem does not always apply.