Why use point-slope form for linear equations?

In summary, the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, is called as such because m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. However, in different parts of the world, different variables may be used to denote the slope and intercept. For example, in Russia, the slope is often denoted by k. Some people may also prefer to use different variables, such as s for slope. Ultimately, the names of the variables do not affect the formula itself, which remains y = mx + b.
mathdad
Why is y = mx + b called the slope-intercept form?

Why is m the chosen variable for slope?

Why is b the chosen variable representing the y-intercept?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Why is y = mx + b called the slope-intercept form?
Because $m$ is the slope and $b$ is the $y$-intercept.

RTCNTC said:
Why is m the chosen variable for slope?

Why is b the chosen variable representing the y-intercept?
If you mean the variable names $m$ and $b$, they are such only in some circles. In Russia, for example, it is customary to denote the slope by $k$, though the intercept is still often denoted by $b$. You are free to call than any names, such as $y=\xi x+\aleph$.

I like s for slope. I guess b is ok for the y-intercept.

I like it this way: y = sx + b or f(x) = sx + b.

RTCNTC said:
I like s for slope.
This makes sense.

For the point-slope, I like y - b = s(x - a), where a and b are the coordinates of the point (a, b).

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It typically takes the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This is typically done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any other terms or numbers on that side of the equation.

3. What is the slope-intercept form of a linear equation?

The slope-intercept form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This form is useful for graphing linear equations as it clearly shows the slope and y-intercept of the line.

4. What does the slope of a linear equation represent?

The slope of a linear equation represents the rate of change of the line. It tells you how much the y-value changes for every one unit increase in the x-value. A positive slope means the line is increasing, while a negative slope means the line is decreasing.

5. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

No, a linear equation can only have one solution. This is because a linear equation represents a straight line, which can only intersect the x-axis and y-axis at one point. If you have two or more solutions, then you likely have a system of equations rather than a single linear equation.