Wick's theorem and Nucleon scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses Wick's theorem and the calculation of the second line of equation 3.48 in the context of nucleon-nucleon scattering. It is determined that the normal-ordering symbol can be omitted as the right-hand side is already in a normal-ordered form. The calculation is to be done in free-field theory and the use of the annihilation operator for psi is justified. The conversation also includes a calculation of the equation, with the conclusion that psi and psi^+ can be treated as b and b^+ respectively for convenience in normal-ordering.
Ken Gallock
Hi.
My question is about nucleon-nucleon scattering.
In David Tong's lecture note, he discusses Wick's theorem and nucleon scattering (page 58-60).
My problem is that I don't know how to calculate the second line of eq(3.48):
\begin{equation}
<p'_1, p'_2|:\psi^\dagger (x_1) \psi (x_1) \psi^\dagger (x_2) \psi (x_2): |p_1, p_2>
=<p'_1, p'_2|\psi^\dagger (x_1) \psi^\dagger (x_2) |0><0| \psi (x_1) \psi (x_2) |p_1, p_2>.
\end{equation}

Especially,
1. what happened to normal ordering?
2. where ##|0><0|## came from?

My guess is normal ordering was used for ##\psi (x_1) \psi^\dagger (x_2) \rightarrow \psi^\dagger (x_2) \psi (x_1) ##. But isn't normal ordering used for ordering ##\hat{b}, \hat{c}## rather than ##\psi##?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The right-hand side is written in a normal-ordered form, so we can omit the normal-ordering symbol.

2. The calculation is to be don in free-field theory. ##\psi## is an annihilation operator. The two ##psi##'s either annihilate the two particles in the initial state, leaving the ground state (up to a factor which needs to be computed), or they annihilate the state completely. Thus, if we insert a complete set of states, only the ground state will contribute.

Sorry for my late reply. Somehow I didn't get the notification. :(
Your reply helped me a lot. I did calculation as follows:

\begin{align}
&\langle f|: \psi^\dagger(x_1)\psi(x_1)\psi^\dagger(x_2)\psi(x_2) :|i\rangle \notag \\
&=\langle f| \psi^\dagger(x_1)\psi^\dagger(x_2)\psi(x_1)\psi(x_2) |i\rangle \notag \\
&=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \langle f| \psi^\dagger(x_1)\psi^\dagger(x_2) |n\rangle \langle n | \psi(x_1)\psi(x_2) |i\rangle \notag \\
&\sim \sum_{n=0}^\infty \langle 0| bb(b^\dagger +c)(b^\dagger+c ) |n\rangle \langle n | (b+c^\dagger)
(b+c^\dagger)b^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle \notag \\
&=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \langle 0| bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |n\rangle \langle n | bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle \notag \\
&=\langle 0| bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle \langle 0 | bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \langle 0| bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |n\rangle \langle n | bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle \notag \\
&=\langle 0| bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle \langle 0 | bbb^\dagger b^\dagger |0 \rangle \notag \\
&=\langle f| \psi^\dagger(x_1)\psi^\dagger(x_2) |0 \rangle \langle 0 | \psi(x_1)\psi(x_2) |i\rangle . \notag
\end{align}

Hi, thanks for putting how you did the calculation. I am also going through Tong's (generally excellent) course and came across the same issue. For future reference, I think the reason we may treat psi in this case as an annihilation operator and psi^+ as a creation operator is because only the 'b' annihilation component of the psi, used in both of them, can 'get rid' of the 2 b^+ in the final state, and only the 'b^+' creation component of the psi+ can build them back up again at a different momentum (remember that the process we are looking at is scattering, implying change of momentum, not the zeroth order non-interacting term). Thus, psi ~ b and psi^+ ~ b^+, and we may simply normal-order the psi, psi^+ for convenience. I agree that it is not made very clear in the notes.

1. What is Wick's theorem?

Wick's theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of correlation functions. It allows for the expansion of a product of operators into a series of single-operator terms, making complex calculations more manageable.

2. How is Wick's theorem applied in nucleon scattering?

In nucleon scattering, Wick's theorem is used to calculate the scattering amplitude, which is a measure of the probability of a particle scattering off of a target nucleus. By applying Wick's theorem, the scattering amplitude can be expressed in terms of simpler single-particle terms, making the calculation more efficient.

3. What is the relationship between Wick's theorem and Feynman diagrams?

Wick's theorem and Feynman diagrams are both tools used in quantum field theory. Wick's theorem is used to simplify calculations, while Feynman diagrams are used to visualize the interactions between particles. The terms generated by Wick's theorem can be represented by Feynman diagrams, making it easier to understand the physical processes involved in nucleon scattering.

4. Are there any limitations to using Wick's theorem in nucleon scattering?

Wick's theorem is a powerful mathematical tool, but it has limitations when applied to nucleon scattering. It is most effective in situations where there are only a few particles involved, and it becomes increasingly complicated as the number of particles increases. Additionally, Wick's theorem assumes that the particles are non-interacting, which may not always be the case in nucleon scattering.

5. Can Wick's theorem be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, Wick's theorem has applications in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. It is a fundamental tool in many fields of theoretical physics and is constantly being refined and extended to solve new problems and make more accurate predictions.