Will a Not Passing Grade in a GE Course Affect My Chances for Graduate School?

In summary: So I think discussing that in some way would be helpful in addressing why this is a problem now but wasn't then.1) I think it would be a good idea to discuss your drug addiction in some way. It might show that you've since recovered and have learned from your mistakes.2) Having failed a course in general education could be a deciding factor against you.
Thomas Brady
So i am currently going into my third year in the fall and this summer I'm taking a few courses and finally got my first opportunity to participate in some research. Problem is there is a good chance I will get a NP (not pass) in a GE class I am taking. I am going to a UC so an NP does not impact gpa. How much weight will gtad schools put on this considering I am doing some research and likely to do well in all the physics classes I am taking. I've had some personal issues over the last year which lead to some slight downswings in GPA as well but nothing worse than straight B's one quarter and I've improved since but this summer some unfortunate things have happened along with a large workload which led to me most likely getting an NP in this course. Again assuming I continue to do well in physics and research will this be a large factor in graduate school's considerations?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) If we say it'll be a large factor, what would you do about it?
2) If I saw your transcript, I'd say it looks like you're not really interested in working hard if it doesn't really interest you.

1) Nothing I can do other than try to pass just wondering
2) I have done well in other GE courses but also why would a grad school care so much about that if I am going there to pursue specific research interests

Thomas Brady said:
1) Nothing I can do other than try to pass just wondering

OK, nothing you can do about it. No reason to let it bother you then.

2) I have done well in other GE courses but also why would a grad school care so much about that if I am going there to pursue specific research interests

Again, they don't care about the specifics of your GE course. But they might care that you only do well when you're interested in something. Obviously I have no idea how the grad school would react, but I'm just giving a possible way of seeing it.

I don't think it's a show stopper, but it will impact you somewhat. Remember graduate school admissions is usually a competitive process and you'll be competing against other students who did not fail their general education classes. How much weight that will be given depends on the committee members and what other factors are at play. If you're the only student in the pool who has two research publications and your references both state that you wrote those papers yourself, then it's not likely to be a factor. If on the other hand, you're one of three students who all have similar GPA and research experience and they only have one spot, having failed a course could be a decisive factor against you.

And there are a few reasons why general education courses are seen as important.

First, you chose to do them. I realize there is often a mandatory element, but remember you chose that particular program in the first place. So if you fail, it draws into question things like you're ability to complete a commitment that you've made. Sometimes there are perfectly acceptable reasons for failing. A large workload is not one of them.

Secondly, although graduate work focuses on a very specific field and project, you're still being trained to be an academic. Later in your career (or even as a student) you could end up on university committees that involve people from other academic disciplines and you need to be able to interact with them. That can be tough to do if you failed out of their 101 classes.

Third, once you enter the program, you essentially become an abmassador for the school and the program itself. They'll want to know that you're likely to be successful in all the things you go on to do afterward - not all of a which are going to be in your field.

Okay, valid points. So I've heard of the optional essay you may write for grad school discussing weaknesses in your application. Now this may be a bit personal, but basically, the main reason for the weaknesses in my application (i.e. the NP and some other not great grades) is an addiction to drugs, which was spawned by depression, which was spawned by my affiliation with people who had been deceiving/stealing from me and it really just put my mood in a terrible place because these were people I considered very close and they were my only friends at the time excluding one person so it was unfortunate. Anyway, the drug addiction is kind of what led me to be passionate about this stuff because I began to feel so purposeless and question things so much that I turned to physics/the study of the natural world because it was the only thing that seemed to capture the mysteriousness and beauty of life in such a natural way and it did not depend on people. Anyway, it is an odd story, but it took me about a year to really figure this out and then quit my drug addiction, and in fact this summer is when I finally quit cold turkey. I did decently well in school during the time excluding really this NP, but the point is, would grad schools even accept this as a valid reason/excuse for poor grades or would it just be viewed as something I brought upon myself, which it mostly is.

Related to Will a Not Passing Grade in a GE Course Affect My Chances for Graduate School?

1. Why is it important to pass a GE course?

Passing a GE course is important because it is a requirement for graduation. These courses are designed to provide students with a well-rounded education and introduce them to a variety of subjects outside of their major. Additionally, a passing grade in a GE course can fulfill prerequisites for other courses that are necessary for your major.

2. What happens if I don't pass a GE course?

If you do not pass a GE course, you may be required to retake the course in order to fulfill graduation requirements. This can delay your graduation and may also affect your GPA negatively. It is important to put in the effort and pass the course on your first attempt to avoid any potential setbacks.

3. Can I still graduate if I don't pass one or more GE courses?

It depends on the requirements set by your specific university or program. Some institutions may allow you to graduate with a certain number of failed GE courses, while others may require you to pass all GE courses in order to graduate. It is important to check with your academic advisor or refer to your university's graduation requirements to determine if failing a GE course will prevent you from graduating.

4. What can I do to improve my chances of passing a GE course?

To increase your chances of passing a GE course, you can attend all lectures and actively participate in class discussions. You should also take advantage of any study materials provided by the instructor and seek help from tutors or attend study sessions if you are struggling with the material. Additionally, managing your time effectively and staying organized can also help you stay on top of your coursework and perform well in the course.

5. Can I retake a GE course if I fail it?

Yes, you can typically retake a GE course if you fail it. However, it is important to check with your university's policies on retaking courses as there may be limitations on the number of times you can retake a course or how it will affect your GPA. It is also important to consider the reasons why you failed the course and make necessary changes to your study habits and approach to ensure success the second time around.