Will AI Destroy Humanity: The Future of Home Computing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential advancements in home computing in the next 50-100 years, such as real-time Google Earth and mind-computer interfaces. The topic of artificial intelligence is also brought up, with one person expressing concern about the potential risks and implications of creating highly intelligent machines. The conversation ends with a debate about the likelihood of a dramatic collision between humans and AI, with varying opinions on the feasibility and consequences of such a possibility.
Tregg Smith
Any thoughts on what home computing will be like in 50 years? How about 100 years. Real time Google Earth for sure. Much more mind to computer interface. We might put something like a headset on that would read brain info. Artificial intelligence? Here's a quote from another post here- "To quote Bill Gates: "I've never doubtd in the magic of software". I am a firm believer that AI has to do mostly with the way the program is programmed and not in the number of transistors - actually the whole transistor argument is kind of laghuable, now that i have thought about it for...days and weeks. Hence, the whole question in my opinion is not: Will they become - but: is it wise to create them so smart? What are the real implications of computers destroying Earth once we make them so smart? I think the chance for a dramatic collision between humans and AI is relatively big. It's not the safest bet...but...we won't be humans if we don't try

Computer science news on Phys.org
Tregg Smith said:
Real time Google Earth for sure.

Really? Do you think privacy laws will allow that?
Much more mind to computer interface. We might put something like a headset on that would read brain info.

We already have that, it's not very good. It's not about reading "brain info", it's about tracking what the brain does (you think "move right" and the computer recognises it as the signal to move the item right etc).

There is a big difference between scanning for electrical activity in the brain and 'reading' thoughts and outputting them (I think of a flower, the computer can interpret it and show a picture of that thought).
Artificial intelligence?

A tricky one, unlikely in my own view.
What are the real implications of computers destroying Earth once we make them so smart?

Assuming we get AI (or just a computer system we can't stop, not necessarily AI) the implications of computers destroying Earth would be, well, Earth is destroyed.
I think the chance for a dramatic collision between humans and AI is relatively big. It's not the safest bet...but...we won't be humans if we don't try

The chance is "relatively big"? Based on what? So far we're not even close to AI, we don't even agree on what would constitute AI. Let alone create a machine capable of Terminator style antics.

What is "Home computing 2050"?

"Home computing 2050" refers to the potential advancements and changes in technology that may occur in the field of home computing by the year 2050.

What are some possible features of home computing in 2050?

Possible features of home computing in 2050 could include artificial intelligence, virtual and augmented reality, advanced voice and gesture recognition, and seamless integration with other devices and appliances.

Will home computing in 2050 be accessible to everyone?

It is likely that home computing in 2050 will be more accessible to a wider range of people due to advancements in technology and potential improvements in affordability. However, accessibility may still be limited for certain individuals based on factors such as location and socioeconomic status.

How will home computing in 2050 impact our daily lives?

Home computing in 2050 could greatly impact our daily lives by streamlining tasks, improving communication and connectivity, and enhancing overall convenience and efficiency. It may also lead to changes in the way we work, learn, and interact with technology and each other.

What are some potential concerns or challenges with home computing in 2050?

Potential concerns with home computing in 2050 could include privacy and security issues, dependence on technology, and potential job displacement due to automation. It will also be important to ensure that advancements in technology are utilized ethically and responsibly.